VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
DanTheVanMan
sasktrini
G-Man
7 posters

Rare part and Great News for Econo owners

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Rare part and Great News for Econo owners Empty Rare part and Great News for Econo owners

Post by G-Man Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:43 pm

EconoUSAparts (Tim) brought some cool items to Baker's to show eveyone. First a rare folding Drivers econo seat

Rare part and Great News for Econo owners 100_1311

Rare part and Great News for Econo owners 100_1312

Heres the Great News!!! So you want a dual master cyl, but can't find a 67 to rob parts off of???
    Well Tim brought a proto type dual Master cyl from D&D econo brake parts that anyone who wants a dual master cyl can have one. I'll let Tim give you the details.
    Rare part and Great News for Econo owners 100_1313

Rare part and Great News for Econo owners 100_1314

Rare part and Great News for Econo owners 100_1315
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Rare part and Great News for Econo owners Empty Re: Rare part and Great News for Econo owners

Post by sasktrini Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:03 pm

WOW! Too cool! afro
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Rare part and Great News for Econo owners Empty Re: Rare part and Great News for Econo owners

Post by DanTheVanMan Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:21 pm

Yep! That's some cool stuff! bounce

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Rare part and Great News for Econo owners Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:52 pm

The top one shown is the rare 67 Econo dual master cylinder which mounts exactly the same as the single bowl 61-66 style. To convert to the 67 you need the pedal and pushrod from a 67 also and the brake light switch.
    What you see in the picture I just received a few days ago from Dennis of D and D Brakes in Oregon,who also makes a sweet disc conversion kit for our early Econolines. This is a prototype bracket he sent me but he has the final version brackets available and ready for purchase now. Basically they're exactly the same except with a hair shaved off one spot to allow for better clearance. I ve looked it over very closely and feel it's a real winner. NOTHING currently better on the market for sure. The bracket uses a modern day Ford Ranger master cylinder "modified to a remote fill" and will work with drum,disc,or combination disc/drum brake setups so it works for everyone. The master cylinder itself is very cheap so if it ever fails its easy to obtain and very affordable too.
    The bracket is very high quality and looks awsome. No garage fabrication here. Its high quality CNC constructed. It was designed to appears as if it belongs there in the first place. No rough or square edges or welds,nice rounded edges,curved steel precision bent brackets professionally interlocked, welded and ground. I cant say enuf about its quality,strength and design. It incorporates a self lubricating bronze brake pedal bushing and a grease fitting also. The bracket is designed to use the stock 61-66 brake pedal, push rod,and boot which is highly common. D and D provides a new adjustable mechanical brake light switch along with an attaching bracket so no need for the old pressure switch, which is another great advantage.
    The emergency brake assembly attaches to the bracket just like it did to the old master cylinder so it keeps it installed in the stock location which is great. The only modification to the e-brake assembly needed is to cut a small half moon arch out (roughly half the size of a nickel) near the bottom to allow for the front brake line to pass thru it,actually under it after the cut is made. It still leaves everything appearing stock to the untrained eye,even to most trained eyes I would bet.
    Depending on how you route your fill lines you may want to cut out other holes to make routing easier. As it is,the lines can be shot straight out the rear but the bracket is designed with cutout holes to the passenger side to allow for lines in that direction also. You would simply cut matching holes in the e-brake bracket if you routed the lines in that direction.
    The new master cylinder itself matches all the specs of the factory 67 dual so its a no brainer as a replacement. Cylinder bore and piston stroke length are identical. All you need to do is decide on disc or drum and use the appropriate residual valves in each line. Drums require a 10lb and discs a 2 lb. This will work on any of the applications you decide but if you are dead certain about discs theres another master cylinder D and D will provide at same price that fits this bracket that has a slightly smaller bore which would provide even better braking power.
    Either one will work just fine on discs,the first one as stated is an exact match to the stock dual which most folks have been using for many years on their discs with no problems whatsoever. The 2nd is just one step better.
    This bracket also accepts a 3rd master cylinder which is currently in use by Mike Ouellete in Nevada on his 61 pro street pickup. Its one made by ECI brakes in Conneticut and is for those who like a little flashier looking master cylinder for that extra show appeal. ECI is an excellent company and Ralph at ECI really knows his stuff inside and out when it comes to brakes. Ralph was just tickled pink with the new D and D setup when Mike talked to him. Both Dennis of D and D and myself have since talked with him and everyone is in agreement that this setup is a winner.
    The new master cylinder is not a "from the factory" remote fill reservoir. Its designed to have the reservoir fill bowl on top of it. D and D have machined new fittings in place of it and tapped those to accept elbow fittings which the remote fill hoses would attach to. From there you just choose which type lines you want and which reservoir you need plus where you are locating it and you supply them yourself. There are too many different combinations available so D and D has left that up to the individual to decide.
    The rear outlet line fitting on the master exits right into the e-brake post so a new banjo fitting has been installed which redirects it.
    This thing is NEAT. A ton of thought,time, and research has been put into its design for well over a year. This isnt some thrown together rush job idea by any means whatsoever. I wouldnt sing its praises if I didnt truly believe it to be a great product. I ll still keep my stock 67 master's on my current vehicles that have them but I can absolutely say for sure I ll be using this new setup on my 3 current project Econos. The ease of the remote fill is a great selling point for me along with the added bonus of total availabiltiy of the new Ford master just about anywhere you would go.
    Pricewise compared to the 67 and resleeving it depends. If you dont have a 67 and need to buy the whole setup its gonna be pretty pricey. $200 or so for the core and pedal,plus shipping both ways to resleeve it,then a rebuild kit and brake light,easily over $350 and you still have to clean it up and paint it all if its old and rusty like most and get new brake lines to plumb it in since it routes different than the single one. Dont forget the new pedal bushing either.
    The complete D and D setup is $350 plus tax and shipping or bracket only for $175, but have fun machining your own fittings and obtaining all the other specialty pieces. After you buy the residual valves and brake lines I would think this whole install would be under $400 and its got the benefits of remote fill so no more lifting up the mat to check and add fluid.
    The stock 67 or the new D and D,either is fine but the stock 67 is getting almost impossible to find anymore so this has come along at the right time. Contact D and D thru their website or I ll be glad to answer any questions. No current info about this setup is on their site yet but it will be soon.
    Compared to the bracket shown on The Modern Form website this is by far a better choice. That bracket alone costs $300 and relocates the master cylinder 8" rearward which doesnt appear stock at all. Its also designed to work with a Wilwood master cylinder which costs another $130.00. Additionally it doesnt provide a new mechanical brake light switch. This setup will easily be over $500 so you decide on which is best but Im sure most will agree on D and D for quality,price,benefits,and somewhat stock appearance.
    Lastly,I dont work for D and D,sell D and D parts,and Dennis isnt paying me to say this. I have conferred with Dennis over the past year about this during its design stages and thats where my involvement stops. D and D made this happen and did all the final legwork so please give them the credit and your business if you feel as I do. When something is right,it's just right,enuf said.

NOTHING IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOUR LIFE,THE LIVES OF OTHERS,AND THE ABILITY TO SAFELY STOP YOUR VEHICLE

Post by Guest Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:00 pm

i'm on the program
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:25 pm

Steve I talked with Dennis earlier. Already he has sold about 10 kits. I knew this would go over big. Someone was impressed enough to contact him about him seriously designing something for the A100's also. The craftsmanship of the bracket is excellent.

Post by Guest Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:43 pm

yeah i'm stoked! i had a good look at the pictures here and weighed the options and went for it. i had a nice surprise when i took the wheels off the van and saw that the owner previous had replaced all the brake components and drums. that saved me a lot of cash. but the dual resevoir is the only real way to ensure a decent level of safety even with top notch brakes. its an affordable scenario for modrenizing the brakes and is totally required in my opinion to be a safe driver. i'll never forget the polara...

Post by Guest Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:26 pm

how do i get one.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:34 pm

Contact Dennis at D and D brakes thru the website....just google it. They make a nice disc conversion kit also.

Post by Guest Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:52 pm

i tried but no word yet
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:51 am

That looks great Tim! Excellent stuff! Nice to think that maybe a Ranger would be a good donor for our vans and trucks!
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:14 pm

I ll PM you his cell number. He gets up pretty early and is on west coast time.
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:28 pm

Tim, are you coming to Arkansas for Labor Day?

Later,
    Rip
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:29 pm

Rip,I doubt it. Funds are limited this year.

Post by Guest Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:48 pm

I will be getting the kit for my 65 in a couple of weeks.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:38 am

Tim (or Dennis if you're watching),
    1) What Ranger MCs match the Econoline for cylinder bore and piston stroke?
    2) Would Dennis be selling Ranger MC retrofittings (did I just invent a word? Laughing )? I think the perfect location for remote fill would be in the doghouse possibly in behind the choke knob... might that be part of the offering?
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:42 pm

That's exactly where I'll be putting my remote fill reservoir in my van,inside the doghouse ,drivers side,in front of radiator where its easily accessed. The 93-99 Ranger 1" bore is the one that matches the 67 dual and is best for drum brakes but will also work like our 67 dual with drum/disc combo. 88-90 Bronco II 15/16" bore is even better Im told for disc/drum combo. Theres also a Wilwood one that fits the bracket too but Dennis can elaborate better on that. Im not up to speed on it.

Post by Guest Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:24 pm

Tim, which remote reservoir will you be using, Wilwood, Pegasus, Lokar, Jegs, or ECI.I looked at the ECI and Lokar but don't want to spend over $200.00 for a reservoir. I am leaning towards a Wilwood and putting it in the dog house too.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:50 pm

Mike, i havent decided on a reservoir yet but for this particuar project I want a nice looking one. For a daily driver a cheap pastic one would do the trick though.

Post by Guest Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:21 pm

the ECI and Lokar ones are billit aluminum and look great but $200.00+ seems high.

Post by Guest Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:35 am

i used the one from pegasus. it was a good deal and it was easy to mount. i put it against the fresh air box under the steering column. Rare part and Great News for Econo owners 8ball_10

Post by Guest Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:44 pm

I ordered the master cylinder kit from Dennis today.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:49 am

EconoUSAparts wrote:That's exactly where I'll be putting my remote fill reservoir in my van,inside the doghouse ,drivers side,in front of radiator where its easily accessed. The 93-99 Ranger 1" bore is the one that matches the 67 dual and is best for drum brakes but will also work like our 67 dual with drum/disc combo. 88-90 Bronco II 15/16" bore is even better Im told for disc/drum combo. Theres also a Wilwood one that fits the bracket too but Dennis can elaborate better on that. Im not up to speed on it.

AWESOME! Great info, and a new reason to go to the boneyard, since I haven't seen any vans in a couple years out there! Thanks! I've seen examples with the Wilwood one... snazzy, precision stuff! Looks like a great alternative! If I can get one off a Ranger though, that'd be the cat's @$$!
    PinballFreak
    PinballFreak

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2010-02-18

Post by PinballFreak Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:20 pm

Steve, I just ordered this kit this week. Jim told me you had a pic on this site with your reservoir so I signed up to this site just to ask you a few questions. For the brake fluid hoses from the reservoir to master cylinder what length did you use and where did you find the rubber grommets that protect the hose?

David in Huntsville AL
    1961 3 window Econoline Pickup

Post by Guest Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:08 pm

I got my kit from Dennis two days ago. I bought 12 feet of hose which is probably to much. I am putting the remote reservoir in the doghouse in front of the radiator.. Be sure to get the 10 pound residual valves if you have drum brakes or 2 pound if you are using disc brakes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 5:28 am