VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Otto
bluesprint260
6 posters

Dome light - What do I Have/Need?

bluesprint260
    bluesprint260

Number of posts : 41
    Registration date : 2018-06-22

Dome light - What do I Have/Need? Empty Dome light - What do I Have/Need?

Post by bluesprint260 Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:39 am

I am starting to put my van back together. Recently have been working through the wiring harness. I have gotten to the dome light and I don't know where it goes. Mine was missing the light... just had the wiring going to the centre of the roof support, but there was no light. I bought the one pictured  but cant see how it fits. I have seen other econolines that have a roof support further forward rather than the funny leg that is welded and bonded to the roof skin. I am not sure if the leg in the pictures is just to support a headliner board. Any insight would be much appreciated. I can't find a picture of the dome light anywhere as no one seems to take an image of the roof of their van. If you have the right dome light let me know what you might want for it. The images show what I have.

Dome light - What do I Have/Need? Img_2022

Dome light - What do I Have/Need? Img_2025

Dome light - What do I Have/Need? Img_2027

Thanks

Joel
    Otto
    Otto

Number of posts : 125
    Registration date : 2020-09-02

Dome light - What do I Have/Need? Empty Re: Dome light - What do I Have/Need?

Post by Otto Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:36 am

It appears that the dome light you purchased attaches to a roof rib. My 64 Travelwagon has a rib across the roof where your van has that "leg". The rib has unused holes that match the attachment points for your light. My van was purchased as a disassembled project so I'm no help as to how it goes together.  It would seem the base of your light would be for a van without the hardboard headliner.

Upon checking my headliner, it looks like the light is just screwed to the headliner board near the second roof rib.
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:24 am

Originally the fwd dome light just screwed into the masonite headliner just forward of that roof support. The hole on the front side of that rib is where the wiring comes through, the wires go through that rib to the DS then over the door and down the inside of the A-pillar to the dash. That sheetmetal U bracket on the roof was to support the center of the headliner with a screw and beauty washer. I have that but mine is a little different, it's attached to the center of the next rib fwd. Yours doesn't have that rib, older van?. I did the same thing as you and got what you have which is a cargo area headlamp bracket and attached to the rib just as the cargo lamp does. That is the same place the light attached to the headliner. Hope that helps. I can see why your confused b/c of the camper top you don't have a cargo light to compare. I can post a pic later at lunch.
    What I did in lieu of the headliner:
    Dome light - What do I Have/Need? POmIXX

The stock cargo light:
    Dome light - What do I Have/Need? NH2olC

I have the original headliner, but I want to remake it. The light was just hanging from the wires when I got the van, so I got one of the cargo light brackets to fix it till I get the interior done. I'll probably keep the bracket even with the headliner though b/c it seems more skookum to have the headliner sandwiched between the light and the bracket. I'm also going to get rid of that U and fix it to the rib there.

docmcg likes this post

bluesprint260
    bluesprint260

Number of posts : 41
    Registration date : 2018-06-22

Post by bluesprint260 Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:09 am

Thanks for the great info. I think that I am going to do what Seth is planning on doing as well. I am going to attach the pot to the end of the leg that reaches forward and then sandwich the head board between the pot and the light. It will look fine when it is done and just hide the rest in the roof cavity. I have only seen a few other stripped vans and the two I saw both had the forward brace. Mine looks factory I just assumed mine came from a US plant as I imported it from Idaho whereas the ones I have seen here came out of a plant in Oakville Ontario. Based on what I have seen here my assumption is incorrect as the images here are likely from US produced vehicles and they also have the forward brace and not the leg. Mine is a 65 but maybe they used up some stuff from earlier vans. Ford was good at that.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:09 pm

The dome light pictured is only used with non headliner vans. If you have a headliner there’s a smaller socket only version that’s used and clips go on the headliner for the cover to attach to.

Dalton
    Dalton

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2020-12-29

Dome light - What do I Have/Need? Empty Help!?

Post by Dalton Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:32 pm

New guy here. Can someone tell me how this damn site works!? This is crazy
    jrdunn96
    jrdunn96

Number of posts : 690
    Registration date : 2016-01-01

Post by jrdunn96 Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:12 pm

Welcome to VV Dalton. I mostly either search items that I'm looking for or just roam around(if I have time). There are a lot of helpful people on here. They tell me that there is a FaceBook(Not my cup of carbolic acid.) version of it too if you are more familiar with that. If you have more specific questions I'm sure someone will try to help.
    Jim

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:06 am