VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

What do I look out for when choosing a body shop?

Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

What do I look out for when choosing a body shop? Empty What do I look out for when choosing a body shop?

Post by Scott Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:16 pm

I am looking for a body show to do some repairs on the front of our van and am unsure what to ask and look for when interviewing them to work on a 52-year vehicle.

Also,  what kind of pricing have you seen for painting the whole outside,   or just a panel?   I know if they fix or replace the front panel that the paint may match in color, but it won't match in look.

Maybe I will just have them gloss coat the rest.

What do you wish you had known when you took your van to the body shop?
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8726
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

What do I look out for when choosing a body shop? Empty Re: What do I look out for when choosing a body shop?

Post by dix Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:13 pm

you might be shocked by this but call your insurance company ,
    ask to speak to one of their writers,(the person who wrights the estament on your car if you had a accident, that person knows who does good work at a reasonable rate with out asking for additional supplements over a minor correction. repainting a entire van could cost from 5 k to 20 or 30 k depending on what you are looking for most shops when painting a fender would blend the paint into the door and hood to help the color match.

Scott likes this post

Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

What do I look out for when choosing a body shop? Empty Re: What do I look out for when choosing a body shop?

Post by Scott Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:06 am

Thank you Dix, that's a great idea.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Number of posts : 939
    Registration date : 2016-05-06

Post by JackeFriend Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:07 am

I found that most modern shops won't want to give a price. They told me there was too much unknown that could be needed once they start an old vehicle. Also beware of saying it's a restoration! That word brings up the costs immediately. I was impressed by a shop I had heard of here in town. They do all types of old classic cars and trucks. I thought great that is the shop for me. Until the guy said 10K for a paint job??? I asked him if he were painting it with real gold? LOL He went on about his material costs etc. and I left with a sour taste for "restoration shops". So find a referral from a person you know up there who has done work with a paint shop. My paint guy has done five of my vehicles, so I know his work and his short comings too. So those are my thoughts on painting and shops.
    Good luck I am sure you will find a good shop.

savage and Scott like this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:26 am