VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

best place to mount trans cooler?

best place to mount trans cooler? Empty best place to mount trans cooler?

Post by Guest June 19th 2009, 22:40

Checked the tranny oil pan bolts today one hour after parked and I couldn't believe how hot my tranny still was Shocked
    Leades me to assume that it doesn't get much cooling from the Radiator and might be the cause for the stinky smell that developes beyond 70 mp/h.

So I thought external tranny cooler, but where to mount it?
    It's pretty crowded in front of the rad with the belly pan and brake lines.
    Maybe under the floor behind driver seat? Angled towards the ground?

Anyone done that?

Cheers What a Face

best place to mount trans cooler? Empty Re: best place to mount trans cooler?

Post by Guest June 20th 2009, 18:32

Get a tubular cooler and mount it like I did.
    best place to mount trans cooler? New347stroker

Post by Guest June 20th 2009, 18:35

sweet !

Thanks Smile

Post by Guest June 20th 2009, 21:48

Sorry I don't know what I was thinking when Iposted the above pic. That is the over flow tube. Here is a pic (not very good) that shows mine. It is powder coated aluminum (RED) and finned to dissipate heat better. You can see it in the lower left corner. These tubes come in different lengths and can be put just about anywhere. Mine was 18" long. Just be sure to get one with fins.best place to mount trans cooler? 100_0364

Post by Guest August 25th 2009, 20:18

I ended up with a small fan cooled (puller) derale unit rated for 15.000 lbs
    from Jegs.
    Thermoswitch comes on at °180 and cools down to °160 but have yet
    to verify that, transcooler gauge is going in tomorrow.
    Mounted behind under the driver seat at an angle.

At least the radiator is relieved of the hot trans fluid and she runs about ° 20 cooler now. Yay!

best place to mount trans cooler? Air_fi10
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool September 13th 2009, 10:52

Been using the Derale dual unit with fan and motor for years. The stock heat exchanger is marginal at best, and adds more cooling load to our already compromised doghouse and cooling issues anyways. A torque converter puts out heat, simple as that, and when you are parked on the freeway in stop and go traffic, its just sitting there making all the heat it can get away with. So, in my thinking, it makes no sense at all to mount a non fan cooled unit, and expect it to cool??????? No offense to anyone intended, but the derale unit is very cheap and you can mount it anywhere you feel like it. I mount mine in the rear of the truck and also, run a canister filter unit. Much easier to change a spin on filter than to drop the pan all the time to clean the filter. I use copper tubing, and double flare the ends, mount the filter unit as far away from the cooling unit as I can, that way, the copper also adding cooling. Another important step, is I wire the unit to be on all the time, and mount the thermostat in the filter unit, again, as far away from the cooler as possible. Wired with a relay, and hot all the time. This way, when I shut the truck off, I can hear the fan unit working, and its cooling ALL THE FLUID alll the way back to the cooler, and shuts itself off at about 180 or so. That way, when I start the truck up, the fluid hasnt been sitting there cooking, and good to go. Over ten years easily, in my tow truck, abused, and the fluid is still bright red. Tryiing to post some pics, but its not working??????
    Oldskool
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool September 13th 2009, 11:56

best place to mount trans cooler? 100_0618
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man September 13th 2009, 12:08

I like the looks of that unit. Can you give us a link to that part???
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool September 13th 2009, 12:27

Still figuring the image hosting thing??? so far all I can get is one at a time, and certainly much harder to locate my pics,, dratzzzz,,, I have em all in Kodaks album and real easy, kind difficult this way??? still trying,,, A friend just saw my setup the other day, and its going on his hotrod today the unit is about $159 at Summit, etc. Reversible fan, so I make mine shoot downwards away from the floorboard,,
    vic
    best place to mount trans cooler? 100_0511
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool September 13th 2009, 12:34

best place to mount trans cooler? 100_0512

Post by Guest September 13th 2009, 13:55

Here's a link to the unit i've bought from Jegs.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/13700/10002/-1
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man September 13th 2009, 14:01

Thanks guys I added to my favorites so I can find it later. Wish I was at that point to need it now.
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott September 21st 2009, 20:57

Hey Old Skool,

What external filter did you use with the transmission?

Was it made for transmissions, or did you adapt a filter made for something else?
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool September 22nd 2009, 07:30

Used a normal remote canister filter mount, believe it uses a PH8 filter. Two inlet directiion options available, horizontal inlet or from the top. Jegs or Summit, or PAW,, not hard to find.
    vic

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is October 18th 2024, 09:23