VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

restoring an original CA blue and yellow license plate.. need correct paint

kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

restoring an original CA blue and yellow license plate..   need correct paint Empty restoring an original CA blue and yellow license plate.. need correct paint

Post by kookykrispy Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:21 pm

Hey gang,

I recently bought a '67 chevy van. Its got the original blue and yellow CA plates on it still, and is currently registered. The problem is most of the blue has faded off and now the plates are more rust than anything! Has anyone successfully found a paint match in a spray can for the blue on these plates? I was thinking Ford blue engine paint might be close, along with school bus yellow or Caterpillar yellow, but since they are legal plates I want to get as close as possible. Maybe someone here has restored their old CA Blue/yellow plates before?

OutofSight
    OutofSight

Number of posts : 1558
    Registration date : 2015-11-19

restoring an original CA blue and yellow license plate..   need correct paint Empty Re: restoring an original CA blue and yellow license plate.. need correct paint

Post by OutofSight Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:07 am

I have Mojo do all of my vintage plates and have been very pleased with the results. Some plates are 15 years old now and still shine like new.

http://www.mojoartworks.com/
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

restoring an original CA blue and yellow license plate..   need correct paint Empty Re: restoring an original CA blue and yellow license plate.. need correct paint

Post by kookykrispy Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:05 am

Thanks for the tip, but going to do it myself. Just need a recommendation for the correct blue paint, or something close
    OutofSight
    OutofSight

Number of posts : 1558
    Registration date : 2015-11-19

Post by OutofSight Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:13 am

Contact Mojo, I’m sure he would be able help you. Very nice guy.
    Kakster
    Kakster

Number of posts : 236
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by Kakster Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:53 pm

I did the plate for my 67 using a yellow color I got a OSH.  It came out just OK but for a 50 year old plate what can you expect.   I show the plate and the can of paint I used for reference.  It seems to me the yellow on the black/yellow CA plates is nearly the same as the yellow on the Blue/yellow plates.  I also show an image from LA Magazine comparing the two plate color schemes.  So Kooky, what brings you back to So Cal?

restoring an original CA blue and yellow license plate..   need correct paint Van_li15
    restoring an original CA blue and yellow license plate..   need correct paint Calisc19
    restoring an original CA blue and yellow license plate..   need correct paint Calisc20

restoring an original CA blue and yellow license plate..   need correct paint Fromla10
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Post by kookykrispy Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:28 am

Nice work!

I did my plates.  I used "old ford blue" engine paint, and then "sunshine yellow" testors model paint that I found at hobby lobby.  I think the blue was a little too dark, and I hand painted the yellow letters and they are not quite perfect, but good enough for who its for.  Wink

I might re-do them later, but they look pretty good for now.

Kakster, did you mask off your letters and then spray?  They look perfect.  Very nice work.

I moved to SoCal because I work at Fort Irwin now.
    Kakster
    Kakster

Number of posts : 236
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by Kakster Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:41 am

After cleaning up the plate I sprayed the black then hand lettered the yellow. Took a few tries but it's OK. Another thing that wears is the month sticker on the back plate. The DMV reluctantly gave me a new one.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:40 am