VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Power steering upgrade - Who has done this???

kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 744
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Power steering upgrade - Who has done this??? Empty Power steering upgrade - Who has done this???

Post by kiwimopar Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:00 pm

Looking for real world solution to the age old problem....what parts work best or fit easiest to convert a typical A100 A108 to have real power steering....not talking about ram-assist like the bigger trucks had.

Proper power steering boxes mounted in the same location....or a good solution for rack & pinion would be interesting.

Thanks.

I have looked at many different steering boxes, and bought a used Dodge Ram box to test for fitting.
    samsvan
    samsvan

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2014-09-04

Power steering upgrade - Who has done this??? Empty Re: Power steering upgrade - Who has done this???

Post by samsvan Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:38 pm

I know it's not what you're asking for but the electric power steering conversion is the best thing I've done to my van.

Power steering upgrade - Who has done this??? Img_0310
    Power steering upgrade - Who has done this??? Img_0911
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Power steering upgrade - Who has done this??? Empty Re: Power steering upgrade - Who has done this???

Post by kiwimopar Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:21 pm

samsvan wrote:I know it's not what you're asking for but the electric power steering conversion is the best thing I've done to my van.

Power steering upgrade - Who has done this??? Img_0310
    Power steering upgrade - Who has done this??? Img_0911

Thank you for the reply.  Have you had any issues with the electric system?  I was put off by it with reading a few reviews elsewhere in relation to other cars.  
    Also, do you have a link to the unit you used?

Thanks......in advance. Cool
    samsvan
    samsvan

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2014-09-04

Post by samsvan Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:25 am

http://www.vcvc.org/showthread.php/23845-electric-power-steering?highlight=electric+power+steering

Check this thread out. It's from VCVC and it was the first thing I saw regarding this conversion. The Saturn steering box requires a separate controller that you have to buy from a guy on ebay. Since then, Panelmanrd from this site has installed a unit from a Nissan Versa and says it uses it's own controller. I don't know what kind of vehicles you have to choose from down in NZ but I think that all of the steering units are made by Koyo, a Japanese company. There are aftermarket kits online if you want to spend the money on brand new parts or you can go the junkyard route and save a ton.
    Hope this helps, Sam
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Post by kiwimopar Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:38 am

samsvan wrote:http://www.vcvc.org/showthread.php/23845-electric-power-steering?highlight=electric+power+steering

Check this thread out. It's from VCVC and it was the first thing I saw regarding this conversion. The Saturn steering box requires a separate controller that you have to buy from a guy on ebay. Since then, Panelmanrd from this site has installed a unit from a Nissan Versa and says it uses it's own controller. I don't know what kind of vehicles you have to choose from down in NZ but I think that all of the steering units are made by Koyo, a Japanese company. There are aftermarket kits online if you want to spend the money on brand new parts or you can go the junkyard route and save a ton.
    Hope this helps, Sam

Thanks Sam...I will look into those units.

Cheers,
    Roger

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 2:24 pm