VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Voltage Regulator location?

Voltage Regulator location? Empty Voltage Regulator location?

Post by Guest Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:52 pm

I have been having loads of trouble with my electrical system: battery not charging, electric cooling fan dimming all the lights, radio flickering and cutting out, etc. Now I think I should replace the voltage regulator but I can't seem to find it, anyone? Also, should I up grade from stock?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Voltage Regulator location? Empty Re: Voltage Regulator location?

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:41 pm

I would say it is a horn relay looking thing somewhere above the gas pedal,,,,,,

Post by Guest Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:55 pm

I think this is it. It's not in the dog house but under the dash. It looks pretty new, is there a way to test these things?

Voltage Regulator location? 366983757

Also, what is this?? Nothing is plugged into it, what is it supposed to do?

Voltage Regulator location? 366983759

What a mess this is!

Voltage Regulator location? 366983762
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:17 pm

on that empty relay,,,,,it was probably used for driving lights at one time...... that other one looks like a transistorized voltage regulator,,,,,,if the 3rd wire is a ground, connecting the 2 end wires together full fields the alternator and it puts out its maximum amperage. But you got other choices you can convert over to a Mopar electronic regulator system or just slap an internal regulator 1970's GM alternator, sort of a 1 wire , on it and have a good system,,,,,

Post by Guest Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:24 pm

donivan65 wrote:connecting the 2 end wires together full fields the alternator and it puts out its maximum amperage

Do you mean just disconnect the two non-ground wires and tape them together?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:34 pm

Thats right,,,,,and thats a real poor set up for a voltage regulator,,,,it has no sensing line,,,,,it looks at what the voltage is at the ignition switch and decides how much amps the alternator has to send out. But connecting those wires just tells the alternator to put out all its got,,,,,,its just an alternator test,,,,,but I guess you can compare voltages from the wire that comes from the key on that regulator to what you got at the battery to see if they are the same. There are a lot of other problem areas, like an old battery, wiring and connectors that cause problems in a charging system,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:40 pm

And watch your ammeter to see if the needle goes to full charge when you connect those 2 wires together and race the engine. Feel the wires on the back of the ammeter, see if they are loose or get hot. It would be good to put a test ammeter on the battery to see how many amps the alternator actually puts out. I guess you can take the alternator to a parts store and let them test it to see what its putting out,,,,,,just keep looking for more evidence,,,,

Post by Guest Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:04 pm

The battery is new and so is the alt. I just jointed the wires and the electric fan no longer causes the dash gage to go up when I turn it on so that is a plus. I'm going to drive it up to the car wash and see if the battery is down when I get back.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:48 pm

You need to test the voltage with a voltmeter,,,,,see what the meter says at idle, at higher RPM,,,,with the fan or lights on,,,,see what the charging system does under these conditions,,,,,,see how many volts you are getting at different conditions. An ammeter is kind of useless,,,,it just tells you its charging,,,,could be not enough, could be too much,,,,,you REALLY need to know if you are getting around 14 volts at all times,,,,,, I would not leave home with out one in my van,,,,,,

Post by Guest Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:24 pm

I'll pick one up in the morning. If I drive it around with the voltage regulator bypassed, is there a chance of doing damage to something (battery?)?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:52 pm

Its only for testing the alternator,,,,you only want around 14 going to the battery and without a voltmeter, you don't know if its 12 or 16 volts going into the battery. And you don't really want that alternator going full blast too long. But get some voltage readings,,,,any kind of voltmeter will do for a test,,,,,Harbor Freight probably has $5 multimeters or get a dash one and put jumper wires on it. But we got posts here on how to take an electronic regulator, and its alternator off a newer Dodge and replace your old system,,,,,another thing, pulley size makes a difference when the alternator decides to start charging,,,,,
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:41 am

upgradeing your voltage reg is ez! i used one for a late 70s pickup, the only thing you need from a junk yard is the "pigtail connector" that plugs into the regulator. buy a new voltage reg. and an alternator that has 2leads instead of your single. (mid-late 70s era will work fine).you will have to add a wire from the voltage reg. to the alternator. doesnt take long to do. and nite time driving is improved, no more headlites pulseing when turnsignals are on at an intersection!~
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:05 am

Benwah is right,,,,you need to get one of these connectors to hook up the electronic voltage regulator and you need a different alternator,,,,,the old one uses different polarity to run the field circuit.

Voltage Regulator location? Dodgereg

Post by Guest Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:08 am

The alt I have now has three wires already. Yellow, green and brown so maybe I already have a newer one? It's a 60 amp I believe.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:25 am

Now that could be your problem,,,,look at the brushes,,,,you should have one should have a wire on it,,,, AND a fiber washer under the screw,,,,the other needs to be grounded, not by using a fake wire on it,,,,,This is what you need 2 plastic brush holders whick is an ungrounded field circuit. The rotors have different resistances in these 2 types of alternator,,,,you need the right one to match the type of regulator you use. They will fit,,,,and maybe work for a while ,,,but its not right. Now if you just got a ground wire to your case and 1 field wire, you are probably OK ---for what you got,,,,you still need a different alternator for the new regulator,,,,

Voltage Regulator location? Dodgealt
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:57 pm

Sounds like your alternator is a newer one than your van originally had. Id find a good shop that rebuilds starters and alternators, and have it rebuilt if it looks like the one donivan pictured above. 6o amp was the standard back mid 70s 80s. The voltage reg-1st top picture of this thread is the voltage reg-doesnt apear to be original either. The original ones had an adjustment screw in the middle with orange lettering. As for the wireing mess, look into either makeing a NEW harness or call painless wireing in the near future. A lot of people over look the wireing and dump big dollars into there pride and joy only to go up in smoke. After seeing a 58 vette have an electrical fire at the local cruse I now carry a small fire extingisher in all my old trucks. And rewire instead of spliceing.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:26 pm

You really need to know what you got,,,,,the rotor is the important part in these 2 types of alternators,,,,,look at these pictures,,,,1 is complete, the other I have the rear housing off so you can see the rotor and its commutator rings. The idea is to take an Ohm reading across the 2 rings,,,,,,an electronic regulator uses a 1.5 ohm rotor,,,,,,the old vans with a mechanical regulator uses a 2.5 Ohm rotor. and its a little hard to reach in the back housing and probe those rings,,,,the bottom one you can see,,,but take a brush out and you can see the side ring. I think this would be a good test to see exactly which alternator you now have. So 60 amps???? why don't you take the van to a parts store that tests for free and let them test what is REALLY going into the battery,,,, you can see what the regulator is actually doing,,,,,then you got a base reading to compare changes that you can make......

Voltage Regulator location? Dodgerotor

Post by Guest Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:42 pm

It is a 60 amp. I just bought it last month. I picked up a regulator today and it was the wrong one. I know because it started to smoke on the way to the lumber yard and I had to pull over and disconnect it! The folks at the parts store have no idea which one to sell me apparently! More reason to follow Benwas' lead and get a fire extinguisher!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:47 pm

I think they sold you the wrong alternator,,,,a newer type alternator would probably burn up an older type regulator,,,

Post by Guest Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:25 pm

Donivan65, I got it working pretty good with your help and I think I am going to go to the junk yard tomorrow and get an alt out of a 70's Dodge for the upgrade. They said $20 for the alt and $15 for the regulator, not too bad hu?

I would have gotten back about this sooner but I had to run down to the cities and see my Dad who was up from southern Iowa for a few days.

Thanks again!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:30 pm

Ok,,,,,I guess this is your next stop,,,,,

Voltage Regulator location? Dodge_17

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 3:09 pm