VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
gfleduc
Scott
OutofSight
66chevy
8 posters

section of direct replacement wiring harness

66chevy
    66chevy

Number of posts : 20
    Registration date : 2018-11-05

section of direct replacement wiring harness Empty section of direct replacement wiring harness

Post by 66chevy Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:11 am

I'm considering offering a section of direct replacement wiring harness for Chevy vans 1964-1970.

This would be for the wires hidden in the driver's side channel under the roof.  It starts with the 6-way (1x6) connector under the headlight switch and runs to the rear, stopping at the connectors just after the wheel well.  It includes the 7th wire, light green for reverse/backup lights.

The color of the wire is the same as the original.  It would be made from 16 AWG instead of the lighter 18 gauge listed on the wiring diagrams found on this website.  The delphi male and female terminals would be crimped and ready.  The wires will either be wrapped in expandable braided sheathing or cloth tape similar to the original.  A new 6-way (2x3) connector would also be included since the original housing is often difficult to disconnect without damaging it.

As long as your original connectors aren't damaged, it should be a fast replacement.  The existing connectors would need to be disconnected and their housings removed by releasing the terminals with a small flat pin or screw driver.  The new wires would then be taped to the end of the old ones and pulled through from the back to the front.  Then, insert the new terminals into the connector housings and reconnect.

The price would be $30 plus shipping.  It'll weigh over a pound, so it'll have to be shipped by priority mail for $6.55.

Please let me know soon if you're interested.  If there's enough demand, I'll put them together.  If you do a little research, you'll quickly discover trying to build just a single one of these with matching color wires and terminals will cost more of your money and time than I'm asking.  It would be 1-2 weeks from the time of this post before I could get the first one mailed.
    OutofSight
    OutofSight

Number of posts : 1558
    Registration date : 2015-11-19

section of direct replacement wiring harness Empty Re: section of direct replacement wiring harness

Post by OutofSight Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:12 am

If you ever decide to do some Dodge sections let me know.
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

section of direct replacement wiring harness Empty Re: section of direct replacement wiring harness

Post by Scott Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:52 am

I'll take one..

PM Sent
    gfleduc
    gfleduc

Number of posts : 368
    Registration date : 2015-09-19

Post by gfleduc Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:27 am

ElectircLimited has truck harnesses
    Maybe something you need

https://www.lectriclimited.com/vehiclesearch/result/index/year/102/make/21/model/56
    66chevy
    66chevy

Post by 66chevy Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:03 am

Hi Gary, that's a great resource but to get what we need for these vans would mean three of their harnesses: (30620, 19945, 38244). If you think I've missed something, please let me know.
    Thanks,
    B
    gfleduc
    gfleduc

Number of posts : 368
    Registration date : 2015-09-19

Post by gfleduc Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:14 am

Hey B,
    I did not research it at all - just noticed that they had some harnesses when I was looking at something else.
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:30 am

I already sent this to B, but its good for anyone doing wire work..

Check out https://www.wiringproducts.com ,they have a great online catalog too. It actually has pictures of the parts for reverence.
    66chevy
    66chevy

Post by 66chevy Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:34 am

I'm going forward with these harnesses.  Once I run out of materials I probably will not offer to make more.  It's more effort than my schedule allows.

I'm going forward with these harnesses.  Once I run out of materials I probably will not offer to make more.  It's more effort than my schedule allows.

Besides including a full 6-way connector like I mentioned above, I'm including connector halves for all of the new terminals.  I decided to use expandable braided PET sleeving for protection against abrasion instead of black cloth tape like our original harnesses.  (PET in black costs almost 5 times more than what I paid for this color.  It'll all be out of site once installed.)

The reason I chose to continue use of these original delphi terminals is because if I were to cut the 6 wires behind my connector, 3 of the wires would have been impossibly short.  Too short to strip and crimp new terminals.  Yours are likely that way too.  Replacing this section of wire fixed two of my electrical problems.  This section cannot be inspected for damage because it's fully wrapped in 50+ year old hardened tape and inaccessible above the door.

The best price I can offer is $32 plus $6.70 for priority mail.  I can also provide basic installation instructions.  I'll post this in the "'G' Parts for Sale" section too.

If you are interested, please let me know right away.  I'll do my best to get it shipped within 36 hours.

section of direct replacement wiring harness Harnes11
    66chevy
    66chevy

Post by 66chevy Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:36 am

You'll likely have to click on the picture to see the entire harness.
    66chevy
    66chevy

Post by 66chevy Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:40 am

Let's try this picture size:
    section of direct replacement wiring harness Harnes12
    No1rascal
    No1rascal

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2013-02-19

Post by No1rascal Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:31 pm

Wow, very nice work & thanks for offering these to members. One question, would it be possible to add another light connection? Would like to have one over doghouse area & another in the back.

Thanks
    Scott
    66chevy
    66chevy

Post by 66chevy Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:45 pm

Hi Scott, my old wiring had two connectors for domes, so that's the way I'm building them. I also added a second dome. It adds a lot of light.
    Thanks
    No1rascal
    No1rascal

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2013-02-19

Post by No1rascal Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:52 pm

Thanks 4 the info. I looked at the harness quickly, didn't notice the 2nd connection.
    dougtappan
    dougtappan

Number of posts : 310
    Registration date : 2014-08-19

Post by dougtappan Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:08 pm

Ill take one How do I pay you
    66chevy
    66chevy

Post by 66chevy Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:26 pm

Please send me a private message with your email address and your basic van info.
    Thanks
    Chevboner
    Chevboner

Number of posts : 209
    Registration date : 2012-09-15

Post by Chevboner Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:39 am

The quality and craftsmanship in this harness is awesome. I cant wait to install, but that wont be for a while or a couple years at my rate. Well worth the money!!

Brannon, I would definitely buy the rest of the harness if you decided to make it. Id also recommend making more of this one and sharing it with the other guys over at VCVC.org

Thank you!
    Mikey.
    66chevy
    66chevy

Post by 66chevy Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:15 pm

Thanks Mikey, I'm glad you approve.
    I've just placed a post for this on the other site.
    VatoVan66
    VatoVan66

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2019-01-08

section of direct replacement wiring harness Empty Need harness

Post by VatoVan66 Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:19 am

Hey boss I need to replace all wiring on my 66 .. You wouldn't happen to have any harnesses ready to sell would you ?
    66chevy
    66chevy

Post by 66chevy Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:56 am

I can postmark one inside of 24 hours of being paid. Please PM your email address to me and I will contact you about payment arrangements (paypal).
    Thanks

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:56 pm