VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

After market fuel gauge

hbsurfdave
    hbsurfdave

Number of posts : 41
    Registration date : 2015-05-01

After market fuel gauge Empty After market fuel gauge

Post by hbsurfdave Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:08 pm

Finished my fuel tank on my 65 and Can't get the old gauge or new after market gauge to work. My old gauge didn't work well anyway so I bought a new bosh fuel gauge and ran a new line. I cant remember where the ground wire goes on the sending unit since there is only one post on the unit. Also the new bosh gauge when hooked up just bounces around the F level while hooked up. I tried grabbing the power from the back of the old gauge (which looks like it has a regulator)? and it bounces and also grabbed another power source to power the gauge and it does the same thing?

Any help
    ?????

Dave
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

After market fuel gauge Empty Re: After market fuel gauge

Post by Seth G Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:26 pm

It sounds like maybe the tank/sender isn't grounded. The sender grounds through the tank chassis, so it has to have good contact to the frame. A lot of ppl weld a stud onto the face of the sending unit and tie that to ground. I drilled through the tanks flange near the edge and tied a ground wire from there to the frame with a wire, terminals and stainless pan head screws with star washers.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:36 pm

the original gauge uses a current limiter to cut the voltage down to 6 volts,,,,,,that aftermarket most likely needs 12 volts to it,,,,the output terminal on that gauge goes to the center terminal on the sending unit,,,,,,which is grounded thru the tank or has a ground wire connected to it,,,,,you need to use a matching sending unit with the aftermarket gauge , not the stock Ford one,,,,,
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:35 pm

donivan65 wrote:the original gauge uses a current limiter to cut the voltage down to 6 volts,,,,,,that aftermarket most likely needs 12 volts to it,,,,the output terminal on that gauge goes to the center terminal on the sending unit,,,,,,which is grounded thru the tank or has a ground wire connected to it,,,,,you need to use a matching sending unit with the aftermarket gauge , not the stock Ford one,,,,,

Just wondering if they sell new 6 volt replacement fuel gauges so that you could still use the original Ford sending unit with it...

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    hbsurfdave
    hbsurfdave

Number of posts : 41
    Registration date : 2015-05-01

Post by hbsurfdave Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:31 pm

Ok, thanks for the responses. So, if I drill a screw thru the tank flange and ground it that should work? I don’t need to attach the ground to the face of the sending unit?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:40 pm

Well,,,,,,,you can just clamp a wire to the tube and run the other end to ground to test,,,,,,or fix,,,,,,a ground problem,,,,,

After market fuel gauge Dscn0511
    Seth G
    Seth G

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:08 pm

Before you add the wire, take a test lead with alligator clips and clip it to the retaining ring on the sender or the edge of the tank and the other end to a clean/good ground and drive it and see if it works. Then drill it and add the wire or do as Don suggests etc. For the other question the tank is well connected to the sender via the retaining ring. In the oem system the tank is grounded via the straps and contact to the weight above it. When I reinstalled my tank I ran into this same problem b/c I put some neoprene foam tape on the straps and where the tanks touches on the weight.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 8:56 am