VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

My 65 project

dougw1
    dougw1

Number of posts : 29
    Registration date : 2017-04-05

My 65 project  Empty My 65 project

Post by dougw1 Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:23 am

So last summer I pulled my old 65 out of the back 40 weeds & put it in my shop. Cleaned it out & took a few things off of it. Did a good look as to what will be involved in rebuilding this thing, it will take a lot of time & effort to get it road worthy again.

My plan is to put a 292/200R4 in it which I have both. While I was in Ca for the winter, I got some tin for it & a bunch of smaller parts, king pins, fuel tank etc & brought them back with me this spring. Cleaned up the front axle & springs, put the king pins in & put the axle back in, also prepped the hubs for M1D's brake conversion. I was going to pull the motor but thought I'd try & get the 230 running since it has sat for 35 years as I want to put it in the truck I'm going to pull the 292 from. The 292 is a good runner but doesn't see much use, it's from a 65 Chev truck I had. It's in a 64 GM 1 ton I built a picker on to get firewood & lift things that are too heavy for one guy. Funny how things get heavier when you get older. lmao

The 3 speed trans was stolen from the van while it sat, so I put a small flex plate on it & an old starter I had laying around in my Chevy parts pile. Hooked up a hose to the fuel pump to suck out of a small jerry can, filed the points, pulled the plugs & gave each cylinder a squirt of gas, poured a bit down the carb, hooked up a battery & cranked it. The starter growled & moaned cranking it but it FIRED.  Smile  Poured more gas in the carb & tried it again, another sputter. The starter turned over slow & made more growling noises so I hooked up another 12 volt battery to give me 24 volts. More gas down the carb & cranked it again. This time it sputtered longer. Did this a few times until gas got pumped up to the carb & low & behold, it started & ran.  cheers It wasn't the best runner for a few minutes but smoothed out. I pulled the 24 volt off & it ran good for about 10 minutes until my jerry can ran low. Put more gas in the can & started it again. It ran for 1/2 an hour until the temp came up to about 160ish, oil pressure was about 40 pounds and all was good. :-) :-)

I was surprised that it ran as good as it did for sitting 35 years forgotten & ignored, I figured it would take a lot more to get it running. Now I have to drop this motor out, pull the 292, put the 230 in the 'picker truck' so I can use it & work on getting the 292/200R4 bolted up. Need to build a plate to adapt the 292 to the cross member & set it aside or I may just get the one from 12bolt this winter. No point putting it in until I get the body work done underneath.

I'd like to have it in Ca when I'm there in the winter, but I don't think the border people would think to much of dragging it down on a trailer with my mig & a ton of tools, they don't think like retired gear-heads do, most don't seen to have much of a sense of ha ha. LMAO Very Happy
    67VanHelsing
    67VanHelsing

Number of posts : 118
    Registration date : 2014-03-04

My 65 project  Empty Re: My 65 project

Post by 67VanHelsing Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:39 am

Glad you wer able to get that thing running. 35yrs is a long time. I'm doing a similar setup but using a 250 and a 2004r. It looks like i might need to extend the drive shaft to properly mate with the 2004r.
    caleboh
    caleboh

Number of posts : 48
    Registration date : 2017-12-25

Post by caleboh Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:55 am

Sounds like a plan. Post also some pictures when you can. Goodluck on your project.
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:37 am

I installed the 200-4r in my 68 GMC, replaced the PowerGlide that came with the van. The 200-4r is the same length as the PowerGlide, and the splines on the yoke were the same, so the drive shaft didn't need any changes. Mated right up to my 250.

One thing that did change was the bell-housing on the 200-4r hits the body of the van. I had to add a block between the engine cradle and the frame to drop the engine down. I will crawl under the van later for the measurement. It's either that or cut / weld the body to make room.
    67VanHelsing
    67VanHelsing

Post by 67VanHelsing Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Scott,
    Thanks for sharing. I had the drive shaft on the tranny and it looked short by about 1" to me. Might not be enough to worry about but if you can post pics that would be great!
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:41 am

Here's some pictures of where the yoke connects to the transmission.

I flipped this first one upside down so you could read the tape measure easier.
    My 65 project  Img_0047

My 65 project  Captur15

These two pictures are a measurement of the aluminum block placed between the frame and engine cradle. Looks to be a 1" drop, by 6.5" long. I didn't think to get the final measurement, I'm sure its 2" or 2.5" wide.

My 65 project  Captur17

My 65 project  Captur16

Let me know if you need more pics, or better ones.

What is the total length of the yoke anyway?
    67VanHelsing
    67VanHelsing

Post by 67VanHelsing Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:51 am

Scott,
    Thanks for sharing. Looks like my yoke sits at about the same spot as yours, my only concern was that it had too much play in the transmission, but maybe my bearing needs to be replaced.

I did the same with the motor crossmember, used 1x1 square tube and longer bolts.
    dougw1
    dougw1

Number of posts : 29
    Registration date : 2017-04-05

My 65 project  Empty Measurements

Post by dougw1 Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:36 pm

I've been reading that when putting in a 292 the engine has to be lowered about 1.5" to compensate for the taller engine so the air can pass into the rad.

I'm curious if anyone has the measurement from the center of the trans output shaft to the bottom of the floor ribs when a 230 motor & 3 speed manual trans are in. There have been references to the lowering of the motor but not the trans. It only makes sense to me that both would have to be lowered equally, if not the u-joint angle would be changed at the rear of the trans. Seeing as I have no trans, I have no reference to place a 200R4.

The pics look good but I'll have to build a new drive shaft as I don't have one.
    Thanks
    Doug
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:24 am

As far as how much to lower the transmission, when I did mine, what I came up with online and what I did was to place a level on top of the carburetor then raised / lowered the rear of the transmission until the bubble was centered.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 28, 2024 10:54 pm