VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
jrinaman
jrdunn96
Jaydub
7 posters

Hi from England - new A100 owner...

Jaydub
    Jaydub

Number of posts : 47
    Registration date : 2017-08-26

Hi from England - new A100 owner... Empty Hi from England - new A100 owner...

Post by Jaydub Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:15 am

Hi ya, Thought I'd say, "Hi" before I start asking for help.  Yesterday I bought a 1964 three window A100 pick up with a three speed column change and a 170 six.  It's joining my little fleet that includes a couple of Harleys, a 1930s style kit car roadster, and my Jaguar powered 1936 Austin 16/6 hot rod.
    The A100 is a bit of a rarity over here so I'll be picking brains if I may.  Our journey home wasn't without incident.  I picked it up from about 150  miles away and in that distance it lost its brakelights, speedo', practically everything that could shake loose did and to top it all, leaving a roundabout to join a busy motorway it lost its gearchange...  I nursed it home and today sorted the gearchange (for now - one of the bushes had disintegrated) and tried to adjust the steering.  Unfortunately the adjuster was already wound right down so a recon' is in order.  Can anyone tell me for definite which steering box I have as I can't identify it from the stuff I've read on here?  I read that it should be a Saginaw 525 or a Ross24J but how do I tell which it is?  Cheers for any advice, much appreciated.  I'll try and load some pic's up as it's a cool looking truck; even if it does steer like a trawler.
    Hi from England - new A100 owner... 00510
    Hi from England - new A100 owner... 01010
    jrdunn96
    jrdunn96

Number of posts : 690
    Registration date : 2016-01-01

Hi from England - new A100 owner... Empty Re: Hi from England - new A100 owner...

Post by jrdunn96 Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:01 am

Hi, welcome to VV! I'm an Econoline Vanup owner myself, so I can't answer your questions. I can, however sympathize with the "steering like a trawler". In Oklahoma we call it "hunting". I always kinda thought it was referring to "hunting which ditch to run off in".

Jim
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Hi from England - new A100 owner... Empty Re: Hi from England - new A100 owner...

Post by jrinaman Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:28 pm

assuming yours is similar to a chevy steering box, their is a top adjustment too. you would have to loosen the side adjustment first, adjust the top to eliminate any play and then re adjust side. Donavan has an excellent write up on it here on this site. be aware that new seals and bearings will not fix worn gears! when I had mine done, I researched, then called and asked what was done in a rebuild. found a shop that actually machined the gears and added shims as needed. most remans are just old gears with new bearings and adjusted properly.
    Jaydub
    Jaydub

Post by Jaydub Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:39 pm

Hi, Thanks for the replies. I'm gradually working my way through this site and learning what I can. There's a lot of info'/knowledge on here, just a matter of finding it and applying it...

Number of posts : 434
    Registration date : 2016-10-18

Post by 69 Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:54 pm

Welcome from Germany as well. Another one over here in europe, I like it Smile. Have a five window myself (still at the body shop...)
    Jaydub
    Jaydub

Post by Jaydub Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:11 pm

69 wrote:Welcome from Germany as well. Another one over here in europe, I like it Smile. Have a five window myself (still at the body shop...)
    Cheers, I've seen your thread, a nice job... I'm hoping not to get so involved with mine!
    gary h
    gary h

Number of posts : 475
    Registration date : 2012-10-19

Post by gary h Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:28 pm

Welcome ! Your in the Right place. Your A-100 looks to be in very good shape. I believe it's not a three window version because it doesn't have "cab corner" windows. I have a '68 pick-up with the single rear window too. Hope you get everything working again. cheers
    Jaydub
    Jaydub

Post by Jaydub Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:58 am

Cheers, sorry don't know why I posted that - it's obviously a single window, not a three window. Spent so long looking at pic's and reading spec's must have had a bit of brain fade... I was actually joking with my missus that had it had the extra windows I would have told my mates I'd bought a three window - it's almost totally accepted over here that a three window is a '32 Ford (way out of my, or most folks budget).
    It is in good shape with just a little rot under the battery behind the driver's seat and a bit thin in places. Mechanically it's a bit tired, mainly wants a good spanner twirling session and various perished bushes and the like replaced. I expect the problem will be finding them rather than fitting them...

Number of posts : 434
    Registration date : 2016-10-18

Post by 69 Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:20 am

Well, I always like to compare with the five/three window hot rods. Three window is with two side and one rear window, five window has two additional windows on each side.

Hence, you'd have a three window, I have a five window.

BTW - I always love to explain the truck as a mid-engine-rear-drive two door (coupe). Laughing
    OutofSight
    OutofSight

Number of posts : 1558
    Registration date : 2015-11-19

Post by OutofSight Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:02 am

Nice three window! Welcome aboard!!
    spooks
    spooks

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2016-09-22

Post by spooks Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:46 am

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 28, 2024 9:18 pm