VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
ditdater
Seth G
Russell
JackeFriend
Scott
9 posters

Picking Side Mirrors

Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Picking Side Mirrors Empty Picking Side Mirrors

Post by Scott Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:06 am

I want to replace the large cargo van side mirrors on my van with ones that are smaller and cleaner looking, but each time I back-up or change lanes I don't want to hope I don't hit anything because I have a huge blind-spot.

What mirrors did you use, and are you happy with how much you can see?

JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Number of posts : 940
    Registration date : 2016-05-06

Picking Side Mirrors Empty Re: Picking Side Mirrors

Post by JackeFriend Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:40 am

Picking Side Mirrors New_mi10

I had my goose neck mirrors brackets chromed. But I bought a convex mirror head from Hagan Auto. Called Fatties, they are expensive but they give a claimed 600% more viability. I put them on and even though these are 4" they give a good view... take a look!
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:42 am

JackeFriend wrote:Picking Side Mirrors New_mi10

I had my goose neck mirrors brackets chromed. But I bought a convex mirror head from Hagan Auto. Called Fatties, they are expensive but they give a claimed 600% more viability. I put them on and even though these are 4" they give a good view... take a look!
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:14 pm

The goose neck mirrors are nice looking.

Here's what I am starting with,

Picking Side Mirrors Img_5510
    Russell
    Russell

Number of posts : 698
    Registration date : 2015-12-08

Post by Russell Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:25 pm

Picking Side Mirrors Heater10
    I put these on the '65 I had, the drivers side was flat and the passenger side was convex.
    I could see fine with them. (it also helps to have a window van)
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:34 pm

You'll never find anything that will give you the confidence of the junior west coast + the 5" spot mirror you already have. If you could find them in stainless maybe they wouldn't seem so bad?
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:59 am

Seth G wrote:You'll never find anything that will give you the confidence of the junior west coast + the 5" spot mirror you already have. If you could find them in stainless maybe they wouldn't seem so bad?
    Yes, I believe that the bigger mirrors give you the best viability. More surface to catch those
    wild drivers whizzing around you. I have no windows to help when changing lanes... so I am very careful... Laughing
    But my mirrors are a original classic style and with the convex mirror it is much much better.

Good luck, I wish you the best in making a choice for your van.
    ditdater
    ditdater

Number of posts : 590
    Registration date : 2010-11-06

Picking Side Mirrors Empty 72 chevy c 10 sport mirrors

Post by ditdater Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:19 pm

I am just starting to drive mine w these , its has a pretty good size head on it , and I never liked a small mirror , they feel pretty good
    Seth G
    Seth G

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:27 pm

I think you made a good choice Jacke. If you have small mirrors, convex ones are the way to go.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:48 am

Seth G wrote:I think you made a good choice Jacke. If you have small mirrors, convex ones are the way to go.
    I could barely see out of the passenger side mirror previously without leaning so far over it looked like I was laying down on the doghouse. I am a little short... 4' 11-3/4"... yes 3/4" does matter! LOL Embarassed
    But these new mirrors although a horrible price... are very nice and give a clean view of everything. So, 4" is good if they are convex. The Hagan sight is more for hot rod guys who spend lots of money. I had to save for several months before I could afford the mirrors.
    I work hard to get what I want, and I tend to get it! bounce queen
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:03 pm

Anyone know where to find these side mirrors? I think even someone as blind as me could manage not to hit anyone with these.
    Picking Side Mirrors Van_mi10

I really like the second gen. Ford mirrors too, but I think it might be a mortal sin to put Ford mirrors on a GMC. I wouldn't want to upset the GMC Gods.
    uncle ron
    uncle ron

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2012-05-31

Picking Side Mirrors Empty mirrors

Post by uncle ron Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:03 pm

Picking Side Mirrors Cimg0711

67 - 72 Chevy truck mirrors

Last edited by uncle ron on Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pix size)
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:33 am

What I believe we are seeing on that red van is mid-sixties truck mirror arms that have been twisted/reconfigured to fit the van. The mounting plate is the original configuration in it's stock location......If these stems were available as shown, I'd order a set today..... I've actually considered manufacturing some cool tall stems like this to fit the chevy mount holes, but was unsure if demand and pricing would reward me for my efforts....

Here's a link to LMC's truck stems in stainless for $18.95 each
    http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cbe/865w/0073.jpg
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:00 am

AzDon, I wee what you mean about the angle of the bracket on the red van, I didn't notice it before you mentioned it. But Uncle Ron's van, green one, looks to have the stock bracket angles. Although they won't use the same mounting holes I am taking a shot with them and just ordered the LH and RH side mirrors.

Here's a good shot of the bracket angle.

Picking Side Mirrors Captur11

And the gaskets too..
    Picking Side Mirrors Captur12
    uncle ron
    uncle ron

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2012-05-31

Post by uncle ron Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:50 pm

Scott wrote:AzDon, I wee what you mean about the angle of the bracket on the red van, I didn't notice it before you mentioned it. But Uncle Ron's van, green one, looks to have the stock bracket angles. Although they won't use the same mounting holes I am taking a shot with them and just ordered the LH and RH side mirrors.

And the gaskets too..
    Picking Side Mirrors T60_0111
                                                                                                                                                                            I used the backing plates and still get some vibration on the freeway  uncle ron
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:05 pm

I have the small round mirrors on my 1st gen, you cant see anything with them. I put a larger square mirror onto that single arm and like the rear view mirror they shake and i cant see anything unless I put my finger on it to steady it.

I had the junior west coast mirrors. I am 6 foot tall so like the center mounted rear vview mirror they block alot of my view when I am at a stop light or a four way stop. Worse they block my view of the cross walk so I cannot see if a pedestrian is entering the cross walk.

I changed to the elephant ears mirrors because I can see over them easily and with three mounting spots on a tripod they dont shake like the other mirrors.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:56 am

uncle ron wrote:
    Scott wrote:AzDon, I wee what you mean about the angle of the bracket on the red van, I didn't notice it before you mentioned it. But Uncle Ron's van, green one, looks to have the stock bracket angles. Although they won't use the same mounting holes I am taking a shot with them and just ordered the LH and RH side mirrors.

And the gaskets too..
    Picking Side Mirrors T60_0111
                                                                                                                                                                            I used the backing plates and still get some vibration on the freeway  uncle ron

I bought those mirror arms... I liked the size of the square mirrors. But the angle was off for the van. I did not want to change the location of the plate. So I have a nice set in Chrome if anybody wants them.
    That picture of the red van with those square mirrors is what made me buy the truck mirrors. LOL Never could find the right angle for my placement on doors. I bought the 4" Convex mirror heads and chromed my goose neck brackets, mirrors from (Hagan) which do not vibrate at all... not even a quiver. You get what you pay for in life. And it ain't cheap, EVER!
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:06 pm

west coast jr. mirrors look great, and its hard to beat for visibility. Your other factory option is the small swan neck mirrors, which are difficult to see out of. I run the swan necks on my '65 panel Hella Sunshine, but have to be VERY careful when making passenger side lane changes.

The only non-factory options look weird and awkward to me because they are not correct. If you think it looks good, I guess its your van so do what you want?

Post by Guest Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:15 pm

I've been thinking about a rear view camera hooked to a switch to see behind at any time in my Apup. Handy for lane changes and checking on tailgaters. Might be a bit distracting, but it beats a sideswipe
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:02 pm

The 60-66 truck bases (bottom of page) are the same as our vans, but the arm angle is wrong.....The 67 and later truck pedestal mirrors shown on the left are okay, but notice how the pedestal is tilted upwards in both those and the "corvette style" mirrors.... Those pedestals would be much more horizontal on our vans, which is okay if you are going to run with the head horizontal.......I really like the looks of the setup on that red van, so just might gamble on a pair of those arms in stainless and attempt to reconfigure them....
    OR.....
    Just Fab my own bases and arms from scratch and just have them powdercoated...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 11:20 pm