VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
G-Man
Twinpilot001
Lazarusvan
7 posters

SIDE VIEW MIRRORS POSITION QUESTION

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

SIDE VIEW MIRRORS POSITION QUESTION Empty SIDE VIEW MIRRORS POSITION QUESTION

Post by Lazarusvan Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:59 am

Not sure if this has been discussed as a topic, but curious what those who've "seen" it all think about mirrors. I like a clean look and West Coast mirrors aren't my favorite choice.

Assuming that those have the best visibility and functionality (if not, let me know), does anyone have a preference or opinion on what is better when installing smaller mirrors in terms of location? I've seen them up high near the roof sill and in standard position near the base of the window.

Does either position have an advantage in terms of seeing what's behind and beside?

Anyone put a back up camera in their rig?
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

SIDE VIEW MIRRORS POSITION QUESTION Empty Re: SIDE VIEW MIRRORS POSITION QUESTION

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:39 am

Hi there =I have a set of factory origional round small mirrors that i will be installing next year after paint done - I could copy the instruction sheet & shows factory layout for u is u wish?? let me know-Happy Vannin
    [i]
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

SIDE VIEW MIRRORS POSITION QUESTION Empty Re: SIDE VIEW MIRRORS POSITION QUESTION

Post by G-Man Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:29 am

The factory small mirrors are hard to find, very cool looking but I bet seeing with them is tough. 2nd gen econoline mirrors would look good on any early. Bigger mirror head to see better too
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:43 am

these are the same mirrors GM used on 1966 Sportvan Deluxe's the same as 50's caddy's. Not cheap, but look great
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1950-1951-1952-53-54-1955-Cadillac-Pasenger-Side-Mirror-/250898770158?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a6abb68ee
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:30 pm

G-Man wrote:these are the same mirrors GM used on 1966 Sportvan Deluxe's the same as 50's caddy's. Not cheap, but look great
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1950-1951-1952-53-54-1955-Cadillac-Pasenger-Side-Mirror-/250898770158?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a6abb68ee

That's a lot of change for an inexpensive piece of glass and some chrome plated metal. I'd rather have old stock or originals for that price...
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:43 pm

I really like those mirrors on Malles new score if I was going to stray from stock. I get along fine with the West Coasties, but I drive a dump truck, only thing I may add is a spot mirror on the right side. that or keep a seat cover with ya that can watch traffic for you...
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:10 pm

I have those old stock small mirrors. They look great but you really can't see anything through them. With the window van I just shoulder check each way cuz the mirrors realy are that useles.

SIDE VIEW MIRRORS POSITION QUESTION Dscn0114

M1D
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:25 pm

m1dadio wrote:I have those old stock small mirrors. They look great but you really can't see anything through them. With the window van I just shoulder check each way cuz the mirrors realy are that useles.

SIDE VIEW MIRRORS POSITION QUESTION Dscn0114

M1D

Digz, I hear you. I just feel they detract from the sleek, somewhat curvy lines of the First Gen.

M1D,You posted a photo of these a while back when I inquired about the 2nd Gen Handivan I looked at that had Cali mirrors. Good info. I figured they were not very good. That is the only downside of not having passenger side windows. I guess the key is just cruising and staying in the right lane. I wondered if a rear camera would help. They sell super cheapo ones at Auto parts stores.

I always hated driving rental vans because I couldn't see a darn thing. Budget trucks as well. Just closed my eyes, put on my turn signal, and eased on over to the right. I figured they would honk me back over if I cut them off...Those are sweet mirrors, nonetheless.

I always hate having to decide coolness vs. functionality. I always want coolness first Twisted Evil
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:12 pm

If you think 7 months is a long time to find a van, you won't like how long it takes you to find those mirrors M1D has. They are also a $$$ item
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:31 pm

I hate to say .. a Panel van with solid Back Doors (No Windows) ... Don't Like those small Mirrors !!!! You Just cant see any thing out of them !!!!!

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:51 pm

Sure they do looks sweet, but sure that's why they are hard to find because everyone pull them off to get ones that were bigger. If I had to do it again I would get 2nd gen ford mirrors
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:22 pm

I use about 1 or 2 square inches these for backing up. The rest is lick 'em stick 'em convex mirrors for checking my blind spots. Neither view is decent, but much better than nothing, especially with a short stealthy hybrid just sitting there on your passenger side rear quarter.

One of the mirrors fell out on the way home late one night. Cheap pieces of...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/chrome-plated-top-flight-mirrors-5/p2008322.jcwx?filterid=c3213j1

These also look cool:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/classic-style-door-top-mount-round-mirrors/p2008325.jcwx?filterid=j1
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:52 pm

G-Man wrote:Sure they do looks sweet, but sure that's why they are hard to find because everyone pull them off to get ones that were bigger. If I had to do it again I would get 2nd gen ford mirrors

These? Definitely have more surface area. Still not streamlined, but not as much "going on" as the WC mirrors.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-FORD-ECONOLINE-VAN-LEFT-MIRROR-61-62-63-64-65-66-67-68-69-70-71-72-73-74-/290609467792?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a9ac9190
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:35 am

My little mirors are worse then you might think. Unlike other flat glass small mirrors I've seen, mine have curved glass. The one where objects look further away!!!! When I look into my driver side mirror in my driveway with my other car parked right behind the van; the car litterally looks about 1/4" high by 1/4" wide in a 5" dia mirror. You have to stare at the mirror to focus on a car 4 feet off the back bumper. When I look for the same in the passenger side mirror I can't hardly see it at all!! When I'm driving in the left lane and a car is a full 2 car lenghts behind me in the right lane I truely can not see it in the mirror because its so small.
    Like I said, useless. I now understand why I have seen larger square mirrors mounted onto those "swan mounts"

I am going to get some flat glass replacements

M1D
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:10 am

Lazarusman yes those are the ones and they will look great on your 64. They are not as big as your west coasts with those bars, and they will look more stremlined than you think
    SIDE VIEW MIRRORS POSITION QUESTION 1969_f10

In the end it's your choice, just know you'll be using it for your business driving around and don't want you to get screamed by not seeing where your going.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:34 am

G-Man, those don't look bad. Depending on what we do in terms of the paint, those West Coasters would be coming off. I would like to see what's behind me without all those metal arms. Curious what the later 1st Gens used since I read that the mirrors were changed a bit. Assume they have less "armiture."

Main issue is if I don't change the paint, I'll have holes from removing the current mirror. Just have to see.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:58 am

I would give them a try first, I have them on my 69 and they are a good seeing mirror.

Post by Guest Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:20 pm

I have back up cameras for both of my Econos.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 6:58 am