VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

V8 kick down linkage

OutofSight
    OutofSight

Number of posts : 1558
    Registration date : 2015-11-19

V8 kick down linkage Empty V8 kick down linkage

Post by OutofSight Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:17 pm

eBay has three separate listings going right now, all claiming to be correct v8 kick down linkage, however, all three appear to be completely different. Can someone point out the correct linkage?

Number of posts : 433
    Registration date : 2016-10-18

V8 kick down linkage Empty Re: V8 kick down linkage

Post by 69 Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:47 am

I find only one. Do you mean this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Mopar-A100-Transmission-Downshift-Kick-Down-Linkage-Rod-Assembly-/311887219343?hash=item489ded4a8f:g:GwgAAOSw3ZRY~9rT&vxp=mtr

To me, that's not a trans kick-down lever, but (part of) the throttle linkage for the non-power steering 318.

Trans kickdown linkage is completely different. On my PS-318, even the throttle linkage is different to this one.

Pls post the links to the linkages you found, then we can have a look.
    OutofSight
    OutofSight

Post by OutofSight Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:57 am

OutofSight
    OutofSight

Post by OutofSight Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:58 am

OutofSight
    OutofSight

Post by OutofSight Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:58 am

There are the other two listings.
    busman78
    busman78

Number of posts : 483
    Registration date : 2012-07-11

Post by busman78 Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:22 am

The first two look like accelerator linkage, the last is a transmission kick down, at the price he wants I would get a Lokar kick down and save some money, eliminate any issues with wear on the old original.

And what are the two large washers for? Is that flat plate with the slot correct?

Post by 69 Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:53 am

The last one is the trans kick down lever. The washers are needed to keep the oval hole in place on the throttle link at the carb. They are put on each side of the oval long hole.
    busman78
    busman78

Number of posts : 483
    Registration date : 2012-07-11

Post by busman78 Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:51 am

Okay, neither my old Super Bee or both Barracudas had oval's and large washers like that, must be a van thing. Thought it might be a fish size checker, if the fish could slip though the oval it got thrown back, if it did not it got fried up.

Post by 69 Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:01 am

You are right, my Charger has a normal "long hole", as you might know from your Bee and Barracuda.

But my A100 (318/AT/PS) has the exact same oval long hole. I still did not get it, that they took something different here than in normal A/B-bodys. Even the parts book pages identify the A100 trans lever with the oval.
    BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Number of posts : 246
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

V8 kick down linkage Empty kick down linkage

Post by BADBADGER Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:46 pm

Just my 2 cents worth, I fought that kicdown linkage problem for a ling time. Finally a local transmission guy said to dump it and go with Lokar. So i orderd it, imstalled it amd the trans guy adjusted it. Works great, changed the throttle linkage also.
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:31 pm

the one with the large oval hole is correct as it was on all the vans I owned previous to the truck I have now. it came with a one piece rod that hit the back of the dog house so I knew it was wrong. I ended up getting a complete setup off a car. luckily it was a 727 trans in the car. the lever at the trans is a different length between 904 and 727 and can cause adjustment issues. geometry to this day still confuses me so I avoid it as much as I can. the linkage setup I use now has several pivot points and the longest piece at the back of the engine basically goes up and down not back and forth like the correct part. took me a long time in mock up with using a stock 360 holley 2bbl carb and other pieces from several vehicles but I finally did get it to work correctly. most of my original problems were caused by me using newer parts 70's 80's in an older trans 60's. valve bodies and governors all look exactly alike but there are subtle differences. I know..............

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 am