VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Cruise Control

southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Cruise Control Empty Cruise Control

Post by southern man Fri May 22, 2009 6:51 pm

Anybody fit Cruise to a Ford 200? Kits? Prices?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Cruise Control Empty Re: Cruise Control

Post by donivan65 Sun May 24, 2009 8:02 am

I have put those aftermarket kits on vehicles,,,,,you install 2 magnets on the driveshaft with a sensor,,,,,,mount a vacuum diaphram on the frame,,,,,,hook up the cable to pull on your carb linkage, then mount the control unit on your dash or on your turn signal lever,,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Sun May 24, 2009 8:22 am

donivan65 wrote:I have put those aftermarket kits on vehicles,,,,,you install 2 magnets on the driveshaft with a sensor,,,,,,mount a vacuum diaphram on the frame,,,,,,hook up the cable to pull on your carb linkage, then mount the control unit on your dash or on your turn signal lever,,,,,,,,

Your showin your age donivan! I dont think they make that style anymore. You can get a universal kit and it should work without an issue. The only problem I see is with the speed sensor adapting to the old girl. The newer stuff adds a speed sensor to the speedo cable behind the cluster, since our vans dont have one. Then there's the issue of space in the doghouse for the servo unit and if your a manual shift you have to put a micro switch on the clutch lever to be safe. So that you dont blow the motor if you hit the clutch with the cruise on. I think with the bellypan off and some planning there is plenty of room to make it happen though. I think the company that has the best kits are SCS. I used to install them when I have my shop years ago........here's a link to one. Cruise
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun May 24, 2009 9:21 am

Who would put one in a doghouse with all that heat,,,,,,I have one right here,,,,on my motorhome thats only a few years old,,,,,,,it is mounted under my floor and has a 3 foot cable that runs up to the carb to control the speed,,,,,,and it don't seem too hard of a project to hang an L bracket from the floor with the sensor on it to count how fast the driveshaft is turning,,,,,,,And this is my modern system,,,,,for 30 years I had installed a choke cable under my seat, in the wheelwell of my 65 Chevy Van and hooked it to my carb linkage with a keychain,,,,,THAT was my cruise control for driving across the California and Arizona Deserts and ESPECIALLY Nebraska, Wyoming and Montana on my earlier road trips,,,,,I just drive 55,,,,pull the knob to hold the carb there and kick back for a few hours,,,,,I didn't need no stinkin clutch switch. But the guy wants OPINIONS so he can get an idea on what he wants to do,,,,,,,and if he asks me on how to do it then I give him ADVICE on how to do it,,,,,we just provide him with choices so that he can make up his own mine,,,,,,

Cruise Control Sdc11410[img][/img]

Cruise Control Sdc11411

Post by Guest Sun May 24, 2009 6:30 pm

Sorry to have ruffled your feathers donivan, just given my .02 and tryin to make it safe in the process. ????
    southern man
    southern man

Post by southern man Sun May 24, 2009 7:42 pm

Thanks guys! I actually like Donivan's old school idea!

30+ years ago I drove my 66 A100 from Mass to Ca and back and I used a broken piece of cement block propped up against the gas pedal. Didn't work great, wasn't safe, but helped out on those long hours across the plains. Your cable idea would have been high tech in contrast!
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Sun May 24, 2009 8:06 pm

Donivans kit is available at JC Whitney! I put one on my Jeep Cherokee a few years back, works great!

Later,
    Rip
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun May 24, 2009 8:23 pm

You asked about kits and I told you about a basic one,,,,,it's in this 78 G30 motorhome I am driving right now,,,,,it works,,,,,easy to put in,,,,,not complicated,,,,,touch the brake pedal and it shuts off,,,,,pretty safe in my book,,,,,,of course there are more elaborate and expensive systems if thats the way you want to go,,,,,,,,,and why do you think you need a cruise control????
    Going somewhere???? Feet hurt???
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon May 25, 2009 9:07 am

mountainkowboy wrote:Sorry to have ruffled your feathers donivan, just given my .02 and tryin to make it safe in the process. ????

,,,,,,and whats this all about???? I sent you pictures and information about that white van you were thinking of buying in my area,,,,,and then you come all the way down to the San Diego area at least 3 times, don't say a word to anyone that you are coming,,,,,,,,,go past a bunch of vanners houses, don't stop to say hello or talk about vans, just ignore them all,,,,,now thats not what vannin is all about,,,,,,you just earned yourself a taste of Vanner Justice, Chuckie,,,,,,
    ViewMaster
    ViewMaster

Number of posts : 117
    Registration date : 2008-05-26

Post by ViewMaster Mon May 25, 2009 10:45 am

I've installed the Audiovox unit Cruise Control I_810344_CL_3 in a Chevy years ago and it was fairly easy.
    Cruise Control C69c2
    Only problem I remember was top speed was 57 mph with it. If I tried to make it accelerate any faster it would just drop out.
    I guessed it was because my rear end was geared too low???
    It was on a 3 speed manual and I think it will drop out if you hit the clutch because of the tach input.

Post by Guest Mon May 25, 2009 5:43 pm

donivan65 wrote:[
    ,,,,,,and whats this all about???? I sent you pictures and information about that white van you were thinking of buying in my area,,,,,and then you come all the way down to the San Diego area at least 3 times, don't say a word to anyone that you are coming,,,,,,,,,go past a bunch of vanners houses, don't stop to say hello or talk about vans, just ignore them all,,,,,now thats not what vannin is all about,,,,,,you just earned yourself a taste of Vanner Justice, Chuckie,,,,,,

Sorry, didnt mean to snub anyone. Shocked I was on a pretty tight schedule BOTH times I went down. jocolor The first time was a sneek away during an RV trip without the wife knowing. The second time was with a borrowed trailer and a put off mother-in-law to get it home. I'm all into BS'n with the guys and will be down that way in the future and will make it a point to get by some vannin buds houses with Ester (which should be soon). No offense was ment to anyone in the van scene.

(was that enough groveling?) lol!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon May 25, 2009 6:21 pm

,,,,and I think you also brought a car down or something,,,,real vanners stick together,,,,if you were on I-15 by Escondido on a Friday,,,,,they have Cruising Grand a block over,,,,they would of loved seeing an Early on a trailer or any Early,,,,cruising the Boulevard,,,,and some people might of just wanted to wave good bye to the van,,,,,and we are always ready to roll for a van cause. I am not saying everyone would be there but posting that you would be there on a certain day around a certain time, would give them a chance to stop by if they wanted,,,,,there is nothing like seeing a couple of Earlys together,,,,,,but anyways,,,,we are good now,,,,,

Post by Guest Mon May 25, 2009 7:35 pm

donivan65 wrote:,,,,and I think you also brought a car down or something,,,,real vanners stick together,,,,if you were on I-15 by Escondido on a Friday,,,,,they have Cruising Grand a block over,,,,they would of loved seeing an Early on a trailer or any Early,,,,cruising the Boulevard,,,,and some people might of just wanted to wave good bye to the van,,,,,and we are always ready to roll for a van cause. I am not saying everyone would be there but posting that you would be there on a certain day around a certain time, would give them a chance to stop by if they wanted,,,,,there is nothing like seeing a couple of Earlys together,,,,,,but anyways,,,,we are good now,,,,,

Once again you are correct on the 3 times bounce I did drop off a 23 T-Bucket in Escondido..............I stand corrected. I did however get alot of smiles and thumbs from old-timers such as ourselfs while trailering the parts donor home!
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Tue May 26, 2009 10:49 am

donivan65 wrote:,,,,,,and whats this all about???? I sent you pictures and information about that white van you were thinking of buying in my area,,,,,and then you come all the way down to the San Diego area at least 3 times, don't say a word to anyone that you are coming,,,,,,,,,go past a bunch of vanners houses, don't stop to say hello or talk about vans, just ignore them all,,,,,now thats not what vannin is all about,,,,,,you just earned yourself a taste of Vanner Justice, Chuckie,,,,,,

You’re right about this, and I’m guilty of it too. I came down that day to buy the hoses you turned me on to, and I didn’t take time to shoot you an email. I rushed back to get some other stuff done. In retrospect I would much rather have met you in person, had lunch or something with you. I appreciate all your insight, help with my van, passing on what vanning is all about, and all that you bring to this site. I sincerely apologize for being rude by not letting you know I was going to be in the area. Although I don’t come out there often, I do come out now and then, and am going to make it a point to contact you when I do.

Scott
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue May 26, 2009 5:59 pm

Too bad for you Scott,,,,,you would find it easier to not like me if you met me,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue May 26, 2009 6:01 pm

Southern Man, have you gotten anything good out of this mess?????

Post by Guest Tue May 26, 2009 6:15 pm

donivan65 wrote:Too bad for you Scott,,,,,you would find it easier to not like me if you met me,,,,,
    lol! lol! lol!
    southern man
    southern man

Post by southern man Tue May 26, 2009 6:16 pm

"Southern Man, have you gotten anything good out of this mess?????"

LOL! Yeah, I'll make sure I look you up next time I'm in California! (Last time there was 1977, so I guess I'm safe.)
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue May 26, 2009 6:38 pm

I'm in St Louis RIGHT NOW,,,,,I meant about cruise controls,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed May 27, 2009 9:10 am

Southern Man,,,,,,,,,,what are the chances of you running across my buddy SouthernVan in his black and white Chevy van in Hilton Head????
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Wed May 27, 2009 9:31 am

donivan65 wrote:Too bad for you Scott,,,,,you would find it easier to not like me if you met me,,,,,

Oh, I usually don't have any trouble not liking people.. Online or Not!

But I can dig what your putting out there, and I'd probably have a couple thousand questions when looking at your van.

I think there's more of a chance that I would get on your nerves pretty quick.
    southern man
    southern man

Post by southern man Wed May 27, 2009 7:45 pm

"Southern Man,,,,,,,,,,what are the chances of you running across my buddy SouthernVan in his black and white Chevy van in Hilton Head????"

Hilton Head is a great place, but about 2 1/2 hours from here, so I don't go there very often (been twice in the last 20 years). But I'll keep him in mind if I go that way.

PS - The cruise kit looks to be the ticket.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:39 am