VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Dog house insulation - "MAYBE" the best possible. (??)

Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2015-05-08

Dog house insulation - "MAYBE" the best possible. (??) Empty Dog house insulation - "MAYBE" the best possible. (??)

Post by Skulptorchaz Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:18 pm

A buddy of mine dropped by for me to fab up a project for him and we were talking about a job he just did. He's a chimney sweep.
    He said he put in a new stainless liner in a chimney and if he put the insulation around it, it was guaranteed forever. The insulation is ceramic wool with a rather heavy aluminum foil backing, about 1/2'' thick.
    I use a ceramic wool insulation in my forge. It's 1 1/2'' thick. It easily gets up to 2500*, the inside glows yellow and I can put my finger on the outside of the wool and it does not burn me. Incredible stuff!! That stuff is called KAOWool. I'm not sure of the name of the chimney stuff but, it IS ceramic wool as well.
    I have some high heat glue coming in Tuesday and I'm going to glue the wool to the inside of the dog house in 5'' strips. I will them tape both edges with the tape he gave me and then do another 5'' strip the same way, right next to it. It will require a lot of tape, all said and done but, I want to make sure it stays put withot mechanical fasteners. The tape is supposed to be bad ass as well.
    Has anyone else tried this stuff?? I will be getting the name in case anyone wants it. I'll also report back as to how it worked. The lid will be first and that should be a good indicator.
    Thought I'd share!
    Chaz
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14777
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Dog house insulation - "MAYBE" the best possible. (??) Empty Re: Dog house insulation - "MAYBE" the best possible. (??)

Post by vanny Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:42 am

Thanks for posting, it'll be interesting to see if it stays put.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Dog house insulation - "MAYBE" the best possible. (??) Empty Re: Dog house insulation - "MAYBE" the best possible. (??)

Post by Skulptorchaz Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:28 am

Me too, Vanny. Rolling Eyes He says the glue on the tape is bad ass and only gets better with heat. (OK, I'll bite. Somebody has to be the guinea pig.) If it will stay up in the lid, this will be awesome. If not, I guess there is always on the outside of the doghouse.
    Time will tell.
    apedave
    apedave

Number of posts : 31
    Registration date : 2017-05-09

Post by apedave Fri May 26, 2017 10:57 pm

How did it work out?
    gfleduc
    gfleduc

Number of posts : 371
    Registration date : 2015-09-19

Dog house insulation - "MAYBE" the best possible. (??) Empty Dog House insulation

Post by gfleduc Fri May 26, 2017 11:40 pm

I would like to see a picture....
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Sat May 27, 2017 11:37 am

Working good so far!!! Tape is holding and heat is reduced. I'm just not sure how to tell if it is better or worse than other methods.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:41 am