VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Is this the stock heater??

Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2015-05-08

Is this the stock heater?? Empty Is this the stock heater??

Post by Skulptorchaz Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:55 pm

I decided to change heater hoses while I was doing other things and when I pulled it down, it looks like someone did some modifying.

Here is the heater:
    Is this the stock heater?? Dsc00710

Here are the connectors from the hoses to the heater:
    Is this the stock heater?? Dsc00711

Here is what the front wall looks like. There is a hole in upper right that is not stock, or at least has been modified. And the bottom right corner of the rectangle opening has been hacked and folded down.
    Is this the stock heater?? Dsc00712

Also, someone drilled under the dash for a single toggle switch to turn it on/off with some sort of round resister, or something, between the switch and the heater. Would that be to cut it to 6 volts?
    I'd actually like to put some sort of rheostat on it to be able to vary the speed of the fan.
    So what do you guys think??
    Thanks a bunch,
     Chaz
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Is this the stock heater?? Empty Re: Is this the stock heater??

Post by Skulptorchaz Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:28 pm

One more thing, do they rust out? This one isn't but, the drain tube was plugged and seems like it could happen.
    Oh, and they had the mounting plate (3rd picture) on backwards. What's up with that???
    Thanks guys.
    Chaz
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:52 pm

There is no drain,,,there is just air blowing the heat from the water running through the heater core out the diverter down to the floor or up to the defroster vents,,,,,I dont know what you got,,,,a leaking heater core would surely rust one out,,,,,

Is this the stock heater?? Dscn9522

Is this the stock heater?? Dscn9523

Is this the stock heater?? Dscn9524
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:10 am

Wow, mine looks NOTHING like yours. Mine actually does have about a 1'' drain tube in the bottom. I took it all apart and blasted and painted it. The inside was fine but since it had a rust clogged drain tube, I thought there may be issues.
    I wonder what I have. It "sorta" seems to fit fine. It is REALLY basic tho - on/off, mechanical flapper for floor or defrost. I wonder if it was added later?? It was an "out west" van and maybe it didn't have one from the factory??????? It's a cute little unit but it's no frills.
    thanks Donivan!
    Chaz
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:13 am

My electrician friend came over and we decided to see if the .50 cent sized ceramic piece wired in line with the heater was a resistor or what. We hooked it all back up to a battery charger, on low, and when we measured the volts before the item in question we had 8 volts DC. Then after the little device, we had 3 volts AC!!!!!!!! Baffling. But, since it was set up that way, I guess I will keep it that way. There are no markings on the motor. The only difference I will do in the future is I will put the switch/rheostat after it to be able to vary the fan speed.
    Just thought I'd fill you in.
    Chaz
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:57 pm

you  should hook your wiring up to a 12 volt battery and take readings,,,,,,a battery charger is not for testing circuits,,,,,do you have some pictures of your system,,,,,our vans have a switch on the steering column,,,,,,has 2 positions,,,,low and high,,,, both send 12 volts to the resistor, which lets 12 or 6 volts go to the motor and that governs the speed,,,,,,,,

Is this the stock heater?? Dscn9526
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:38 pm

Is this the stock heater?? Dsc00713
    This is the rheostat that seems to be converting from DC to AC.

Is this the stock heater?? Dsc00714
    This is it installed.
    The plate that it is mounted to seems to be a "heater delete" plate. There are zero controls anywhere for it, from the factory.

Is this the stock heater?? Dsc00716
    Here is a close up. My guess it is a generic heater or maybe it was donated by some other vehicle. It's a cute little devil and seems to work just fine.

My next issue is, there is no place under the defrost vents to attach hoses. The vents just lay in the dash holes. Any suggestions there?? If I could find something that the hoses could slide on, I have some 3M automotive double stick tape that would hold for a very long time. I'm just not sure where to shop to find something like this.

Thanks guys.
    Chaz
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:33 pm

So,,,,,,just to figure out what you got,,,,,if you turned it around until the drain hose was on the bottom,,,,,,would the outputs kind of point up to the defroster vents and to the floor?   and does it have a heater core in it,,,,,,,,does that motor stick up into the glove box,,,,,,,,in any case you need to do some metal fabrication to get air up to the defrosters if you are going to use that heater,,,,,,,

Is this the stock heater?? Dscn9527
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:06 pm

The drain hose is on the bottom. Actually, it is just a small tube you can barely see in the 3rd picture.
    I'm not sure what you are asking?? the pictures show how I have it mounted. The heat exchanger (radiator, if you will) is mounted horizontal, opposite of what it looks like in your picture. The fan does go up to the glove box area but, I'm not sure if it gets into it as I do not have the actual box. I figure I will just fab one from metal that will fit in that space.
    I can use typical defroster hose to get the air up to the defroster vents but, there are no tubes under the vents to attach the hose to. Just the vents.
    If you look at how your heater mounts to the frount wall - 3 screws on top and 2 on the bottom that screw into the front wall - I have a "heater delete plate" screwed there that someone mounted my heater to and drilled about a 1'' hole in it and the front wall to run the heater hose thru.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:07 am

We have a hard time finding heater cores, so I am interested in what you got,,,,,,we are always looking for new ways to keep our vans going,,,,,,,thats why I am asking all about it,,,,,,,,
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:13 am

That's cool. I wish I could tell ya more. There isn't any sort of name on it anywhere.
    God forbid I should have a problem with it but, if I would, my local auto parts place (not a chain like Auto zone, etc., that needs to know the size of your engine for a bumper bolt) digs into books, etc, to find what I need. GREAT guys......and girl!!!
    It looks like this little fella will do the job, albeit very simple. We should find out today as I just got it licensed and insured yesterday!!! Wooohooo!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 1:54 pm