VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

first gen seats

first gen seats Empty first gen seats

Post by Guest Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:52 pm

Saw these at Good Guys Car show last weekend here in Phoenix. Picture is blurry but they measure up right at 18  inches wide . The backs I didnt measure and that may be a problem with the dogbox lid open?They look a little wider. Seller said they were from a 2017 Chrysler Pacifica.first gen seats Img_0915
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

first gen seats Empty Re: first gen seats

Post by donivan65 Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:42 pm

Since the body starts tapering in at the backrest  on the passenger seat,,,,,,you got 19" of space to squeeze a seat between the wall and doghouse cover,,,,,

,first gen seats Dscn9416
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Number of posts : 940
    Registration date : 2016-05-06

Post by JackeFriend Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:18 am

first gen seats Seats10

I got these seats out of an '05 Audi. They are 19". the sides had to be altered to remove the plastic cover for the controls. It was just right at 19", no room for much else.
    The seats you have in the picture look like they have arm rests, those might need to come off in order to open the doghouse They look very nice, really makes a difference with a comfortable seat.

Good luck I am sure you will make it look great and be a good fit.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:21 am

JackeFriend wrote:first gen seats Seats10

I got these seats out of an '05 Audi. They are 19". the sides had to be altered to remove the plastic cover for the controls. It was just right at 19", no room for much else.
    The seats you have in the picture look like they have arm rests, those might need to come off in order to open the doghouse They look very nice, really makes a difference with a comfortable seat.

Good luck I am sure you will make it look great and be a good fit.

Jackie, the exact model Audi would be helpful if you happen to know.

Previous owner used Chevy Celebrity front seats in mine. The doghouse hits the side bolster on on the passenger side, I believe. It's cloth, so it's easy to clear or with care, could be compressed before lifting the lid to avoid contact. Surprisingly comfortable. Not sure what year model but they are sporty and comfortable. Probably will reuse them in restoration.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Number of posts : 940
    Registration date : 2016-05-06

Post by JackeFriend Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:58 am

Sorry, I did not pay attention to the model. It was a four door sedan. The seats were so clean I got them immediately when I saw them at the junk yard. Got them for $100 total. I will post picture when I get everything installed correctly. I swapped out my 1st gen doghouse for s 2nd gen, the previous owner put in a 350 v-8, it needed room! cheers
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:41 am

first gen seats _12_3_11

I have been chatting with the owner of this Second Gen for sale on eBay to pick his brain about what he has done with his van.

I asked him about the seats.

He said '96 Firebird seats.  

I asked about fit, he said passenger a bit tight but 1.5-2" on driver's side.

He removed the headrests to make them look more appropriate.  Might be another option.

They look very comfortable as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Chevrolet-G20-Van-Custom-built-wheel-and-side-pipe-flares-/112207584517?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:38 pm

The sides of the van taper in, so narrower the higher you go.......Full 19" might be too mach at the headrest, but midback seats with a separate headrest thats not full width would almost certainly fit.
    Those seats in the first pic are full width at the headrest, so I doubt they will work....
    I have a pair of third-gen Camaro seats that I'm going to have reupholstered.... They are tapering mid-back with separate headrests.... What I also like about the is that the seat pad is low-profile, yet comfy...... The seat backs are 19" wide, but won't matter much because I'm reconfiguring the doghouse to move the seats inboard (I want to sit in alignment with the steering column)

GMman
    GMman

Number of posts : 798
    Registration date : 2014-10-14

Post by GMman Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:32 am

I had a good set of Fox body Mustang seats that i used for my van. Its just a little tight for the Dog House lid on the passenger side.first gen seats Oct_2110first gen seats Oct_2111
    AzDon
    AzDon

Post by AzDon Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:05 pm

My first gen had high-backs out of a mazda (back when they were small cars).... The passenger side is always the problen because of it's narrowness. The sharp edge of the first-gen doghouse lid is also not helpfull......If I were looking for Junkyard seats, I'd concentrate on looking in the smallest, narrowest cars ( Fiesta, Festiva, Metro, Yaris, etc) or just shop aftermarket with vendors that publish their specs......Upholstery shops (at least around here) often want more for reupholstery than you might spend on new!
    AzDon
    AzDon

Post by AzDon Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:05 pm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:50 pm