VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Engine placement in frame rails

wirepuller
    wirepuller

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2011-01-28

Engine placement in frame rails Empty Engine placement in frame rails

Post by wirepuller Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:21 pm

Hey guys,

Not much happening on the project right now, back to the planning phase cuz it's freakin' cold up here!  

Do you guys see any problems with mounting the motor as far forward as possible?  I plan to make a custom doghouse/wheel tub/air tunnel for it anyways. Aside from assuring crossmember clearance, do you guys see any problems that might come about with the weight distribution of the van, or other problems?

WP
    chainsaw
    chainsaw

Number of posts : 226
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Engine placement in frame rails Empty Re: Engine placement in frame rails

Post by chainsaw Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:16 pm

Im no engineer but I think our vans are already too front heavy. If you are able to make a new dog house-tunnel you should move the engine back for better handling.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:17 pm

Seeing as Ford had to recall the 61 Econolines and add a weight above the gas tank to help balance the vehicle I'd say moving the engine forward would not be a very good idea. Are you talking about the original six? Is it the van in your avatar? Watch the clearance with the front axle. Why do you want to go forward?

Duane.
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:31 pm

If you look at vans, and all vehicles in general, from then on and before, they are waay engine forward compared to one of these vans. They are light. I think moving the engine up a few inch's would be fine. The first issue that came to mind was cooling but you've thought of that. The second would be interference with the steering cross link and the oil pan. There may be spring issues forward, but they are 50 yr old springs and they're worn out. What year is the van, it has the rear weight? Are you keeping the stock front suspension? They put a 170 and a 240 in the same van. Big weight difference there. I think  scratch  a 240 weighs more or the same as a 400 sbc, a 302 and is at least 100#'s more than a 200?
    wirepuller
    wirepuller

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2011-01-28

Post by wirepuller Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:57 am

Good answers and questions guys.  Yes, the avatar is my van (Here is the thread build link....   Build Thread Link). The added weight over the rear axles did raise a flag for me, but then I think about a pickup truck.  They also do not have a lot of weight over the rear axles.  I think a few inches forward shouldn't hurt anything, ultimately, as econopoor pointed out, I need to watch the oil pan clearance to the cross member.

Here is a shot of my front end right now, the cross member is pretty low, and I am undecided on an engine.  Maybe a 1JZGTE or a TBird supercharged V6, lots of options but looking for something different.  I would like to have the front of the accessories at least at the R&P.  My design for moving it forward is I want to fill up the front facia hole of the van with an aluminum radiator or a turbo intercooler to give it "that look".  I don't want to run the interconnecting tubes a real long way for fear of lots of turbo lag.

Engine placement in frame rails 20150613_170929-M

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:42 pm