VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

econoline - 170 ngine rear main seal hwelp

renata averechts
    renata averechts

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2015-08-21

econoline - 170 ngine rear main seal hwelp Empty econoline - 170 ngine rear main seal hwelp

Post by renata averechts Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:51 pm

hi gang,

a late merry christmas to one and all. i hope santa was good to you.

i posted this in the general section but thought i had better re-post here. i need some help with any tips and tricks for making my engine rear main seal replacement go a little easier. it looks like a real PIA. for instance - do i have to remove that frame brace to get the oil pan out? do i need to jack up the engine? what's the easiest way to get this done. your advice and thoughts most welcome.

i bought new clutch parts and will replace the trans. long shaft seal and the diff. axle seal when i do this. it seems that the most vulnerable thing on this van is everything and anything with rubber in it. door seals, windshield gaskets and vital seals.

best to all.

ra
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12244
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

econoline - 170 ngine rear main seal hwelp Empty Re: econoline - 170 ngine rear main seal hwelp

Post by donivan65 Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:17 pm

,,,I dont know if you have to,,,,,,,,but on our Chevys, we lay a piece of pipe on jackstands and wrap a piece of chain through the motor mounts which holds the engine in place while we remove the crossmember and oil pan to get to the rear main seal,,,,,

econoline - 170 ngine rear main seal hwelp Dscn5410

Current date/time is Mon Oct 07, 2024 6:43 am