VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

65 rear main seal replacement

fyrchief65
    fyrchief65

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2010-10-12

65 rear main seal replacement Empty 65 rear main seal replacement

Post by fyrchief65 Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:38 pm

Has anyone changed a rear main seal in a 65 without pulling the engine? Can you get the pan down? Any tips would be appreciated.

organ grinder

Number of posts : 149
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

65 rear main seal replacement Empty Re: 65 rear main seal replacement

Post by organ grinder Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:26 am

Yes there's room for the pan to come down. I've had to loosen the 2 rear crank bearing caps enough to remove the old seal taking note if the seal is made of rope or rubber. If it's a rope seal you might want to replace it with a rubber one for the ease of install(rubber seal comes in 2 halves)but you have to file off the point on the bearing cap. The point is for holding the rope seal in place and if not removed it will dig through the rubber seal and ruin the crank. To guide the the top portion of the seal around the crank I've used the thin metal taken from an old wiper blade to kinda push the seal around. After the seal is installed re- torque the bearing caps to specs and make sure the motor turns by hand before starting. Hope this helps. BTW, I like the look of your truck!

OG
    fyrchief65
    fyrchief65

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2010-10-12

65 rear main seal replacement Empty 65 Real Main Seal Replacement

Post by fyrchief65 Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:08 am

Thanks OG for the reply. I have purchased a tool called a Sneaky Pete for removel and replacement of the seal so I think I am good to go. I just did not want to get the pan half way off and discover I needed to support the engine and remove the cross member. Thanks again for the reply. FC65

Sponsored content

65 rear main seal replacement Empty Re: 65 rear main seal replacement

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:46 am