VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
DaGroats
johnnyvee
6 posters

radiator help

johnnyvee
    johnnyvee

Number of posts : 30
    Registration date : 2015-11-06

radiator help Empty radiator help

Post by johnnyvee Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:22 pm

I need a radiator for my '63 E100 pickup. I thought the one in it was good, but after the radiator shop looked at, he said it needed replaced. I am putting in a '65 Falcon 200 motor. The thermostat housing is 1 1/4" outside diameter, and the water punp opening is 1 1/2" outside diameter. What are my radiator options? I saw two on e-bay, #30175960948 and #251814178812. The one looks like it will fit in the truck, but the openings are too big.They list the top opening at 1 1/2", and the bottom at 1 3/4". You guys that are running the 200's, did you have the same issue? Any and all help is appreciated.
    John
    DaGroats
    DaGroats

Number of posts : 40
    Registration date : 2015-06-24

radiator help Empty Re: radiator help

Post by DaGroats Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:29 pm

Champion Cooling PN 6065 LD... Drops right in, but has a trans cooler in the bottom tank.
    johnnyvee
    johnnyvee

Post by johnnyvee Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:18 pm

DaGroats, Thanks Man! I will check it out..........johnnyvee
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:50 pm

If it's a radiator shop, can't they re-core it? I got a great shop in Linden ,NJ not too far from you if you are interested, did me right for my GM one. IMO, recoring is better than a cheap replacement.
    ricben57
    ricben57

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2015-10-13

radiator help Empty radiator

Post by ricben57 Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:53 am

If your shop can't recore it, in the near future (next couple of weeks) my newly rodded and fresh original radiator will be available. I am switching to a 240 radiator, as I put a 250 in my van and the radiator for the 170 is just not enough. The new radiator will have to be built so a couple of weeks.
    I'm in California so not sure if the shipping costs will mess up possible sale. To answer your question, the 170 radiator should work fine with the 200. It is an original radiator. I've owned my van for 35 years.

Rick in CA
    johnnyvee
    johnnyvee

Post by johnnyvee Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:11 am

Vantasia and Rick, thanks. I am taking my radiator to a shop about 40 miles away today. I will see if he can help. He says he re-cores. Will let you know after I get back. John
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:41 pm

Good move, its expensive, copper $$$, but you will happy with the result. Ask for a larger core. I was able to get a 2 x 45 row in place of the stock GM 2 x 30 with 5/8" tubes over the stock 1/2", or see if they can fit a 3-core in your tanks but my guy said for a 6, it wouldn't be any better, maybe for a V8 set up. He figured this gives more than 40% more cooling area and it works, I never run my 6 cyl. over 182-185 in hottest summer and now in winter about 170, still plenty hot for heater to work great! But the re-core did the trick with just a stock fan blade, no extra electrics to mess with. Its all in the radiator!
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by Casimier Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:43 am

Hey Johnny Vee and Vantasia.

Glad to see the NJ guys on the forum.
    We should muster up a VAN/VANUP get together before the snow.

About the radiator. I have been experiencing cooling problems with my 289 install.
    I have a champion alum radiator with a Taurus fan setup in mine .
    My next move is to install a newly re-cored 240 big radiator. Cost some big bucks.

I still suspect that there was an air pocket in the block that finally worked itself out.
    Because it seemed to run a little cooler in September.

and Johnny Vee..if you need a small radiator to have re-cored while you are running your truck I have an extra.

Call me guys and we'll set up the meet.
    Jim
    732-998-7529
    Bluelemon
    Bluelemon

Number of posts : 139
    Registration date : 2008-07-10

Post by Bluelemon Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:15 pm

I have an early Mustang 3 row in a 63 Econo with a 200. Have to use 2" spacers or have the mounting flanges reversed for Econoline.
    The correct Econoline rad from Champion has the flanges in correct position.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:56 pm

Casimier wrote:Hey Johnny Vee and Vantasia.

Glad to see the NJ guys on the forum.
    We should muster up a VAN/VANUP get together before the snow.

About the radiator.  I have been experiencing cooling problems with my 289 install.
    I have a champion alum radiator with a Taurus fan setup in mine .
    My next move is to install a newly re-cored 240 big radiator.  Cost some big bucks.

I still suspect that there was an air pocket in the block that finally worked itself out.
    Because it seemed to run a little cooler in September.

and Johnny Vee..if you need a small radiator to have re-cored while you are running your truck I have an extra.

Call me guys and we'll set up the meet.
    Jim
    732-998-7529
    Heck, today would have been warm enough for a car/van show, it was near 70 in NJ today! I had my van out all day shopping!
    johnnyvee
    johnnyvee

Post by johnnyvee Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:50 am

Thanks for all the help and input guys. I almost bought a Champion radiator, but bought an early Mustang radiator instead. It won't take much to make it work. The top two mount holes match. I will only have to modify the bottom holes. The inlet and outlet are the same, 1 1/4".
    Great site. I hope to catch up to some of you guys at an event sometime down the road. My truck may be road worthy by next year. We are in the processd of re-building a Falcon 200. I hope to have it in before the snow flys. It can get pretty nasty here in SW Pa. It is a project.
    Thanks.........johnnyvee

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 12:47 am