VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Finally got my auto trans in

Cuzz
    Cuzz

Number of posts : 63
    Registration date : 2015-07-17

Finally got my auto trans in Empty Finally got my auto trans in

Post by Cuzz Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:12 pm

I will never do that again unless I have my own lift, the cost was way beyond my expectations..
    $500 for the trans core, convertor and parts from Victor
    $600+ to have the trans and convertor totally rebuilt
    $150 B&M extended handle floor shifter
    $1500 labor to have it all installed, which included other parts like a custom driveshaft and trans cooler. Total labor was 22 hours.

The trans shop had a hell of a time. The auto trans had a solid yoke so we had to special order a driveshaft with a slip yoke in the middle and also had to make special spacers to drop the engine down about 1.5"..

All because my wife didn't want to drive a stick, lol.. It is her van so I didn't have much of a choice..
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Finally got my auto trans in Empty Re: Finally got my auto trans in

Post by Seth G Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:33 pm

Jesus... hope she's happy ;D

I'm going to use a teleflex cable and modify the shift arm with a collar w/slides and stops to do the shifting on my aod. Hoping I don't need to rebuild it Neutral errr

Pretty $alty on the install there, nice custom driveshaft is like $225 max(probably $150 up there, I'm from Indiana and it sure is cheaper living there, on everything compared to western WA!). But I can imagine alot of labor with the cooler install and dropping the engine down. Pre '65 van? The fab of the spacer would be a cinch I'm sure but there's all the  scratch  study

Like working on a boat, why does it cost soo much??? Everything is custom, a one off... Hell, feel lucky, if it was a boat it would have been $12K, at least  lol!

Being in the north country like you I'm going to rely on the radiator, at least at first...

I daydream about having the dough to find a good one and put it on a rotisserie when my ship comes in... Laughing but until then I'm on my own. If I can't do it myself, it won't get done ftmp...

Must be nice Wink

You ever float the Pine river up there in Manistee? We used to truck up IN 13 every summer and float that river. Great times. I'm from Wabash
    RF Man
    RF Man

Number of posts : 120
    Registration date : 2014-03-14

Post by RF Man Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:05 am

I'm just finishing the resto on my 61 e-pup and was considering converting over to automatic. You may have just talked me out of it. The older I get, the less interested in shifting I get. I would probably do all the work myself, but if it took your trans shop 22 hours, it would take me 122 hours--ha,ha. By the way, I really like your like your van, especially those blacked out headlight grills. I've considered doing that to mine. They say 3-on-the-tree is the best security measure you can take------most people can't drive one. Good luck
    Mike
    Cuzz
    Cuzz

Post by Cuzz Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:46 am

Seth G wrote:Jesus... hope she's happy ;D

I'm going to use a teleflex cable and modify the shift arm with a collar w/slides and stops to do the shifting on my aod. Hoping I don't need to rebuild it Neutral errr

Pretty $alty on the install there, nice custom driveshaft is like $225 max(probably $150 up there, I'm from Indiana and it sure is cheaper living there, on everything compared to western WA!). But I can imagine alot of labor with the cooler install and dropping the engine down. Pre '65 van? The fab of the spacer would be a cinch I'm sure but there's all the  scratch  study

Like working on a boat, why does it cost soo much??? Everything is custom, a one off... Hell, feel lucky, if it was a boat it would have been $12K, at least  lol!

Being in the north country like you I'm going to rely on the radiator, at least at first...

I daydream about having the dough to find a good one and put it on a rotisserie when my ship comes in... Laughing but until then I'm on my own. If I can't do it myself, it won't get done ftmp...

Must be nice Wink

You ever float the Pine river up there in Manistee? We used to truck up IN 13 every summer and float that river. Great times. I'm from Wabash

I used to live way up north by the Ausable River and floated that but I did salmon fish down by the pine river before too.. I also own property in the upper peninsula too. Now I live down in the city again, the winters and cold that far north took their toll on my bones, lol..

If I had my own lift, which I did at my last house, I could of done most of it myself besides the rebuild.. Mine is a 62, I hear the post 64 models are easier to make the swap.
    Cuzz
    Cuzz

Post by Cuzz Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:53 am

RF Man wrote:I'm just finishing the resto on my 61 e-pup and was considering converting over to automatic. You may have just talked me out of it. The older I get, the less interested in shifting I get. I would probably do all the work myself, but if it took your trans shop 22 hours, it would take me 122 hours--ha,ha. By the way, I really like your like your van, especially those blacked out headlight grills. I've considered doing that to mine. They say 3-on-the-tree is the best security measure you can take------most people can't drive one.  Good luck
    Mike

Since the 61 and 62's never came with an auto trans, there is some modifying to do.. I knew that heading into this project but I didn't expect it to be so wide spread. I figured maybe $1500 total but it doubled by the time we were done.. My new rear tires will be here today and they are a little wider than the ones in the picture and then im going to add some Zoomies over the winter.. We already ditched the roof rack and surfboards..
    Seth G
    Seth G

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:35 pm

Post some pics of the new wheels on if you can. Van already looks bad ass.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:28 am