VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

auto trans

61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

auto trans Empty auto trans

Post by 61econoline Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:39 am

Due to increased gas prices I have Pretty much decided to scrap the v-8 conversion I was planning. My questions are I have an econoline c-4 but no tq convertor or flex-plate I do however have the tq convertor out of a 66 mustang c-4 does anyone know if this will work engine in the van is a 170 the mustang was a 200.My next question is where do I pull vacuum to hook up to the automatics control modual? Thanks Mick
    SlowShadow

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2014-01-18

auto trans Empty Re: auto trans

Post by SlowShadow Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:46 pm

Mine is a 200ci with a c3 behind it.
    The vacuum line is going to the base of my carburetor.
    Other than that observation, I don't know much else because I just got this '62 I'm learning the ropes on now.
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:40 pm

thanks
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:21 am

I would think the flex plate and torque converter should be the same between the 170 and 200. I quick part# search between the two motors for auto trans should give you the answer for sure.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:15 pm

If you call summit racing i'm sure they will answer your question.

http://www.summitracing.com/?gclid=COX8mbXZ1rwCFY87OgodWT4AYQ

Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:08 am

Mick,,,  if you are the same that had been so patiently asking for a cross member I am sorry that it took so long.  I am still way behind on everything which is getting annoying for me also.  Sorry if so.
       I would add also that some times a bigger motor will get better gas mileage depending on the sittuation as you dont have to put your foot in the gas pedal so much to get it to move like you would like it to. The 289 will or can get an easy 20 mpg plus.
      On your asking about installing an auto in your 62 there are a couple of issues that you will need to address besides the torgue converter which will be the same for the two motors. You would do well to consider using the 200 if you can as they run really nicely in our trucks..
      As yours is an EARLY there are some things that you will need to consider and address with the first part being that 64 was the 1st year for an auto in ours and the ONLY year to use the donout mount. Because the bellhousing would hit the floor Ford had to drop the motor down and to do that they had to ADD another mounting hole in the frame as well as make a SPECIAL set of sheet metal engine hanger arms. Because the motor had to be dropped down they also had to make these arms to also move the front of the motor down equally to keep the fuel in the carbuerator level also. These special arms used the later type stud motor mounts and dropped the front of the motor about 1 1/2"'s to match the transmissions lower mounting position. The automatic now using an additional hole that is higher than the standard manual transmission mounting hole. So in other words the one hole you have is for the manual trans and you will need to add another hole up higher for the automatic. Yes,, to drop the engine the donout mount tailstock actually mounts in the upper hole you now need to add......
      You can use your existing engine hanger arms but will need to also space them down the same amount as you drop the transmission height, this keeps the fuel in the carb level and correct.
      The C3 is a what is called the "GREEN DOT" shift pattern and is really not liked very well and you can easily change it by switching your existing "valve body" out to a later year and preferred shifting pattern.
      In regards to your steering column,, there is no such thing as an OEM 62 automatic steering column HOWEVER you can use a 64 automatic steering column OR I can make you one out of your manual steering column.  The earlies (61 to 64) all had the steering BOX mounted at a different angle than the lates (65-67) and so you cannot interchange them. You CAN interchange any 61 to 64 as long as you use that steering columns matching dash mounting bracket though.
      I specialize in steering columns so I make automatics exactly like the factory ones as well as shift rod TO shift cable conversions. I also have stock shift rods and kick down rods if you need those also.
    vic

auto trans 100_1615

auto trans Img_0113

auto trans Early_11

auto trans 000_0517

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 2:27 pm