VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
Bigez77
vanny
Barnabas
chainsaw
8 posters

Spotted these

chainsaw
    chainsaw

Number of posts : 226
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Spotted these Empty Spotted these

Post by chainsaw Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:14 pm

Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Spotted these Empty Re: Spotted these

Post by Barnabas Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:27 pm

Nice
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:25 pm

Looks like it's in pretty nice shape and with a tailgate...bonus!!! cheers

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Bigez77
    Bigez77

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2010-08-21

Post by Bigez77 Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:08 am

Where was the yard located?
    chainsaw
    chainsaw

Number of posts : 226
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by chainsaw Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:23 pm

Denton Tx. across from northstar drag strip on memory lane. Yes , thats the name of the street.
    QCT
    QCT

Number of posts : 559
    Registration date : 2015-01-01

Post by QCT Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:43 pm

uante
    uante

Number of posts : 1466
    Registration date : 2014-01-26

Post by uante Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:29 am

Interesting how the old mirror posts stayed on this van (61 Falcon Econoline Van - "Only" $2,495) so long after the West Coast mirrors where put on.

Spotted these Tytt10
    QCT
    QCT

Post by QCT Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:06 pm

What was the story with the mirrors on these vans? The 66 Super Van I have appears to have had 3 different types of mirrors on it. The doors are like Swiss cheese! Also had a 65 travel wagon with the same thing..
    uante
    uante

Number of posts : 1466
    Registration date : 2014-01-26

Post by uante Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:00 pm

Spotted these Door10

I have no idea why people swapped them so much. This is my passenger door after I took the later model Chevy mirrors off. I think it had 4 different sets on this side, it had original mirrors, probably some West Coast style or two, and finally the Chevy ones. I welded them all up and went back to original style.

Spotted these Weld310
    QCT
    QCT

Post by QCT Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:25 pm

Exactly what i'm talking about! Not sure what people were thinking over the years. Your door looks very similar to my super van doors. Fortunately my travel wagon I plan on restoring this winter still has the original west coast style mirrors on it. Not having to weld all the mirror holes should save me some time in the restoration process. I part out a travel wagon months ago and it had at least 3 sets of mirrors at one point as well. When I got it there were universal Walmart type mirrors on it.. Made me $10 from a guy putting together an off road jeep project. He actually took the used headlight bulbs for another $10!
    Seth G
    Seth G

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:44 pm

I regret scrapping my west coast mirrors. They were wore out plain steel fomoco ones. Would be a pretty easy thing to make a new set of arms out of stainless. All the other stuff is still available(except the fomoco wind guards maybe) new from a few suppliers. The door mounts, mirror mounts, the mirrors etc, and all in stainless. I'd love to have a good fomoco set of stainless west coast mirrors. They come up from time to time, but pretty rare, esp with the guards. The universal(adjustable) west coast jr arms are shit. It's all about the arms...

Last edited by Seth G on Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
    QCT
    QCT

Post by QCT Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:50 pm

Seth did you have this style? These are the same mirrors I have on my travel wagon.. These popped up on eBay recently but the seller ended the listing early. I love the description.. "Used, rusty, crusty, old".

Spotted these S-l16012

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Econoline-61-74-West-Coast-Style-Side-Mirrors-F100-F250-F-series-/361424396547?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=Pyw3K5Pm6zapMLXpza8eBiv0BQo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Last edited by QCT on Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:53 pm

Yep. Crusty maybe but those look better than mine did lol! Just need a pair of arms for reference......

Lower door mount was different than that, same as the top iirc, 2 bolt anyway. Top and bottom. Looks like they dbl'd up the lower mount on that set for whatever reason. All that stuff's available new in stainless, USA made I think even. Been a while since I looked into it, but there's a supplier that has all that stuff. The arm has to be custom made though to fit the van. It's a jr style setup

Last edited by Seth G on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
    QCT
    QCT

Post by QCT Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:02 pm

There is an 8-door super van sitting in a corn field about 10mins from my house. It may have a set on it, not sure. The guy wants $300 for the van but the issue is that there is no rear in it. Everyone jumps on those 9in rears when they see them! I'd like to dump it in my garage to strip it but not sure how to get it home.

You looking for a scrap set to use as a template to make your own?

Sorry just saw you edit your post before I could get this one up!
    QCT
    QCT

Post by QCT Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:05 pm

The travel wagon I have has the single mount like your talking about. I didn't take notice in the eBay picture until you point that out..
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:07 pm

Yeah man, I'd love a set of the arms. Still kicking myself, hindsight is always 20/20. Would be great to have the arms for a template.

I thought I wanted the falcon/regular style mirrors, but they suck in use. West coast mirrors are way better for a driver like mine.
    QCT
    QCT

Post by QCT Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:16 pm

Will keep an eye out for yah! I made a new friend a few weeks back out in the country about an hour away. No phone service, middle of no where! No joke.. he probably has 12 early E vans. From show stoppers to parts vans. Also has tons and tons of parts.. Like hoarders style! Parts from pretty much scrap stuff to stuff that looks like it was taken off the van before it rolled off the lot back in the 60's. He seemed kinda motivated to sell. I will give him a ring tomorrow and see what he has. You just need for a template right? Doesn't have to be fancy? Either way I will see what he has. Maybe you can score a nice set and skip the hard work of building them from scratch!

I find the west coast mirrors to be great especially with the extended travel wagon.
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:23 pm

Honestly, just a pc of cardboard with a trace would suffice...
    ramian09
    ramian09

Number of posts : 167
    Registration date : 2010-01-26

Spotted these Empty door parts

Post by ramian09 Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:14 pm

Hello I'm looking for a lot of things. First thing is the upper mounting bracket and the screws for the passanger side triangle window. They are the ones that attach to it to give it a pivot point on the top of the window. All so the push button handle that allows the front passenger triangle window to open. I am looking for the entire door mechanism for both front and rear side doors. I need the small piece that attachs the key cylinder to the locking mechanism in the drivers side front door. It is shaped like a C. I need two of the little springs that hold it in the key cylinder. I need an interior handle for the front passenger side door. There are some really small pieces that screw into the side and rear doors. They attach on the top and bottom of the doors where the latches go into the body. They help the latches go in properly and help reinforce the door edges. I need four of those pieces. Thanks any help or parts would be awesome!!
    QCT
    QCT

Post by QCT Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:19 am

Ramian09, sending you a PM now with some pics. Feel free to call or text anytime.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:16 pm