VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

1969 Sportvan Restoration

Mr. Vanderson
    Mr. Vanderson

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2015-08-03

1969 Sportvan Restoration Empty 1969 Sportvan Restoration

Post by Mr. Vanderson Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:34 pm

A couple years back I bought a '69 Sportvan, originally I was just going to fix it up to drive, but I decided to do a full restoration on it. I've had a hard time finding parts, but I got most of what I need. Right now I'm stripping it down and talking to paint shops. I figured I'd post some pictures to keep track of progress and to share.

Backstory:

I plan on restoring as close to original as possible, luckily my dad has a 3/4 ton version of the same van, and he is modifying it with modern stuff, like replacing the accelerator linkage with a cable, so I have a bunch of spare parts in that area.

I also need a few parts that I haven't been able to find, so at the bottom of this post I'll make a list of parts I'll need, and maybe you guys might have some I can buy!

To be specific, it is a 1969 1/2 Ton Sportvan 108 Deluxe

1969 Sportvan Restoration XiqnFH7
    1969 Sportvan Restoration WKVqGMq
    1969 Sportvan Restoration QFXvrP1
    1969 Sportvan Restoration XomQRUl
    1969 Sportvan Restoration B9HruKq

Parts I'll buy:
    1969 Sportvan deluxe Hubcaps (1/2 ton Chrome w/ blue bowtie)
    "108" and "Deluxe" Emblems
    Rear door "Chevrolet" Emblem (<$60)
    Interior panels
    Passenger Seat mounting bracket (x4)
    Passenger Seatbelts (X2)
    Passenger Sunvisor
    New seat upholstery (Original style)
    Bumpers
    rdsrds123
    rdsrds123

Number of posts : 19
    Registration date : 2015-09-27

1969 Sportvan Restoration Empty Re: 1969 Sportvan Restoration

Post by rdsrds123 Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:57 am

What a great canvas you've got there!
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:40 pm

Clean looking van!

Your bumpers don't look bad. You can send them to a chrome shop and I would think they could get them right and re-chrome if desired.

A member here had Sportvan interior panels. Hopefully he still has them.

He also had Sportvan trim that goes around the van. Not sure whether your van had them or if you need them.

Member Gr8ful here has been moving a lot of parts, so maybe he has what you need.

Good luck with the build!
    Mr. Vanderson
    Mr. Vanderson

Post by Mr. Vanderson Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:08 pm

Sadly, the bumpers are pretty mangled, especially the rear one.

So far I removed the instrument panel and the front wiring harness, and removed the dash pad (which was a pain, but came off in one piece!) I started college so I had a lot of stuff to do, however now I have more time so I'll certainly get on this more.

The wiring harness is luckily in one piece, aside from the coil wire. I plan on making a as close to duplicate as I can, I was left with a great guide!

I plan on taking out the rear wiring harness next.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14777
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:31 am

Congrats Mr. Vanderson, looks like you have a solid plan in place. I'm sure some members will be chiming in with some parts you're looking for. Thanks for the pics and keep them coming as you progress. Very Happy cheers

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Mr. Vanderson
    Mr. Vanderson

Post by Mr. Vanderson Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:45 pm

Hi, I know it has been years since I opened this thread, but I got an email that reminded me that I made it, so I figured it was worth an update.

My plans for my van have changed in the past five years. I'm in college and I just don't have the time or money to restore it, so I decided to leave it as-is and enjoy it. It sat for about 4 years after this post with me working on it little-by-little. I've completely rewired it, replaced all the exterior engine/trans seals, and many other little things.

2 years ago I moved across the state and left my van in a friend's yard to retrieve later, driving my Corvair instead. A year later, I finally saved enough to buy a new windshield and tires and took the greyhound 300 miles to get my van.

Up to this point, I've only driven my van around the block when I finished rewiring it, and I was about to drive it 300 miles home, on its first real drive in at least 20 years. I had 2 days to make sure it was road-ready before my dad met me in his own van to dive back with me (we were also getting things out of a storage unit).

The van performed beautifully and had no problem getting home. Since I've been driving it for the past year, I've only had a few small incidents. My dad and I take our vans on road trips when we can.

I bought my van in 2012 when I was 15 for $700 (that I saved up for years), and now 8 years later, and 7 years of little-by-little work I can finally enjoy my first car!

I might make a separate post about this story.

1969 Sportvan Restoration YC3EKma
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2628
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:44 pm

Good to hear you still have your van & are enjoying it.
    post some pics when you have the time.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14777
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:42 pm

That's awesome that you have a passion for these vintage vans...I'm assuming that maybe your father having one may have had some influence on that. It's nice to see the younger generation taking an interest in these!!! They're fun to work on and even more fun to drive and have adventures with.
     Thanks for sharing pics and stories with us. That's what this site is all about cheers cheers cheers What a Face

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:07 am