VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

not getting fuel

GiraffeSquad
    GiraffeSquad

Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2014-04-09

not getting fuel Empty not getting fuel

Post by GiraffeSquad Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:48 am

I have a 69 g10. Just got my tank and sending unit professionally refinished.Then ran all new hard line, new fuel pump, and new inline fuel filter before the carb(clear plastic inline one). And this is on a 250 inline 6 with a mechanical fuel pump.

Long story short I'm not getting fuel, you can see in the clear inline filter its not filling the lines. But the weird thing is its intermittent. Sometimes I walk outside, the fuel line is full, I fire it up and it runs fine. Then dies out once I drive faster than neighborhood speeds. Then other days I come out and the line is clear and no matter how much the motor cranks pumping that little mechanical pump I still get no fuel. The van will fire up and idle fine on fumes but you can't take it out for a drive.

Anyone have any ideas what might be going on? Soon I may just swap to an electric pump but I would like to run the mechanical if can.

Also on another note this is the 4th fuel pump I have tried. All with the same issue. All have been through Advance, part # 40446

Thanks for any info.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

not getting fuel Empty Re: not getting fuel

Post by Vantasia Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:22 pm

Have you turned the engine over with the pump outlet line stuck into an empty plastic water bottle, both with the filter on and off? The gas should squirt out in short bursts of an ounce or two each time the cam pushes the lever on the pump.  That will tell you if you are getting gas through the pump and if its working properly.  If you have a fuel pressure gauge, the stock pump should be 3-4 psi, but the bottle test will tell you.  This will tell you if that filter is restricting the flow or the internal filter at the carb fitting (if it has one) or something else in the carb is bad.  If gas isn't coming out of the pump, its the pump or another part of the line or sender.  Does gas siphon out of the line before the pump?  You are correct that with a carbed engine the filter must be between the pump and carb, otherwise the air pocket in the filter will could cause on and off "vapor locks".  If the pump is new and correct most are made with an ethanol resistant diaphram.  I just installed one of these on my 194 I6 with no problems, not sure who makes it...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/FUEL-PUMP-CHEVY-II-153-194-BELAIR-IMPALA-CHECKER-CHEVROLET-230-STUDEBAKER-194-/331336208609?hash=item4d252d50e1&vxp=mtr
    Again if you are getting gas, its the carb.  Also, what kind of cap did you put on the tank?? All the new caps are only vented one way and don't let air in so a vacuum can form in the tank.  Donivan describes a way to drill a pinhole in the cap to let air in, it also allows for pressure to release...but try the water bottle test first, a few seconds and the bottle should fill up 3/4.  The more I re-read what you say, sounds like the pump is wrong or a you have a clog somewhere like a sticking float valve in the carb.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:16 pm

Do you have a filter inside the carb????? are the hoses on the tank and going to the fuel pump new and tight??? that 40446 is surely my favorite pump,,,,,,,
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:05 pm

donivan65 wrote:Do you have a filter inside the carb????? are the hoses on the tank and going to the fuel pump new and tight???   that 40446 is surely my favorite pump,,,,,,,
    Yes, check for that, its like a brass cone that screws into the carb fitting, they can clog over time. BTW, most electric pumps put out way too much pressure for a stock 1BBL carb, you'll need a fuel regulator too, more trouble than its worth. The high pressure will force gas past the float valve and cause flooding. You should be able to make the stock set up work fine. And gas disappears from the line, bowl and filter from heat trapped in the doghouse after shutdown on these vans all the time, that's normal and the pump replentishes it as soon as you start it up.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:18 pm

,,,,,,,my van sure did not like an electric fuel pump,,,,,,,
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:39 pm

I like that shelter your van is under, who makes that?

Try the things vantasia is recomending. Then I am sure many will agree. get rid of the plastic fuel filter.
    There is no greater fire hazard to these vans than a plastic fuel filter in the dog house. I even go as far  as no rubber fuel lines in the engine compatment at all. it should be all steel from the fuel pump to the carb.

I mounted my steel cased fuel filter on the frame outside the dog house.

M1D
    ac95
    ac95

Number of posts : 40
    Registration date : 2015-03-16

Post by ac95 Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:55 am

Recently had fuel issues myself. After changing the carb, fuel pump, adding an inline filter and regulator, I found another fuel filter next to the gas tank. Replaced it and been running fine ever since.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:05 pm