VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
donivan65
steady
6 posters

front axle compatibility question

steady
    steady

Number of posts : 16
    Registration date : 2014-02-14

front axle compatibility  question Empty front axle compatibility question

Post by steady Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:27 am

does anyone know if chevy/gm truck or earlier model van straight axle will replace the one in my 1967. im trying to find out if theye are the same or not to help speed up my search. im looking to rebuild one without taking my van off the road, my kingpins are getting worn. any help or info would be really appreciated. much respect.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

front axle compatibility  question Empty Re: front axle compatibility question

Post by donivan65 Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:07 am

a 1st Gen, 1964-66, uses 2" wide springs,,,,,which means the U bolt holes in the axle are 2" apart,,,,,the 2nd Gens, 1967-70, have the weirdest springs in the world,,,,,3" at the perches, 2 1/2" at the U bolts,,,,,,,,drag links are 180 degrees out,,,,,that makes the steering knuckle different,,,,,,,so it is possible to use a 1st Gen axle,,,,,,you need springs, wider bushings, and a drag link........IF,,,,the springs are the same length to fit,,,,,,1st Gens are 48" bolt hole center to center,,,,,,how long are 2nd Gens?
    dougtappan
    dougtappan

Number of posts : 310
    Registration date : 2014-08-19

Post by dougtappan Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:51 pm

If you haven't gotten the king pins yet Orielys has them in brass or bronse(don't know which) I wish I kept the box they came in so I could give you a # but they are available.Make sure you specifie you want metal bushings.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:24 pm

I think you will have a hard time finding Bronze bushings,,,,,and there is a chance that they might have to be reamed out for the kingpin to fit,,,,,,,,now those nylon ones are easy to snap in,,,,,,,IF,,,,
    that kingpin wants to come out,,,,,,,you could probably go out at lunchtime and do 1 side if you have everything ready,,,,,,,,

front axle compatibility  question Repair18

front axle compatibility  question Repair19

front axle compatibility  question Repair20
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:23 pm

anyone ? get me a size on the diameter of a new king pin? I have a reamer-maybe same size??
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:24 pm

a kingpin is 0.8170,,,,,,,,,,the reamer is 0.8174
    Xelmon
    Xelmon

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-10-11

Post by Xelmon Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:51 am

@ Donivan:
    Ah, so the gap is .0002 ... Man that's tight.
    Also, I say "Hah!" to easily removable kingpins. Mine took 15 Tons to budge and 6 Tons to push out. Obviously, they were never ever changed.

@ Steady/Doug:
    Looked on O'Reilly, and lo and behold they do have brass bushing versions! Of course, that's for the 5 lug axle.

Rare Parts, #30418, ~$170 - Brass bushings

Or, go to RockAuto and search for " MOOG 8494N "
    ~$47 + S/H - plastic bushings

The 6 lug's only got plastic bushings... Which means I'll have to make my set.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:38 am

On the moog part number "N" is nylon. "B" is bronze, if you can find a 8494B thats what you want.

Steady, I have a guy here who says he has a 67 axle for sale with tight king pins.
    Tight means either good to go or seized, I don't know? the other question is the camber

send me an email m1dadio@shaw.ca

m1d
    Xelmon
    Xelmon

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-10-11

Post by Xelmon Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:43 am

Oooo, good to know M1D, thanks!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 4:36 pm