VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
samsvan
arkansas_matt
6 posters

engine question (cant find what im looking for)

arkansas_matt
    arkansas_matt

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2015-04-14

engine question (cant find what im looking for) Empty engine question (cant find what im looking for)

Post by arkansas_matt Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:39 pm

Hey guys/gals, after blowing a head gasket, replacing it and still having water in my oil, ive come to the conclusion I either have a cracked/warped head/block. I've decided im just going to replace the motor and be done with it, less to worry about for me. My question is this, I have a 67 3 speed (not sure it 10 or 12 bolt at this very second) but I want to know what engines will literally mate right up to my trans with nothing more than old coming out, new going in and driving away? I know 194, 230, and 250 for sure but can I go for something a little less "hard to find"? Ive thumbed through pages and pages on here but am still kinda drawing a blank. Maybe I should look when I havnt been working the sun all day haha.. anyway, thanks for any info and sorry if im a question repeater.

matt
    samsvan
    samsvan

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2014-09-04

engine question (cant find what im looking for) Empty Re: engine question (cant find what im looking for)

Post by samsvan Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:58 pm

econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

engine question (cant find what im looking for) Empty Re: engine question (cant find what im looking for)

Post by econopoor Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:05 pm

One question before you go replacing the engine. Did you seal the head bolts when you reinstalled them? The go into the water jackets and the threads need to be sealed so water/antifreeze doesn't leak past into the oil.

Duane in Tennessee.
    arkansas_matt
    arkansas_matt

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2015-04-14

Post by arkansas_matt Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:56 pm

I did not use sealer on the head bolts... I followed my shop manual (an original factory manual) and it didn't mention anything about that. it makes sense but this was my first head gasket replacement on a water cooled motor. guess ill be pulling it off and replacing the gasket again to be safe and then using some permatex on that shit. im thinking about taking the head to be checked for cracks, also to be on the safe side. the cost to replace fluids, gaskets, and buying some sealant is way cheaper than a motor, so hopefully this will fix the issue. thanks for the info! ill keep yall posted.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:05 pm

any chev engine 6 or V-8 will bolt up!! all bellhousings same from 1955 up! head is likely warped- or head / block cracked from overheating?? Any time a head is overheated?? check it for straightness & cracks - might even do a valve job too! Some will argue with me on my next statement - yet After i do this I have NEVER!! Had a head gasket leak!! I always use KW copper coat gasket sealer -the spray on can -  put it on any head gasket & head & block surfaces!-even the blue sealed Head gaskets!!!!!!! Twisted Evil  install  it - torque all head bolts &  bye bye  leaks. cheers sealer on all head bolts too--yet different type sealer!!
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 741
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:32 pm

chevy v-8s will bolt right up to your flywheel, bellhousing, starter, and engine mounts without any modifications...... What you WOULD have to modify is: Sides of the doghouse on first gen, Throttle linkage (use teleflex marine cable for this), and some of the wiring lengths would need modification....Transmission, driveshaft, clutch and linkages would not need mods....
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:23 pm

Exhaust and radiator hoses too...

Unless you got a killer deal on a 6, the V8 is the way to go.

engine question (cant find what im looking for) Could-ve-had-a-v8-o

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 pm