VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
Joe Van
savage
Twinpilot001
Magic Potion
arkansas_matt
9 posters

67 in austin tx

arkansas_matt
    arkansas_matt

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2015-04-14

67 in austin tx Empty 67 in austin tx

Post by arkansas_matt Sat May 23, 2015 3:27 pm

Didn't see an introduction area so I figured this works. If im wrong, please move this post. I have a 67 that was a daily driver until yesterday when she blew a head gasket. Hopefully it wont be a big deal... While Im in there, I plan to replace all the cooling components and install an aluminum radiator and 6 blade fan (Austin tx gets hot right about now). Not sure what else to say, just trying to work my way through the kinks as I find them. Ill be starting the body work soon and painting it before summers end. Van was an old refrigerator repair mans work van but sadly the logo on the side cant be salvaged due to it being sanded past most of the original lettering. Id like to meet more vanners in Austin, so please let me know if youre out there.

67 in austin tx Van_111

67 in austin tx Van211
    Magic Potion
    Magic Potion

Number of posts : 148
    Registration date : 2015-03-13

67 in austin tx Empty Re: 67 in austin tx

Post by Magic Potion Sat May 23, 2015 4:31 pm

Welcome to the site! This is a slow weekend for the site everybody is out and about as they should be. I am fairly new to the site but have had lots of help from the guys here, they have been working on these old vans for a long time and their passion shows in how willing they are to help.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat May 23, 2015 4:35 pm

welcome - used to be from that area!! have that radiator boiled out!! yes=that area gets hot!! reason i LEFT after 40 years!! Twisted Evil Get her fixed & go float the river @ new B!!
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2632
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Sun May 24, 2015 4:30 am

Welcome, Nice van to start with.. Hope your back on the road soon
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Sun May 24, 2015 4:51 am

Welcome To VV..!!!.. cheers ..Good Luck on the Repair...

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sun May 24, 2015 8:08 pm

Welcome to VV. Looks like a great project. I hope you get her fixed up soon and back on the road.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14778
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Mon May 25, 2015 4:29 am

Welcome aboard Matt! Thank you for posting pics. Looks like a nice solid starting point for you. Feel free to post any questions along the way...plenty of helpful people with lots of vintage experience! Pics are very helpful when asking questions to get everyone on the same page.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    arkansas_matt
    arkansas_matt

Post by arkansas_matt Mon May 25, 2015 12:45 pm

thanks everyone, rain has been pretty wild here the last few weeks and I have no way of getting the van back to my house into the garage. gonna have to knock out all the repairs in the street in front of my parents house where it died.
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2632
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Tue May 26, 2015 5:38 am

One of the advantages of the vans,your inside out of rain for most repairs. Hope all goes well with your repair,and you can stay dry,& don't get washed away.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Tue May 26, 2015 6:17 am

Welcome, yes, consider boiling out or re-coring your stock radiator, find a shop that can do it, better than modifying an aluminum to fit. What fan do you have? the factory 5-blade works with with a new radiator.  Many threads on cooling here...yeah, heard its flooding all over Austin area....good start, you already figured out how to post some pics!
    wayno313
    wayno313

Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2015-05-27

Post by wayno313 Wed May 27, 2015 2:16 pm

Good luck with your Van. These things are awesome. I bought a 68 108 sportsman window Van in 1971 when I got out of High School. I had Vans until 1981.
    I live in Florida and am looking for an old G Van to fix up. This is a GREAT Site. Hope you do well and I can find one for myself.
    arkansas_matt
    arkansas_matt

Post by arkansas_matt Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:26 am

alright, got everything replaced and back together. decided to flush the radiator and replaced the fan with a really nice 6 blade racing fan from summit. replaced all the fluids, some seals, thermostat and the housing (it was cracked and corroded). Adjusted the valves and timing and she ran like a champ. drove her the 15 miles home from my parents house and by the time I made it home she was billowing white smoke at the start of each gear. Then my radiator decided it wanted to leak all its contents onto my driveway (hose clamp issue im sure, cause im a dingus). im going to drain the oil again, pull the oil pan and make sure I get all the potential residual water out of her and try refilling it again. she ran way too well to make me think there is still an issue with the head gasket. any input would be greatly appreciated! Ive never had a vehicle blow a head gasket, Ive been lucky and mostly built and run vw's in my past. thanks guy/gals!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:24 pm