VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
donivan65
EvilToywarz
6 posters

1st Gen or 2nd Gen Gas tank bolts

EvilToywarz
    EvilToywarz

Number of posts : 35
    Registration date : 2014-06-16

1st Gen or 2nd Gen Gas tank bolts Empty 1st Gen or 2nd Gen Gas tank bolts

Post by EvilToywarz Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:16 am

Hello, does anyone have a good used set of gas tank "J" bolts I could buy? I snapped one off yesterday removing my gas tank on my 68 Chevy sportsvan. Thanx!

1st Gen or 2nd Gen Gas tank bolts Img_0710
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

1st Gen or 2nd Gen Gas tank bolts Empty Re: 1st Gen or 2nd Gen Gas tank bolts

Post by donivan65 Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:41 pm

Well,,,,,,,,a 6" piece of 3/8" threaded rod or carriage bolt can be heated up and bent to do the job,,,,,this one just might be sitting under my front seat at EconoWest  on the 19th,,,,,,,,

1st Gen or 2nd Gen Gas tank bolts Dscn6210

1st Gen or 2nd Gen Gas tank bolts Econow14
    EvilToywarz
    EvilToywarz

Post by EvilToywarz Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:08 pm

Hey,

Thanx for the info and reply....do you know any 1st or 2nd gen parts vans? I am in need of several parts...

Looking for a set of vent window frames for my 64 and the lower window channel bar for the passenger side front door on my 68. It is completely missing, not sure why? My window rolls up and down like crap.

Any help would be great!
    Casey
    951 329-7500
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:17 pm

EvilToywarz wrote:the lower window channel bar for the passenger side front door on my 68. It is completely missing, not sure why? My window rolls up and down like crap.

Look inside the door, in the bottom! Often the glue separates from the glass and the window channel bar falls down inside the door.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:29 pm

the vent glass channel guides the front of the glass up and down,,,,,,the backside of the glass is guided on top by the rubber molding while a channel that is bolted on on top and on the bottom of the door, guides it down,,,,,,,,if you take the door panel off, is that what is bad or is it the track that actually lifts the glass up,,,,
    EvilToywarz
    EvilToywarz

Post by EvilToywarz Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:53 pm

The metal piece that attaches to the glass with impact tape is still attached..... Yes its the channel that has the 1/4-20 bolt at the top and the bottom of the door, which guides the glass.

That is missing and there is no hardware, someone removed it before me.....I was wondering why the glass kept rocking back when I rolled the glass down.

Do you have an extra one of those parts?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:10 pm

I don't have an extra,,,,,,but it just seems like it is just a 24" long piece of 3/4" wide channel like on Screen doors or something,,,,,its nothing special,,,,

1st Gen or 2nd Gen Gas tank bolts Dscn6211
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:14 pm

First thing to do is make sure none of your parts are laying in the bottom of the door!
    diamond dave
    diamond dave

Number of posts : 565
    Registration date : 2012-04-24

Post by diamond dave Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:57 pm

I have a couple sets of j bolts that I use with the straps I made. I will dig them out and snap a couple pics tomorrow if I remember. text or call me if you still need one and I can send you pics. 330-612-4338
    EvilToywarz
    EvilToywarz

Post by EvilToywarz Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:54 pm

diamond dave wrote:I have a couple sets of j bolts that I use with the straps I made. I will dig them out and snap a couple pics tomorrow if I remember. text or call me if you still need one and I can send you pics. 330-612-4338

Okay cool...thanx! I will text you tomorrow....
    EvilToywarz
    EvilToywarz

Post by EvilToywarz Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:56 pm

Digz wrote:First thing to do is make sure none of your parts are laying in the bottom of the door!

Yeah I checked that already...8-( On my 1st gen I found the window bracket that mounts to glass, but on my 2nd, no luck!

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:15 am

Actually had to replace the part your talking about in my 65 this winter. No easy task as you have to get the window out of the way to access the top screw. Mine was broken off at the bottom bolt and the flat at the top was nearly torn off from getting beat up last fall as I kept putting it off.
    1st Gen or 2nd Gen Gas tank bolts Rusted11
    Fortunately I had a donor door that was crap as I had to cut the metal out of the door to save that one piece intact. Then finished disassembling it on the bench. Hopefully you can find something out there that hasn't been exposed to this MI weather and come apart easier. If you had the part they can be repaired somewhat.

Last edited by Digz on Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
    morbank
    morbank

Number of posts : 161
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by morbank Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:07 pm

I recently made a replacement window channel for my drivers side door (I'm pretty sure there is no difference between drivers and passengers). I don't have a shop so I was stuck making the replacement channel out of a wedge of wood. It took some fine tuning to get the angle just right but once I did it worked pretty good. I used some old ikea hardware for the rails at the top to create the channel for the rubber fuzzy strip to sit in and fastened the wood wedge in place at the bottom with a wood screw. The side of the wood that runs up against where the lock mechanism is has to be notched so that it doesn't interfere with the lock. It looks really stupid but it works and once you put the door back together you can't see it! It's a temporary fix and I ened up getting my hands on a replacement window channel to replace my wood one last week.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 5:53 pm