VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
kookykrispy
Twinpilot001
Vantastic
7 posters

Thinking of a rag top

Vantastic
    Vantastic

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2011-02-28

Thinking of a rag top Empty Thinking of a rag top

Post by Vantastic Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:04 am

Alright... I'm just looking for opinions here. Im thinking of installing a rag top on my van. I need some air flow and I do live in California(it doesn't rain in California)  What you opinion?? and whats a good application
    Thanks for sharing
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Thinking of a rag top Empty Re: Thinking of a rag top

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:24 pm

My only thoughts are = is the existing top straight / no rust thru?/ if so -id find another van to do!! Now -if bad id suggest contacting a member here= "Wirepuller" as he bought an econo from me that i had removed a camper top from. He will know all about who/ what on rag tops as he's redoing that econo like no one has eved done-with a rag top!! cheers
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:37 pm

Don't do that to your van. please resist the urge to butcher vintage classic sheetmetal.

If you need airflow, do they have pop-out windows for the fords like the chevy sportvans have? with both sides of the sportvan windows popped open, its like a wind tunnel inside when you're underway
    wirepuller
    wirepuller

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2011-01-28

Post by wirepuller Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:03 pm

Sorry traditionalists,

I'm going to go against the grain here.  Because mine already has a gaping hole in the roof, I am going to put a sliding rag top in it.  Probably one from the link I provided, and they are right in your backyard...so to speak, as I'm from Canada.  Click on me!!!!  I think they are pretty cool, and will definately give you air movement.  I say go for it.

WP
    Vantastic
    Vantastic

Post by Vantastic Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:16 pm

I know the thought of cutting my van up does kinda make me queezy. No rist and perfectly straight. I have some pop out windows, but i can not find the rubbers anywhere. I know Tim was going to try and get some made but I don't think he has been successful. Anybodu know where to get them??
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:00 pm

I fitted one on mine, as the travelwagon camper roof was destroyed on the way over to the UK from the USA. It is not an easy job though, the strengthening ribs that run along the length of the roof make life very difficult....!!

Thinking of a rag top IMG_0748

Thinking of a rag top IMG_06791

You can see in this last photo that i had to weld in a section of flat metal to create a water tight front edge. A lot of welding went into joining the flat section with the original ribbed section. It was very tricky, but the finished result looks lovely, even if nobody can see it from the ground...!!!

Thinking of a rag top IMG_06761

Driving it at any sort of speed with the roof open is eventful to say the least, i tend to  leave mine closed when on the move.
    Not sure i would do it to a van with a good solid roof, you could get aircon fitted for the price of a good ragtop...
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:32 pm

sy -Great job - i remember when u bought it & that delievery guy over there lost that top! Looks Good now!! cheers cheers cheers
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:32 pm

Thanks, it was a challenge with my limited welding skills but the end result was worth it.
    65-G10-guy
    65-G10-guy

Number of posts : 110
    Registration date : 2012-11-16

Post by 65-G10-guy Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:40 am

Vantastic, you've got a good looking van there. I always hesitate to do permanent modifications to vintage stuff, but it's your van and if you plan on keeping it then why not do what you want and enjoy it. Sy's top looks really nice. I think that if you can get a quality top like Sy's and have the time to do a proper installation, it will add to the character of the van. The fun factor will make it well worth while. Just make sure it will seal well and not create problems later.
    diamond dave
    diamond dave

Number of posts : 565
    Registration date : 2012-04-24

Post by diamond dave Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:31 pm

Vantastic wrote:I know the thought of cutting my van up does kinda make me queezy. No rist and perfectly straight. I have some pop out windows, but i can not find the rubbers anywhere. I know Tim was going to try and get some made but I don't think he has been successful. Anybodu know where to get them??

what rubbers are you needing for your windows? I cant remember how close they are to my chevy pop outs, but I found some really good seals that work awesome on them. might work on your stuff too.
    Vantastic
    Vantastic

Post by Vantastic Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:00 pm

diamond dave wrote:
    Vantastic wrote:I know the thought of cutting my van up does kinda make me queezy. No rist and perfectly straight. I have some pop out windows, but i can not find the rubbers anywhere. I know Tim was going to try and get some made but I don't think he has been successful. Anybodu know where to get them??

what rubbers are you needing for your windows? I cant remember how close they are to my chevy pop outs, but I found some really good seals that work awesome on them. might work on your stuff too.

Oh man I hope, pop out windows would make a world of difference. Let me know where you got them and I'll try them out.
    Thanks,
    Vantastic
    Vantastic

Post by Vantastic Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:02 pm

Sy Hollinshead wrote:I fitted one on mine, as the travelwagon camper roof was destroyed on the way over to the UK from the USA. It is not an easy job though, the strengthening ribs that run along the length of the roof make life very difficult....!!

Thinking of a rag top IMG_0748

Thinking of a rag top IMG_06791

You can see in this last photo that i had to weld in a section of flat metal to create a water tight front edge. A lot of welding went into joining the flat section with the original ribbed section. It was very tricky, but the finished result looks lovely, even if nobody can see it from the ground...!!!

Thinking of a rag top IMG_06761

Driving it at any sort of speed with the roof open is eventful to say the least, i tend to  leave mine closed when on the move.
    Not sure i would do it to a van with a good solid roof, you could get aircon fitted for the price of a good ragtop...

Good information thanks,
    If I can find those rubbers for the windows that would be the perfect fix. I really don't want to cut the roof. It is perfect.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:47 am