VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+7
Seth G
Space Truckin
GMman
michael swann
donivan65
dougtappan
Twinpilot001
11 posters

Emergency/parking brake cable question

gfleduc
    gfleduc

Number of posts : 368
    Registration date : 2015-09-19

Emergency/parking brake cable question - Page 2 Empty Brake cable - length shortner

Post by gfleduc Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:10 am

[quote=...One of the kinks must have relaxed and popped, so now I can't adjust the bolt enough to take up the slack. [/quote]

The auto parts stores have cable "cheater" parts that take "extra" length out of the cable.  The one's I have seen are triangle shape. They attach onto the cable, a bolt is screwed in 90° to the cable run to take out some length...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Emergency/parking brake cable question - Page 2 Empty Re: Emergency/parking brake cable question

Post by donivan65 Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:30 pm

The parking brake should be on when the arm is 1/2 way forward in the slot,,,,,,if it is not, then either the rear shoes are worn out or out of adjustment or you have the pull arm pin in the wrong hole,,,,,is that part of your parking brake system correct?

Emergency/parking brake cable question - Page 2 Dscn0523
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Emergency/parking brake cable question - Page 2 Empty Re: Emergency/parking brake cable question

Post by donivan65 Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:03 pm

The 2 front cable plastic guide wheels aint busted,,,are they?

Emergency/parking brake cable question - Page 2 Dscn0524

Emergency/parking brake cable question - Page 2 Dscn0610
    Andyt
    Andyt

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2013-06-06

Post by Andyt Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:22 pm

I stared at your pics for 10 minutes just marveling at how clean that undercarriage is. Sheesh.

I re-did the rear brakes last year, but had to park it for a while before getting back in it recently. The brakes works great, but now I'm wondering if something got out of adjustment w/ the cable.. though not sure what or how.

Re. wheels, will have a look tomorrow. Sounds like the cheater part may be a good backup.

Thanks guys!
    gfleduc
    gfleduc

Number of posts : 368
    Registration date : 2015-09-19

Post by gfleduc Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:53 am

Here is a photo of the cheater cable "shortener"
    Emergency/parking brake cable question - Page 2 Img_0910
    Andyt
    Andyt

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2013-06-06

Post by Andyt Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:51 am

Got it - I must have not adjusted the shoes enough when I did the brakes last year. Amazing what a difference a couple clicks made!

Roller looks good - all adjusted up.

Thanks donivan & all!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 8:04 pm