VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Electric Fan Overkill ?

stanyon
    stanyon

Number of posts : 147
    Registration date : 2013-08-29

Electric Fan Overkill ? Empty Electric Fan Overkill ?

Post by stanyon Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:08 pm

After some clarification on what I was looking for I picked up a three wire electric fan and the 135 amp. alternator off a 93 Sable Wagon. Got back to the shop and hooked up some leads to test the fan with, Worked great on both Hi & Low , But is there really a need for that much air, I guess I am concerned about the battery consumption. From the little research I have done it is rated at 2,800 CFM on low and 5,600 CFM on hi.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Electric Fan Overkill ? Empty Re: Electric Fan Overkill ?

Post by Big W Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:14 pm

I guess it boils down to (no pun intended...lol) How hot your daily temps get and how much traffic you need to drive in. Also are you running the 6 or a V8.  Up here in the great white north, our temps don't get as hot up here like they do in California. I guess it's better to have to much then not enough...that's just my take on it. I have a 350 inside that little dog house with side panel mods to help get that hot air moving. With a temp sensor on the fan...It will cut in when it needs to. Sounds like you have the same fan I have, which came from the wagon as well. Early 90's...The main thing is to get that air moving through that dog house to help keep things cool. I think with a temp sensor on your fan....you will like this set up. Great score on that Alt as well....jm2c.
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:59 pm

If you use the bigger alt you wont have any battery issues and you will never have to worry about overheating. I ran this setup in a 289 powered econoline pick up in florida and it worked well. using the same setup in a van im building now.
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by Casimier Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:30 am

hey Stanyon

just make sure you put your fan relays in a cool spot and not near the top of the radiator.

Jim in NJ aka Casimier
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:08 pm

THAT is why I have been yacking so long about simply using a 3G alternator. Our trucks were never intended to use any wheres the juice we use in them now.
    I suppose people forget easily, but the 3G puts out 90 amps at 600 rpm and comes in two or three top end amperage outputs. From the standard 135 to 150 and 200. Its a bolt in, no brainer, has a piggy back regulator which means you can wire that into our truck and dump the stupid one in front of the radiator. Just because you use a better alternator doesn't mean you are using the full output of it unless its needed.
    If whatever load you put on the stock alternator lowers the voltage from 14.2 down, it will degrade your batteries charge AND the battery. A CAR type battery is NOT meant to be drained and re charged continually and you need the 14.2 in order to charge a 12 volt battery....
    Wouldn't it make more sense to have more cooling than you need and let the thermostat do its job also???? That way you would have the extra cooling when you need it. Why is it that when the boat is sinking the owner decides he should have put in a bigger bilge pump.... LOL
    Old Skool

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 9:20 am