VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Harmonic Balancer Question

Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Harmonic Balancer  Question Empty Harmonic Balancer Question

Post by Vantasia Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:45 am

I removed my radiator to get it boiled out or worst case re-cored, depending on what local shop I found says.  With the radiator out, I figure its a good time to clean the crud off the front of the engine and harmonic balancer.  The balancer was so caked with grease and grime that the spokes were filled solid and all the holes were invisible.  So I scrape and vacuum it out an get it all nice and clean and the rubber damper looks to be it great shape.  During the cleaning, a long thin piece of rubber strip pulls out from behind the spokes of the balancer.  My first thought was oh shit, I just pulled the timing cover seal out for the crankshaft!  But then I looked in the 1963 Truck manual diagram for the front of the L6 engine and only see the main seal and timing cover gaskets, nothing like what I pulled out.  Close inspection of it makes me think it was a piece of an old fan belt that got twisted around the pulley, the more I look at it, the more it looks like an old belt backing.  Here are the pictures, it was wrapped around the hub of the pulley behind the spokes.  I need an expert, (Doni, Kooky?) to tell me if there was some sort of seal for the timing cover behind the pulley or is just what I thought it was, an old belt scrap?  There is no leaking from this area of the engine.  Thanks. BTW, my radiator is stamped Harrison on the tanks and I found out by Google that this was a division of GM like Delco that made their radiators so I know its an original GM.  When I drained the radiator, I could see inside that more than half the tubes still held coolant to the top, so they are clogged!
    Harmonic Balancer  Question Gedc1414
    Balancer all cleaned up
    Harmonic Balancer  Question Gedc1415
    twisted and torn gasket/belt thing that was jammed behind spokes of balancer??
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Harmonic Balancer  Question Empty Re: Harmonic Balancer Question

Post by donivan65 Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:54 am

looks like an old piece of belt that bought the farm,,,,,,,,,,,
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:28 am

belt!! yet= might change the timing cover seal now!! cheers
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:14 am

Twinpilot001 wrote:belt!! yet= might change the  timing cover seal now!! cheers
    It doesn't leak and I don't want to mess with pulling the balancer, its spins true as can be, no wobble and the rubber is tight, leave a sleeping dog lay....I dropped the radiator at an old school repair shop for boiling, can't wait to get it back cleaned and un-clogged. Removing it was pretty easy job, the four bolts came out easy with some PB Blaster and it was easy to reach all 4 with hand wrenches. Didn't have to raise van either, dropped right out with clearance to spare.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 7:19 am