VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
RodStRace
Twinpilot001
rustytoolss
dominicsitalian
8 posters

Cheapest away to lower a 69 A100?

Poll

lowering?

[ 1 ]
    Cheapest away to lower a 69 A100? I_vote_lcap100%Cheapest away to lower a 69 A100? I_vote_rcap [100%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Cheapest away to lower a 69 A100? I_vote_lcap0%Cheapest away to lower a 69 A100? I_vote_rcap [0%] 

Total Votes: 1
    Poll closed
    dominicsitalian

Number of posts : 15
    Registration date : 2014-06-04

Cheapest away to lower a 69 A100? Empty Cheapest away to lower a 69 A100?

Post by dominicsitalian Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:43 pm

can you flip the axles over the springs and pick up 2-3"'s?
    Safe?
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

Cheapest away to lower a 69 A100? Empty Re: Cheapest away to lower a 69 A100?

Post by rustytoolss Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:51 am

Let the air out of the tires!..... Sorry , I could not resist
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:10 am

Thats it =Rusty!! cheers cheers cheers lol! lol! lol!
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:11 am

Fill inside with stuff you find in an alley, or shovel dirt in. Both FREE!

If you spend a little time looking through posts here you will find that you are not the first person to wonder about this, and that others have tried various means to lower vans before and reported the results.

Go to the top right side and click on the Search button.
    Type "lowering" into the first box. You will get 26 results.

Also, "Cheapest" is almost always not "Best". And your 2 choices are Lowering (huh?) and Air Bags (Not Cheap!).

Air Bags search gets 4 results (ignore one).
    Air Ride search gets many more results.

Lots of info for you. If you reply in one of the current threads, all the info will remain in a single thread or two, instead of a little info in many threads. This makes it easier for the next person who looks for the info.

Dantra
    Dantra

Number of posts : 293
    Registration date : 2009-08-31

Post by Dantra Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:11 pm

I agree with rod to some extent but too many times that's the standard reply on alot of forums. Its nice to post for fresh ideas or some input from someone that maybe didn't see one of the previous threads. I see that Rod also mentions replying to an old thread to revive it. That work great as well. Search is a great option but don't limit yourself to just this forum... Google and Bing the hell out of it as well.

From everything that I have read in the past, your best options are to check into re-arched, remove a few springs or to bag that beast. Flipping the axle will cause bump steer issues. I'm pretty sure that at one time, drop axles were a thing with the straight axle cars... not sure if that art still exists.

The cheapest is a no brainer.. bags equal a whole lotta cash

Post by Guest Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:05 am

RodStRace wrote:If you spend a little time looking through posts here you will find that you are not the first person to wonder about this, and that others have tried various means to lower vans before and reported the results.

Thank you! Why is it people are so lazy and looking for the instant gratification instead of doing a little homework and asking what questions are needed later???????????????????
    Are people REALLY that lazy and stupid???????????????????????????????????????????
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:45 pm

REALLY???? You live on the left coast, and you ask if people are that stupid ? Just look around !!!!
    Dantra
    Dantra

Post by Dantra Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:36 am

69A100 wrote:
    RodStRace wrote:If you spend a little time looking through posts here you will find that you are not the first person to wonder about this, and that others have tried various means to lower vans before and reported the results.

Thank you! Why is it people are so lazy and looking for the instant gratification instead of doing a little homework and asking what questions are needed later???????????????????
    Are people REALLY that lazy and stupid???????????????????????????????????????????

This is exactly the "standard reply" that I was referring too... Rod handled it tastefully, in which you did not. Its replies like that , that push people away from a site. Kinda pointless.

On a side note... there is a company (droppedaxle.com) that does dropped axles. The topic had me curious if anyone still did it. Its a about $350 for 2" to do an A
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:36 pm

Here is a link that while generic, covers the basics.
    Note that all these earlies have leaf spring suspension front and rear.

http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/basic-lowering.html

The site also has a LOT of other articles to cover basic modifications.
    The ones I've read are a good source to get the basics down so you can then figure out what you need to figure out on your own specific vehicle.

NOTE that this will not answer exactly what you need to do the job (part numbers, prices, who sells it, how to install). Even if all of this was supplied for a van, YOUR van will probably be different in some way, and you would still have to figure out what to do to finish the job. Better to understand the whole thing and be able to come up with the best solution for your needs.

If you do a job on your van that others may need to do also and you figured out a good way to get it done, by all means, write it up, take some pictures and post it in This Is How It's Done.

dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:08 pm

I would call these guys .
    but i do not think the axles shown are a100 opposed to the regular
    dodge pick up. i still have one more coming your way

http://www.droppedaxles.com/DODGE_AXLES.html
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:24 pm

This one will take research on your part ,
    I have read that the drop spindles measurements all work,
    but i'd get both specs and compare then call speedway supply.
    I do not know any one who tried these yet on a dodge.
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-1928-1948-Ford-Forged-Spindles-Only,3303.html
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:33 pm

I am not saying they don't exist, but I have NEVER seen or heard about DROPPED SPINDLES for a straight axle. The common way to lower a straight axle is to 'drop' the axle. This is raising the end of the axle in relation to the spring mount area.

Dropped spindles are commonly for vehicles with balljoints, where the spindle is taller than a couple inches. The spindle has enough of a height to allow a different placement between the top and bottom.
    EXAMPLE on left, the spindle is higher between the top and bottom than the stock one on the right.
    Cheapest away to lower a 69 A100? Prdp_708

Another EXAMPLE
    Cheapest away to lower a 69 A100? 212-420x269

There isn't enough room to move the spindle up and still keep it within the same area as the end of the axle.
    Here is an Econoline axle and spindle. If the spindle was moved up two inches, it would be at or above the upper bushing. The Chevy and Dodge are the same.

Cheapest away to lower a 69 A100? 1424556364_e6dd34830b_z
    Dantra
    Dantra

Post by Dantra Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:03 am

dix wrote:I would call these guys .
    but i do not think the axles shown are a100 opposed to the regular
    dodge pick up. i still have one more coming your way

http://www.droppedaxles.com/DODGE_AXLES.html
    yep, this is the site that I mentioned a few posts up. They can do A axles and they said they are a Pita and don't like to do them ... something to do with the camber that's built into them. You have to ship them your old axle and the most they can squeeze out is a 2" drop. $350

The topic has me back in the mood to drop Hoopty, so I've been searching and reading more. Some members on this forum have seemed to have success with the axle flip and others have not. There's one member that has been kind enough to share some info with me PMs and offer some Fab parts help... I'll let him chime in if he wants... so I'm  edging closer to trying the axle flip myself .. still a little uncertain.

Last edited by Dantra on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:16 am

I have no doubt your right rod, that is why i stated he had a lot of home work.
    i think the ford drop spindles were from a straight axle, the 1st site has a adaptor for the balljoint,
    but this is to much engineering for me,

Number of posts : 39
    Registration date : 2014-05-26

Cheapest away to lower a 69 A100? Empty lowwwwer

Post by mohawk64 Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:51 am

look at the green swed :-) build thread

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 7:31 pm