VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
G-Man
dodge man
RodStRace
7 posters

Newbie needs to know best way to lower a '68 on the cheap

Newbie needs to know best way to lower a '68 on the cheap Empty Newbie needs to know best way to lower a '68 on the cheap

Post by Guest Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:05 pm

I'm a newbie here... I just bought a bone stock '68 sportsman. The 8 window, 318 powered, bone stock kind. My plan is to lower it, slap some cragars or radir rims on it, do it '70's style. Anyone have some suggestions on the best way to lower it, cheaply, and maybe get a little rake to it?
    Bonus question: suggestions for what's the best tire size to go with? It's gonna be a daily driver/bike, parts hauler.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Newbie needs to know best way to lower a '68 on the cheap Empty Re: Newbie needs to know best way to lower a '68 on the cheap

Post by RodStRace Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:33 am

Welcome TRD!
    Both questions are common, take a look at other threads here for answers and pics to help you decide how to lower and for wheel/tire sizes.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Newbie needs to know best way to lower a '68 on the cheap Empty Re: Newbie needs to know best way to lower a '68 on the cheap

Post by dodge man Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:49 am

welcome to VV, i lowered mine by removeing 2 leaves from each spring, and i'm running 14'' tires, gives it a nice stance, or if you want it slamed you can do a axle flip.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:56 am

Welcome!!! If you go cheap you may lose handling and ride
    pittsdriver
    pittsdriver

Number of posts : 335
    Registration date : 2010-08-12

Post by pittsdriver Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:32 pm

In all my years of building and restoring airplanes and cars I have found cheap = twice as expensive down the road. Slow down, take your time and save the money to do it right. By the way in the late 60s early 70s we didn't lower our vans but usually had a slight tail high rake. Don

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:15 pm

Thanks for the welcomes, guys. And for the insight. I've been wrenching on cars my entire life. I've been a member of the Road Devils car club for close to 10 years. Check us out if you want. We've got chapters all over, and military combat experienced chapter. I've only owned one car that was built after 1968, the rest have been between '48 and this van. I know cheap isn't the wisest way to go for handling, but I live in Austin. Some of the worst, slowest traffic in the country. As long as it goes somewhat straight and stops, I'm good. It's gonna be more for daily driving around town. I usually ride my shovelhead when I go out and have a company work truck I get to keep at home.I may go with taking out a few front springs and maybe one in the rear. I've read that there are certain leaves to remove when lowering. Is that true? Because the internet said so.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:11 am

Third and 5th in front is the published wisdom.
    Member Austinmodhouse is there too.
    You also have Austin Speed Shop there, they can do things with your springs.
    Good to hear that you have a strong auto background.

Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:18 am

Take the rims and tires off. Done. ;D
    pittsdriver
    pittsdriver

Number of posts : 335
    Registration date : 2010-08-12

Post by pittsdriver Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:20 am

Four space saver spares! Very Happy
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:32 am

on a side note, be careful of the pinion>driveshaft angle when you start adjusting the stance. They are pretty sensitive to incorrect angles and it will eat the rear ujoint if it isnt right. I think <6 degrees is the desired range.

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:19 pm

I'm gonna go with pulling a leaf or two and see how it goes.I can always put them back. I live a few blocks down the street from Austin Speed Shop. Pass it about 6 times a day. There's about 4 hot rod shops within a mile of me.I'll be mindful of the shaft angle. I don't like fixing or replacing things like that. I have a habit of getting one thing how I want and screwing something else up.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:13 am

TexasRoadDevil wrote: I have a habit of getting one thing how I want and screwing something else up.

Oh, you will fit right in here! Laughing
    supernaut
    supernaut

Number of posts : 73
    Registration date : 2012-10-15

Post by supernaut Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:24 pm

oh snap! was that van in Houston? If so, it was a toss up between that one and the van that i bought. glad someone got it and is planning on making it awesome.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:22 am