VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
donivan65
FezFro
6 posters

fuel pump location

FezFro
    FezFro

Number of posts : 17
    Registration date : 2013-08-24

fuel pump location Empty fuel pump location

Post by FezFro Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:48 pm

Hi friends. Happy holidays to all!
    Ive a 1969 a108 with the 318 engine in ot. Had it running fine till one day it wont drive.Turned out to be the transmission needed a rebuild. Took it to a shop and got that out of the way. Now it won't start. I've been told from the shop that they took it on a short test drive after the tranny rebuild and it was fine. Then all of the sudden it won't start. They said they check the fuel pressure and there was none. So I'm assuming it maybe the fuel pump. The previous owner installed a manual switch (a cut off switch) for the fuel pump (which is electric), as a safety feature I suppose. Anyway, I'm not familiar with these vintage bad boys much. I've worked on motorcycles before. Since the van has a lot more components than a bike, thought I'd ask before I start tearing it down and may be looking into the wrong direction.
    Tl;dr: where are some usual location to mount a fuel pump on a108s? From the situation described above, can you think of any other reason to why it won't start?

Thank you,

Last edited by FezFro on Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

fuel pump location Empty Re: fuel pump location

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:55 pm

The van came with a manual fuel pump which if you follow the fuel line back from the carburetor will go into it,,,,,,now if they converted the fuel pump to electric,,,,,then you need to find it by tracing the wires from the cut off switch and see if it has power to it or clicks when you turn it on,,,,,,,and #1 suspect is,,,,, fuel gauge lies and you aint got no gas in the tank,,,,,,
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:21 pm

doni is =Correct! ill add where to mount an elect pump- as near the fuel tank aspossible & basically below the fuel level in tank!! Why an electric? maybe cause previous owner didnt want to replace the mechanical pump when bad ??if it is bad -replace it!! !! Yet check fuel level & elect pump for operations?
    FezFro
    FezFro

Post by FezFro Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:34 pm

Hi there. Thank you for your inputs. I've replaced a fuel pump on another car before (2002gmc), and the FP was located inside the fuel tank itself, so I had to drop the tank to access it. It would've been a much easier of a job if I had another person helping me. Anyway, my van has less than 8" clearance from the ground (previous owner work). I'll take a look underneath it tomorrow morning, even though my head won't fit under it. And yes, it's electric (I used to hear it as soon as I flick the cut off switch, but not any more), and what i meant by a manual switch is a cut off switch. I'll post an update if I found out something else. Thanks again, friends.
    Does anyone have a diagrams of the carbs? I'd love to see it, since I'm planning on cleaning them soon.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:47 am

look for a blown fuse 1st, located under the dash , sitting in the drivers seat under the dash in front of your left knee. electric fuel pumps work better pushing fuel opposed to sucking fuel. start at the fuel tank on the passenger side and follow it under the van.toward the alternator, . also should be a filter under the van below the front passenger seat...
    FezFro
    FezFro

Post by FezFro Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:02 am

Found it l and replaced it. Thank you all for the helpful inputs.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:52 am

FezFro wrote:Does anyone have a diagrams of the carbs? I'd love to see it, since I'm planning on cleaning them soon.

Carb, as in single.
    Stock is probably a Carter BBD 2 bbl.
    Here is a link
    http://www.geocities.ws/rsosborne/carter.html

Note that this is a later model with a bowl vent valve and idle mixture caps, but the basic carb is the same.
    If you buy a rebuild kit, it will have a sheet that shows the same thing.
    If you have a different carb, you can find the right diagram by searching google (or Bing) images for it just like this
    "exploded view of carter bbd"

Here is a You tube of a guy fixing a BBD.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqmTjk8alPo

I did a quick look at it, didn't watch the whole thing.
    I would suggest that if you are going to repair a carb, remove it whole from the engine and work on it on the bench. There are some small parts that can get lost or fall into the engine when working on the engine. Once you know the exact carb you are working on and have done it a few times, go ahead and do it as shown if you are comfortable doing so.

The BBD is probably one of the simplest carbs to rebuild. They often only need a good cleaning of the bowl and blowing out the jets in place.

Use 2 wrenches to remove the fuel line. Don't just try to unscrew the line from the inlet/seat.

Always replace the fuel filter too. Best is a metal can type. DO NOT use the clear glass tube style, they are restrictive and dangerous because they often leak and can break.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CO95SC/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000CO7CZK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1547VQ1F7FF9N0S6H6JY

slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:45 am

yep, a BBD rebuild kit is about $8. very easy to do.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 5:20 pm