VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+15
Jay 13
vanny
morbank
uante
dix
Digz
m1dadio
Joe Van
Big W
65-G10-guy
donivan65
jimthefred
Space Truckin
Vanish
Moggy
19 posters

Proud new owner

Moggy
    Moggy

Number of posts : 17
    Registration date : 2014-12-25

Proud new owner - Page 2 Empty Re: Proud new owner

Post by Moggy Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:05 pm

Thanks to all for the nice comments, I love driving it and feel very lucky, also how I got it was an interesting story.
    I am wondering about the disc brake conversion, does anyone do a kit? what are the costs and benefits, also what are your thoughts on proportioning valves?

Proud new owner - Page 2 Img_0212

Proud new owner - Page 2 Img_0213
    diamond dave
    diamond dave

Number of posts : 565
    Registration date : 2012-04-24

Post by diamond dave Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:53 pm

nice looking ride and bike. welcome to the site.
    65-G10-guy
    65-G10-guy

Number of posts : 110
    Registration date : 2012-11-16

Post by 65-G10-guy Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:32 pm

Hi Moggy, I used the brackets sold by M1D ( a member here).  His brackets will include detailed instructions and a list of off the shelf parts you can get at any good parts supplier.  I don't remember total cost but they work great and not crashing is priceless. Great instructions and good results. No surprises.  I also recommend replacing every hydraulic item in the system especially the hard lines. They are 50 years old and brake fluid attracts moisture which creates rust.  First of all I'm worth it and secondly the van is worth it.  Happy Motoring
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:49 am

Nice van, I'm kinda partial to a white van! Welcome...does that winch move out of the way to get to the battery cover off?  Ditto on the tiny wheel, Mooneyes and others make 15" ones that should fit that same mount ya got....
    Proud new owner - Page 2 08041412
    My roof was rusty when I got it, a few rattle cans of gloss white Rustoleum will get you by, you can't see it that close from the street anyway, that's how I did mine....ditto on the brakes, mine are re-done originals, OK for local cruising, light hauling but go for the discs hauling bikes and a lot of highway driving, and watch these babies on wet roads, they will fish tail easy, even with the rear weight, I just smile and wave at everyone who passes me, no rush in a 50 year old!  BTW, my '64 has that same counterweight shown plus with a 3/4" plywood floor and interior paneling that adds at least another 100 pounds all the time and it seems solid riding, but I'm not jacked up and have a lighter 194 six up front and 26" diameter tires all around, 195R15/75 front, 215R15/70 rear, good combo.  Have? or get new shocks, Napa has exact replacements listed.  Lowe's carpet runner makes a nice cheap front floor mat, comes on a roll and is the perfect width. Get 6 feet! Psst...get a spare tire...(or is it out for the pics?) it mounts on the wall above the right rear wheel well, there should be a threaded hole on the rib for the tie down bolt.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:20 am

BTW, I'm in my 60's too and like how you termed yourself as "caretaker" of this van!  I like to think that way too, I mean I can't see me driving this thing forever and want to restore/preserve it for the next owner if and when I decide its time with me is over....I doubt it will be scrapped at this point in its life.....good luck with it...
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:34 am

Welcome =Moggy-nice save on the van - WOW!! a Norton commando too- lucky u. 750cc id guess?or a later one =750cc?? Happy Vannin!! cheers
    Chevboner
    Chevboner

Number of posts : 209
    Registration date : 2012-09-15

Post by Chevboner Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:41 pm

Hows this for a weight, 3x3 foot 1" thick slab of pure american steel.Proud new owner - Page 2 Img_5612
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:17 pm

That would make a nice jig/welding/bang table !
    Moggy
    Moggy

Number of posts : 17
    Registration date : 2014-12-25

Post by Moggy Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:17 pm

Checked the rear brakes, the shoes and drums are new, however the shoes were on backwards with the large shoe to the front.
    Fixed this, and although the rear can still lock up the overall braking is much more progressive and controllable.
    The front shoes are on correctly.
    As to the steering wheel the small one is usable if you don't turn it while stopped, if the van is moving it's not bad, a 15 1/2 would look and be. much better.
    As to the gauges, it does have oil pressure, water temp and battery voltage but they are on a silly little wooden panel under the dash.
    I am going to fabricate a cowl that will sit on top of the dash with these and a small tach, with the faces angled toward the driver

Moggy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:50 am