VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Horn Switch removal

rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

Horn Switch removal Empty Horn Switch removal

Post by rustytoolss Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:31 pm

The horn is not working on my 64. I checked the switch in the wheel, and its good. The problem seems to be in the turn signal switch. But The 3 small phillps screws that retain the horn switch are very tight, and small. I'm afraid to pound on those 3 screws, to remove the horn switch from the column , so that I can get to the turn signal switch.
    Right now I have a cheap horn button switch to operate the horn. But would like to make it work correctly.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Horn Switch removal Empty Re: Horn Switch removal

Post by rustytoolss Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:11 pm

Well I got it apart. Had to use a diamond point chisel and tap the screws around (heads were stripped). I found the horn wheel on the TS switch was broken. The plastic portion of the horn wheel was broke. I epoxied the plastic parts together. Fingers crossed.
    sweetvan
    sweetvan

Number of posts : 242
    Registration date : 2013-12-16

Post by sweetvan Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:50 am

Rustytools,
    How's it going? I have the same problems on my '65, automatic : no horn and turn signal lever is loose. Can you tell me how to remove the A100 steering wheel? I have taken off the button and unscrewed the three small screws and unplugged the horn wire.
    Thanks, Sweetvan
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:43 am

To remove the steering wheel. remove the large nut in the center, holding the wheel in place. Then you will need a steering wheel puller or a damper puller (harbor freight) and 2/3 long bolts That will thread into the 2/3 threaded holes in the steering wheel (near the center nut area. Then just use the puller with a wrench, to remove the wheel..Hope this helps.
    sweetvan
    sweetvan

Post by sweetvan Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:29 am

Rusty,
    I couldn't get it loose. I just damaged the threaded shaft that the large nut came off of. There's got to be an easier way to get the steering wheel off. Does the plate have to be turned?
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:32 pm

To be honest, I've never had much of a problem removing a steering wheel with a puller. I've seen guys just hit the underside of the wheel with a hammer to remove them. May put some pressure on the puller and smack the underside with a mallet/ or plastic covered hammer.... But be careful not to crack the plastic of the steering wheel. Maybe someone else can chime in here to give some more help.. good luck
    sweetvan
    sweetvan

Post by sweetvan Fri May 01, 2015 7:53 am

I started a thread, "A100 steering wheel removal".
    Thanks, Sweetvan
    sweetvan
    sweetvan

Post by sweetvan Mon May 04, 2015 7:38 am

Rusty,
    What did you wind up doing for a horn switch? Did you replace the steering wheel too? Did you see any with a horn button and a turn signal switch?
    I'm still working on fixing mine but may just leave the old wheel on and go with after market horn and turn signal switches.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Tue May 05, 2015 4:11 pm

I'm still using the stock steering wheel. I am also using the stock turn signal switch. As for the horn switch, I'm using a cheap horn button (mounted on the columm brace bolts. You can find horn switches (OEM NOS ) on ebay, for not to much money. You can also find (OEM NOS) turn signal switches on ebay...$100-200. big bucks.
    sweetvan
    sweetvan

Post by sweetvan Fri May 08, 2015 9:35 am

I got the steering wheel off ok using a puller with a cupped tip instead of the pointed one that split the shaft. The horn wire was broken at the spring loaded contact that touches the underside of the steering wheel ring. I reconnected that with a crimped butt connector.
    Also, with WD-40, I cleaned up the turn signal switch that is underneath the steering wheel and tightened loose screws.
    Now I have to re-thread the top of the steering wheel shaft. If I don't ruin anything, I can re-use the stock wheel, horn and turn signal switches.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri May 08, 2015 12:33 pm

always best to install some shrink tubing 1st =then solder the wires & then shrink the tubing over the solder joint- eliminates the butt connector from coming loose or chafing on the inside & causing further problems.
    sweetvan
    sweetvan

Post by sweetvan Mon May 11, 2015 8:04 am

I re-tapped the top 1/2 of the shaft and re-assembled the steering wheel. The horn switch tested ok when shorted to ground before assembly, but is spotty when I rotate the wheel, even though I cleaned the contact and the under-side ring well.  I'm wondering if a new 15" wheel and adapter will solve that problem?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 7:11 am