VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
G-Man
crazee
6 posters

Which would you say is better - Econolines or A100's?

Which would you say is better - Econolines or A100's? Empty Which would you say is better - Econolines or A100's?

Post by Guest Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:40 pm

Hello,
    I'm new to this site, but have been looking for a vintage van for a while - I'm torn between the 60's Econolines and the A100/108s. I've had both vintage Ford and Dodge/Plymouth cars before and was just wondering what those of you "in the know" would say I should look for or avoid in either -
    I'm sure the Chevy vans also have their merit, but I've never had a Chevy so I'd rather stay with the devil I know.

Also, any lines on vans that are available in the SF Bay area would be greatly appreciated - my budget started out being about $1500, but I've sweet talked the wife into agreeing to let me spend more if it's "cute".

All the Best,
    the Irish Giant

Which would you say is better - Econolines or A100's? Empty Re: Which would you say is better - Econolines or A100's?

Post by Guest Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:24 pm

I don't think that either one is better than the other. They're both awesome vans. It all depends on which one YOU like better. I personally like the body lines on the A100s, but I like the headlight grills on the econolines. But I have a GMC. As far as build quality goes, they're both pretty good, but they're also over fourty years old so they will both have their problems at some point. Like I said, it all comes down to what you want. There are plenty of A100 and econoline guys on here, and they could all tell you why they love their van more than any other van, but they all share a love for the vintage vans lifestyle. I hope you find the van your looking for. Keep us updated, and welcome to the site! Happy St. Patty's Day!

-Ryan

Which would you say is better - Econolines or A100's? Empty Re: Which would you say is better - Econolines or A100's?

Post by Guest Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:27 am

I'm an A-100 guy, but I do like the lines of the Econolines as well. Maybe someday I'll get one. The early vans are basically all laid out the same.

A wide range of parts are still available for both the A-vans and the E-vans.

One thing I do like about the A-vans over the Ford is that the Dodges had a factory V8 option whereas Ford did not, but plenty of folks have put V8's into their E-vans. Also the A-vans had the largest brakes as well. But there again..lots of people put disc brake kits on their earlies. So it all depends on what you like.
    crazee

Number of posts : 331
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

Post by crazee Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:41 am

ECONOLINE is my choice HANDS DOWN! ---> IN A FLAT FRONT van..........

And I am a Chevy man too!

Chevy van is my second choice................except it's my first choice from 1969 to 1976. I don't do vans made after 1976 personally.

DODGE????????...........naw!.......never wanted one.
    Razz
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:19 am

I think they all have there pro's and con's. I personnally would have one of each if I could, but found my Chevy's first. I know this is a chioce between A100's and Econoline's, but if your going to built a V8 cost wise Chevy's are the best chioce because the cost for HP parts is must cheaper

Post by Guest Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:27 pm

Heres an econo in the Bay area. Maybe more work than your looking for?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/1072572513.html

Post by Guest Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:36 am

My first van was an A100 and I loved it but when I got my first early Econo I got hooked and have owned them ever since. I am restoring a 65 Econo. Econos are very easy to work on but often under powered so you are always looking for ways to get that extra power like a V8 swap but with our economy the way it is I think building the inline six is the better way to go. You can get the power of a V8 and still get great mileage I almost doubled the power of my 200 inline six and still get approx.26 miles per gallon and freeway speeds up to 80mph are easy with it. Of course when I get the rest of the mods I want done it will have 300hp and 450 pounds of torque with throttle body injection. The only thing I liked better about my A100 was it came with a V8 and an auto tranny. I want to build two maybe three more vans, a 21 window Volkswagen that my wife has always wanted, a no door Econo or a no door A108
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:16 pm

There all good. Whatever floats your boat. Like G-Man said they all have issues, they all all great to own. Find whatever you can, stick with what you know it's all up to you.....

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Which would you say is better - Econolines or A100's? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:19 pm

'
    I would agree with the above. They are all similar in layout, design, and build quality. The decision really comes down to which body style you like best of the three brands.

Jay
    oo3

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by oo3 Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:50 am

i would probably let the condition dictate which one to go with - that is if you found a econo with a good no rust body first, go with that - unless you are body work skilled - dont rush into this though - find the right one for you - oo3
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:34 pm

I had a 66 A 100 30 years ago that I had tricked out and camped my way in it from coast to coast. So when I went looking for another an A100 was all I wanted. Then I stumbled upon my Econo, which had issues but the body was perfect, so I bought it. Now I'm really glad I did. Expensive issues like body work aren't a problem. So I would agree that, all things considered, its better to find one in good condition than one specific brand. Unless you have your heart set on one, of course, but it doesn't sound like you do.

I personally like the Dash of the A100's the best of all three, but any of them can look awesome with a little work.
    wylee
    wylee

Number of posts : 917
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

Post by wylee Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:04 am

all my rides are mopar., but i loveem all. if i was rich, id have one of each. keep it simple, pick what you like....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:50 pm