VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

A100 vs. Econoline - your two cents.

A100 vs. Econoline - your two cents. Empty A100 vs. Econoline - your two cents.

Post by Guest Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:38 pm

Hello,
    I'm new to this site, but have been looking for a vintage van for a while - I'm torn between the 60's Econolines and the A100/108s. I've had both vintage Ford and Dodge/Plymouth cars before and was just wondering what those of you "in the know" would say I should look for or avoid in either -
    I'm sure the Chevy vans also have their merit, but I've never had a Chevy so I'd rather stay with the devil I know.

Also, any lines on vans that are available in the SF Bay area would be greatly appreciated - my budget started out being about $1500, but I've sweet talked the wife into agreeing to let me spend more if it's "cute".

All the Best,
    Irish Giant
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

A100 vs. Econoline - your two cents. Empty Re: A100 vs. Econoline - your two cents.

Post by jkr Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:14 pm

a comes before e so theres your answer Laughing Laughing ps: happy st paddys day
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

A100 vs. Econoline - your two cents. Empty Re: A100 vs. Econoline - your two cents.

Post by itruns Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:28 pm

Since you're on a budget, I'd say take whatever deal has the best value.

The A's could be had with a V8 and I believe had more manufactured with automatics than the Es. Latter model As had dual pot master cylinders. I don't know if the first generation Es had them.

The A108s had an extended wheelbase whereas the Es had the butt extended, but still had the same wheelbase. Both are unibody construction.

I like the looks of all 4 early models, but my A has a V8 (zoom zoom Twisted Evil)
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:24 pm

I'm a chevy guy here, but for the cost factor I think the econolines are the easiest to find parts for at a resonable price.. They all have high dollar items, but seem to be more of them for sale out there too.

Post by Guest Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:22 am

I like all early vans, but the A-vans have some advantages...

A-vans had larger GVW ratings, larger brakes, had a V8 option, etc.

It all depends on what you are looking for. The Fords are nice and so are the Dodges.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:13 pm

Welcome.

Only 1967 Econolines cam with Dual Master Cylinders... I'm upgrading my 64 soon. Mine also has 170cc |6 and Ford 3.03 tranny... but some automatics are out there.

My 68 A100 has a 225 \6 and A727 automatic... I think this was a pretty common config from the factory.

You should be familiar with both of these drivetrains. Maybe you should get one of each! Laughing

I don't think you could go wrong with either, though I am having more difficulty with the electrical on the A100... stupid ballast resistor and ammeter... the typical stuff if you've dealt with this before.

Good luck!
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:26 pm

i don't want to hilack this post but i will guarantee you the wiring on an early whatever is one hell of a lot easier to figure out than some of the new cars today. an example is a 2008 dodge charger : has about 30 modules communicating over the bus (wiring) transferring data to the main computers all about a hundred times a second or so. just break one wire and a light is on on the dash. i work for a dodge dealer so i see it all the time. its kinda nice to work on the old truck by times..
    thecruger
    thecruger

Number of posts : 205
    Registration date : 2008-11-27

Post by thecruger Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:08 pm

for me its the Dodge.. it's the only early that has nice distinct body lines down the side's where all others are just straight flat panels.. sorry Ford and Chevy guys .. Shocked . and you gotta luv the split windshield ...

Post by Guest Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:58 pm

I was in the market for an early Dodge/Chevy/Ford until yesterday. I looked at a few of either and finally settled on a 67 Dodge A100 van. I like the lines and the little pointy front. Plus mine has the 318/727 combo that I am familiar with and love. I got mine shipped from Detroit to Duluth, MN for not too much. If you go here: http://craigslist-tips.blogspot.com/2007/12/how-to-search-craigslist-multiple.html You can search ALL of craigslist at once. Quite a few in SoCal usually. GOOD LUCK and have fun!

Post by Guest Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:09 pm

I have owned both and for me it is the Econo, hands down. I must admit I would like to see what I can do with an A100 no door. But that will have to wait. Still working on my 65 Econo and when it is done my wife wants a 21 window VW

Post by Guest Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:04 am

when it is done my wife wants a 21 window VW

Cha-ching! I love those van but man o man do they bring in the cash. Why stop at 21 winders...go for 23! Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 18, 2024 1:19 am