VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+9
jimthefred
Magic Bus
diamond dave
Buzzard
67VanHelsing
Sy Hollinshead
vanny
Joe Van
Vantasia
13 posters

Local cruise night, made a good showing!

Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Local cruise night, made a good showing! Empty Local cruise night, made a good showing!

Post by Vantasia Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:58 am

A few pics of my van a local cruise night.  A big hit with many fascinated onlookers all night long saying it was the coolest vehicle there!
    Local cruise night, made a good showing! 10419410
    Local cruise night, made a good showing! 10501710
    Local cruise night, made a good showing! 10500410
    That be me posing with her...notice my current choice in wheels, new Cragar Chrome Soft 8's....running 195/65R 15 front, 215/60R 15 rear....everyone thinks my van is some sort of lunar spacecraft!
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Local cruise night, made a good showing! Empty Re: Local cruise night, made a good showing!

Post by Joe Van Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:18 pm

The Van looks "GREAT"..!!!.. cheers  ..I think people are sick of looking at the same camaro, chevells, and mustangs, at the show's theses day's and enjoy something different ....I get the same reaction and I draw more people than some of the high dollar car's do with my Early..I got a people choice trophe with over 125 cars and trucks a few weeks ago at one of our Saturday night cruizes... Very Happy ..

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Local cruise night, made a good showing! Empty Re: Local cruise night, made a good showing!

Post by vanny Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:07 pm

Glad to see you both getting some well deserved attention.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:17 pm

Nice job, more pics of those wheels needed....
    67VanHelsing
    67VanHelsing

Number of posts : 118
    Registration date : 2014-03-04

Post by 67VanHelsing Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:22 pm

It's a sweet van for sure!
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:47 pm

Here's couple of side shots with the wheels.  I was going to get Cragar S/S Classics or Am racing Torque Thrusts or similar, but seams like every car at a show and the majority of early vans have them.  I wanted something different and let's face it less costly, new Cragar 5-spokes and the like are over $200 each these days and I prefer to go with new wheels, these were only $77 each! new from Summit Racing.  I also considered Cragar smoothies but want more bling...Another factor is the cast wheels don't leave enough stud exposed for proper nut length, you really should change the studs to longer ones, something I didn't want to do.  These wheels are steel SUV/truck wheels rated at 2200 Lb.s each, cast car rims are only rated for 1500 lb., not that a fully loaded van weighs over 6000 lbs! but these are stronger.  I love the round hole look with a G-van, the wheels compliment the bugeye headlights and make the van look like a big Hot Wheels toy, they used they same wheel on several of them!  So here it is! (click 'em for full size)
    Local cruise night, made a good showing! Dsc02916
    Local cruise night, made a good showing! Dsc02917
    Local cruise night, made a good showing! Dsc02918
    Here is a recent pic of nearly finished front interior!  New Moon blue sparkle wheel installed, I two-toned the dash and door inserts to match.  Note the dealer installed 4-way flasher that came with my van that I have since come to find out is a very rare and expensive accessory item.  That's a Sun mini tach, just fits if you notch the bracket for the shifter rod.
    Local cruise night, made a good showing! Dsc02920
    Local cruise night, made a good showing! Dsc02919

Last edited by Vantasia on Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:49 pm

67VanHelsing wrote:It's a sweet van for sure!
    Thanks, put a lot of time and $$$ into it! I hope this gives some hope and inspiration to all those working on them!
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:50 pm

Sy Hollinshead wrote:Nice job, more pics of those wheels needed....

See post above! I've looked at lots of pics of your F van, those moon hubcaps look great with that color and van, very period 60's hot rod....
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:08 am

Vantasia wrote:A few pics of my van a local cruise night.  A big hit with many fascinated onlookers all night long saying it was the coolest vehicle there!
    Local cruise night, made a good showing! 10419410
    Local cruise night, made a good showing! 10501710
    Local cruise night, made a good showing! 10500410
    That be me posing with her...notice my current choice in wheels, new Cragar Chrome Soft 8's....running 195/65R 15 front, 215/60R 15 rear....everyone thinks my van is some sort of lunar spacecraft!

One more thing, the red '66 GTO next to me belongs to a buddy of mine. Its an unrestored survivor, other than an older repaint, a few rust spots and some seat tears. He has signs on the side that say "go ahead touch me, sit in me and kick the tires!" He gets a stream of young and old taking him up on his offer and getting behind the wheel and kids asking how to crank the windows up and down. He also gets complaints from all the "show" car owners who say he letting the public think its OK to touch and get in their "priceless" show cars all up and down the line! I think its a great policy, I let people get in the van if they ask and its done respectively...
    Buzzard
    Buzzard

Number of posts : 90
    Registration date : 2012-07-01

Post by Buzzard Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:42 pm

Funny you say that I had a dog jump into mine cause I have 2 of them. The guy next to me with his rag top camero just about had a heart attack when the dog did it, the guy with the dog told me he was sorry, I told him dont worry about it I have 2 dogs myself. With a smile told him, just make sure he doesnt lift a leg in there( Full size wire hair terrier) the guy just laughed
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:48 pm

Buzzard wrote:Funny you say that I had a dog jump into mine cause I have 2 of them. The guy next to me with his rag top camero just about had a heart attack when the dog did it, the guy with the dog told me he was sorry, I told  him dont worry about it I have 2 dogs myself. With a smile told him,  just make sure he doesnt lift a leg in there( Full size wire hair terrier) the guy just laughed

Now that's FUNNY!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    diamond dave
    diamond dave

Number of posts : 565
    Registration date : 2012-04-24

Post by diamond dave Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:51 pm

looks great!
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:58 pm

Looking mighty fine Vantasia
    jimthefred
    jimthefred

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2012-01-15

Post by jimthefred Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:24 am

Is that in Freehold?
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:52 pm

Home of the "Boss? "

Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:38 pm

jimthefred wrote:Is that in Freehold?
    No, Cranford's monthly downtown cruise, most NJ towns look the same....going to another this Friday in So. Plainfield!~
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:01 am

Thought I'd continue this showcase thread...finally completed the interior using a light grey silver oak paneling from Lowe's, some indoor outdoor carpet and a bunch of plastic trim.  Roof is plastic wainscot, also from Lowe's.  Roof is insulated with two layers of silver foil bubble foam, walls have a spun wool carpet underlay (previous owner installed with lots of glue so I left it)  Doors are filled with white fiberglass and floor has 3/4" plywood over a layer of bubble foil.  Coat hooks came from an old office coat pole, screws are mostly white coated screen door self drilling types.  Wheel wells, doghouse and fuel neck are covered with black carper used for speaker cabinets, glues on with spray glue.  Panel edges use plastic edging, I opted for angled cuts at the rounded corners, what else can you do?  I used a heavy 1/2" door edge guard where the paneling meets the wheel wells and front pillars, (Trick to this stuff is to heat it first under hot running water to soften it and it slips right onto the curves).  A previous owner paneled this van and cut away the rear corner curves that protect the tail lights from cargo damage, helps make a square interior, but removed support for spare so I added a bracket from an old generator wheel kit as a tire bump stop for the spare.  Spare tire is on a vintage 15 x 7 rally wheel with a plastic re-pro cap and new beauty ring to dress it up, may go to a vinyl tire cover, but this looks cooler.  Jack and accessories are stored in bins found at home center.  A few thoughts on paneling....I really like the look of clean painted exposed sheet metal interiors, but to do that you need a pristine body and a shop to do that kind of restoration.  My van was a good deal but the the interior had been done several times with many holes, the aforementioned hacking of the corner braces and all kinds of old glues and mastics on the interior surfaces, dents in the wheel wells and doghouse, even a few bullet holes!  (I was told a dairy farm owned this van) Lacking a shop, I opted to cover all the flaws with a paneled interior.  On the other hand, it captures the old school look of paneling which was the thing to do back in the day with these vans and I'm very pleased with the result!  And now onto the pictures!
    Local cruise night, made a good showing! Dsc03112
    Local cruise night, made a good showing! Dsc03113
    Local cruise night, made a good showing! Dsc03114
    Local cruise night, made a good showing! Dsc03115
    Old coat pole hooks, plastic grab handles:
    Local cruise night, made a good showing! Dsc03116
    Local cruise night, made a good showing! Dsc03117
    Tire support bracket
    Local cruise night, made a good showing! Dsc03118
    Speakers built in behind seats:
    Local cruise night, made a good showing! Dsc03119
    Original door straps re-used:
    Local cruise night, made a good showing! Dsc03120
    Hidden Battery Cover, small flap over finger holes for removal, barely noticeable:
    Local cruise night, made a good showing! Dsc03121
    Local cruise night, made a good showing! Dsc03122
    Front area, shown before but for any newbies:
    Local cruise night, made a good showing! Dsc03123
    Glovebox artwork matches exterior theme:
    Local cruise night, made a good showing! Dsc03210

So there you have it!  Now its on to the final mechanic issues, getting my radiator boiled out, replacing gas tank sender (have in hand, just need winter to end!) and a pro clutch job! Looking for good shops in my area, found one that always has old Vette's, 57' Chevys and muscle cars inside so I figure they can work on an old van!  Hope this gives others some ideas on how to do interior.  I may re-paint the exposed metal around the doors a light gray instead of the black, too much contrast with the paneling or does it compliment the black wheel wells and seats?  a few other thoughts, if you panel or add any kind of interior finish, the factory ribs are not wide enough to catch screws from both sides of a joint, I added some 2" x 3" "cleats" made of sheet metal screwed to the ribs first to provide screw points.  Also, I used small deck corner braces at the floor and rear corners to screw every thing together and make it removable should I ever need to service a light wire back there!  I did not opt for a hard built bed or cabinets as this van is being used a an equipment hauler for my musical act and light hauler for flea market finds.  Should I ever camp in it, a blow up double air mattress will suffice! another thing I noticed in pics, you can see my twin 4" speakers behind the grill opening for the front speakers of the radio. I made a baffle from a scrap of masonite. They sound fine, you don't need a lot of separation for stereo with the rear speakers and I have a Clarion powered sub under the drivers seat too! Good solution for where to put the front speakers without cutting holes in doors or adding under dash boxes...

Last edited by Vantasia on Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:21 am

I have to say...that turned out GREAT!!! Super clean and very usefull . Air mattress and an ice box and away ya go. Looking to redo do mine with paneling as well, as mine is full of glue on the sides and needs a good covering. Excellent work. cheers
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:23 am

Very Nice and Clean Looking ...... Great Craftsman ship as well !!!! WOW ...............

Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:28 pm

Thanks so much so far...some more...as for the carpet, I chose not to glue it down, its cheap indoor outdoor and I figure it can be swapped out if gets too dirty after a year or so of use, it was only $2.99 a foot X 9', under $30!  I used standard edge strips at the doors and along the wheel wells and it holds it in place.  Black mats are just utility carpet mats for extra protection, my dog loves to get in van and hang out! Astute observers with notice the edge strips at the sides of the doghouse are an old extra pair of stock front door sill strips I got off a parts van, ya never know when things will come in handy, same for those old coat pole hooks, musta had them in a parts box for over 20 years and they finally found a home!  I put one on each side behind the seats to double as a curtain mount between them.  BTW, all the molding is held on with construction adhesive except for the large crown around the lower roof sides, I screwed that on with metal roof self drilling screws.  When I was all done, I tested all the electrical to make sure I didn't short out any wires in the roof channels, my biggest fear!  Yes Big W, my doors and roof had some kind of nasty tarlike coating on them, probably a sound deadener plus glues with old styrofoam pellets stuck to it, real 1970's era insulation and without a shop to grind, sandblast and re-paint, easier to cover everything, makes the decision easy.  Now if I owned a body shop, and some owners do, it would be a different approach but I've found every van (and all vintage vehicle owners) are in different situations...I do what I can do in my home garage without spending a fortune.....
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:30 pm

Love the nice clean look to your interior! Very nice work and well thought out. I really like the ceiling. Thanks for posting. Always looking for ideas for the future! pirat

Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:23 pm

vanny wrote:Love the nice clean look to your interior! Very nice work and well thought out. I really like the ceiling. Thanks for posting. Always looking for ideas for the future! pirat
    Thanks man! I kinda blended a front porch, boat and office interior together!
    mnghost
    mnghost

Number of posts : 64
    Registration date : 2013-08-28

Post by mnghost Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:50 pm

Nice job on the interior. I like the contrast in colors you put in and the carpet idea is nice in case you do get it dirty beyond cleaning. Also good job on the spare, like the trim ring and center cap look.
    65-G10-guy
    65-G10-guy

Number of posts : 110
    Registration date : 2012-11-16

Post by 65-G10-guy Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:37 pm

Congrat's  that is one beautiful interior. It looks super sanitary and really complements the whole package.  Coat hook and grabs are a great idea too.  Well done!!!
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:10 am

"GREAT JOB" Looks Nice and Clean and it all blends well together..!!!..I also like the roof idea you should be proud of that Van for sure its come a LONG Way since you first got it..!!!... cheers ..Now Enjoy It...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 10:56 pm