VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+9
Magic Bus
Ddavllc
kookykrispy
Vantasia
delraydoug
61econoline
Twinpilot001
tody
Sy Hollinshead
13 posters

Advice on cragar wheels

Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Advice on cragar wheels Empty Advice on cragar wheels

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:32 pm

Hi, i just purchased these wheels on Ebay...

Advice on cragar wheels Wheels-1

They don't come with any nuts or anything and are cragar unilug. Can anybody advise me on what else i need to make them fit my van... Do i need those special washers or anything...?
    tody
    tody

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2010-09-15

Advice on cragar wheels Empty Re: Advice on cragar wheels

Post by tody Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:09 pm

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:48 pm

these are =NOT -Unilug!! The bolt pattern -must be same for the van!  The wheels will take a shouldered bolt & washer or=?? a standard tapered lug nut? go to any tire store & ask . cheers

Last edited by Twinpilot001 on Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:56 pm

They are stamped on the back that they fit 4.5 and 4.75, so what do i need then...?

Advice on cragar wheels Wheels2

Unfortunately i can't just pop down to the local wheel shop as everything in the UK these days is metric, and they wouldn't have a clue about these...!!! A bit like me it would seem...!!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:50 pm

4.5 " bolt circle is -FORDS!! 4.75 is chevy!  Will take a lugnit with a shoulder & usually a flat washer too on outside. show a closeup of the other side where lugs go - is it recessed??

lug studs for ford usually 1/2 " usa chevys 7/16 usa.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:55 pm

get the cragar id fron the inside like 8822?? & google crager wheen model #---??
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:08 pm

The lugs tody posted are what you need.
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:30 pm

Ok, thanks for the help guys. Ordered some of those....  cheers 
    delraydoug
    delraydoug

Number of posts : 210
    Registration date : 2010-07-01

Advice on cragar wheels Empty mcgard diffently the best wheel lugs

Post by delraydoug Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:11 am

http://www.mcgard.com/index.php/automotive-2/lug-nutslug-bolts -- best wheel lugs you can buy gauranteed not to rust
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:13 am

Sy Hollinshead wrote:They are stamped on the back that they fit 4.5 and 4.75, so what do i need then...?

Advice on cragar wheels Wheels2

Unfortunately i can't just pop down to the local wheel shop as everything in the UK these days is metric, and they wouldn't have a clue about these...!!! A bit like me it would seem...!!
    Those holes look like they are very worn, I would not ride on these and return them for a refund. That's the problem with unilugs, they slosh around on the studs if the torque and washer type they were intended for isn't perfect. Find wheels that fit your pattern exact IMHO, brand new Cragar steel wheels like these or the Soft 8's are well under $100 USD each...
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:19 am

It says "fits 4.5, 4.75 BC"  in other words, 'fits 5 on 4&1/2", and 5 on 4&3/4" Bolt Center.

= fits both ford & chevy 5 bolt pattern.   Unilug wheels.  Nothing wrong with that.  Cragar made millions of unilug wheels.  Get the correct 1/2" x 20 mag style lug nuts and the corresponding thick large cragar washers, and go for it.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:09 am

kookykrispy wrote:

It says "fits 4.5, 4.75 BC"  in other words, 'fits 5 on 4&1/2", and 5 on 4&3/4" Bolt Center.

= fits both ford & chevy 5 bolt pattern.   Unilug wheels.  Nothing wrong with that.  Cragar made millions of unilug wheels.  Get the correct 1/2" x 20 mag style lug nuts and the corresponding thick large cragar washers, and go for it.

Here is what I was told by two good mechanics you need in addition to the lugs with washers:
    http://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=wheel%20centric%20rings

Find your hub and wheel hole sizes, these are a must with worn unilug wheels and cheap.  These will center the wheel tight on the hub, they make them for all brands of hubs, GM, Ford, etc, that's what goes in the recessed lip you see on the back in addition to the center cap.  If you call Summit or Jegs, one of their wheel techs will assist you and they ship worldwide, get the wheel model from Cragar. Again, if I had a choice, I would avoid unilugs, all the new Cragars are sold as "direct drill" wheels, one size fits one size only patterns....there is a reason they seem to have discontinued unilugs....http://www.cragarwheel.com/
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:00 pm

true!! yet rest assured- us old guys have used the =uni-lug wheels for years -with not a problem!! Ill add if u r doing a chev -those lugs need to be 7/16" not 1/2 - 1/2 was ford. best check before purchasing the lug nuts!! cheers 
    Ddavllc
    Ddavllc

Number of posts : 127
    Registration date : 2013-11-07

Post by Ddavllc Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:07 pm

If that's your van in the rest of the pic's I would not change them at all... That van is outstanding and the current wheels are a much better choice ---IMHO

Your van Rocks
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:55 pm

Thanks guys, yeah i like the wheels i have, but they are really rusty...!!! The tyres need to come off the wheels so they can be restored properly. The white walls look terrible with rust stains on them. These are a stop gap until i can get them sorted. I may eventually get some larger diameter smoothies, but they are SO expensive over here. The size i want, with decent tyres are going to set me back over $2500...!!!
    Also, i am fed up of having to stop and find those chrome hubcaps when they make a bid for freedom into the nearest field...!!!
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:48 am

Sy Hollinshead wrote:
    Also, i am fed up of having to stop and find those chrome hubcaps when they make a bid for freedom into the nearest field...!!!

Now that's funny!
    FCC
    FCC

Number of posts : 295
    Registration date : 2014-04-29

Post by FCC Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:56 am

Once you get them mounted. Post up on the thread below. Specs of wheels, etc. And PICS!!!

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t41648-the-wheel-thread?highlight=wheel+thread
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:50 am

Will do. The wheels arrived in the post today, very pleased with them. As soon as the lug nuts arrive from the USA i will get the tyres on them and post pics.
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:35 pm

$2500!  affraid  Can't wait to see the pics with the new wheels
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:59 am

OK, so the wheel nuts i bought from the USA have arrived already, much quicker than i expected....!!!

The washers have an off-centre hole in them, presumably this is just so the washer can be positioned so as to cover the hole, as the washers don't locate in anything to centre the wheel.

When i get chance (got a party to go to in a minute), i will put one of the back wheels on without a tyre, and put the rear on axle stands. I can then put the van in drive and check that the wheel is centered with a gauge. This will let me know if the wheels are safe to use. Will post some piccies when i have done it.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:07 am

The Shank on the "Lug Nuts" will centre the "Rim"...The washers will cover the slotted hole... Very Happy ..

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:48 am

Thats what i suspected would be the case. Damn, i wish i wasn't going out in a few minutes!!! Could have popped round to a tyre shop and had them on the car today....!!!
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:07 am

OK, managed to get the new wheels on the van today. I got the local wheel shop to stick the tyres on, but i didn't want any air in the tyres as i wanted to fit the white walls trims. The body shop left the tyres off the beads, as instructed, but when i got home and fitted the white walls, i couldn't get the tyres to pop onto the beads with the air compressor. The tyres were just leaking out of the sides, preventing the pressure from building up. I decided to try the trick with lighter fuel and it worked a treat....!!! I had safety goggles, fire extinguisher and everything at the ready in case it went wrong, but the tyres exploded onto the rims with no issues.

Advice on cragar wheels IMG_0234

Advice on cragar wheels IMG_0238

Advice on cragar wheels IMG_0237

I REALLY, REALLY like these new wheels. I would never have chosen them off the shelf, but they were so cheap ($100) i couldn't pass them up. I applied a turquoise stripe to match the body colour, which finishes them off nicely. The only issue i have now is that the white walls keep coming loose from the tyre bead, will have another go tomorrow, it took a couple of attempts last time i fitted them, but once on they were ok.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:42 pm

Very cool and nice looking! Glad it worked out for you with the centering and the proper lugs.  In America we used call those add on white walls "Portawalls".  A company called Coker tire sells real wide white walls in many widths made from the original Firestone and other brand molds if you want to spring for real ones, they are not much more than regular tyres as you spell them! Look here:
    They have a big selection and probably ship worldwide, certain models are also sold through summit racing. Also, if those are Cragar rims, you can get Cragar center caps with the blue Cragar logo on them, not that expensive but they come in different diameters for different wheels so check the specs.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:55 pm

Wow!!! those looks great on there. Great deal, and I'm glad you were able to get them on. Nice touch also on the stripe....looks very kool.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 7:58 pm