VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
vanny
diamond dave
Twinpilot001
donivan65
veefre
9 posters

Best way to mount a trailer hitch...

veefre
    veefre

Number of posts : 424
    Registration date : 2008-09-10

Best way to mount a trailer hitch... Empty Best way to mount a trailer hitch...

Post by veefre Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:37 am

Wondering if anyone has mounted a trailer hitch on a second gen G van... or 1st gen if it's the same method.

It would be nice to have something capable of towing, say, a motorcycle trailer, or maybe a very small boat. Or to haul a vintage car from point A to point B on local roads, no hills.

In the past I've used a '79 Mitsubishi made mini pickup (Plymouth Arrow, 2.6 liter motor) with a tubular rear Smithy bumper for this. I was able to haul a '50 Plymouth some 25 miles on local roads early one Sunday morning this way.

Looking at the van, it's evident the bumper mounts may not be as sturdy as those on the Arrow. But they do appear to be pretty stout.

The Arrow has been parked for over a decade, though. Seems to need a new head - the old one is cracked and burning too much oil to pass smog. So the van needs to step up to the challenge.

I'd like to keep the stock rear bumper on the van. But I suppose I could unbolt it and put on a different bumper as needed, with an integral trailer hitch if that would work.

Any thoughts? Photos?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Best way to mount a trailer hitch... Empty Re: Best way to mount a trailer hitch...

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:27 pm

I bought a normal receiver,,,,cut the ends off,,,,,made end plates,,,,reinforced the frame rails with 2" square tubing inside it,,,,,added some L brackets,,,,,,,,

Best way to mount a trailer hitch... Hitchp10

Best way to mount a trailer hitch... Hitchd10
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Best way to mount a trailer hitch... Empty Re: Best way to mount a trailer hitch...

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:29 pm

Off the frame rails !!!!! below the bumper & infront of it. That way the stinger is all you see. cheers  My 3rd gen is done that way. craigs list is usually full of hitches & usually cheap too-then get to a welder, or bolt on.
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:10 pm

Thanks guys. When I drop the gas tank to fix the sender leak I'll take a closer look at the rear frame rails. This is for a future project... don't have a trailer to tow at this time.
    diamond dave
    diamond dave

Number of posts : 565
    Registration date : 2012-04-24

Post by diamond dave Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:14 pm

I used one from a jeep liberty. it it the perfect size and mounts like late model van hitches. 4 bolts throught the bottom of the frame rails. the front holes get mounted with carriage bolts through square plates. the rear holes get drilled through the bumper brackets. instead of frame plates on these, I welded nuts to the bumper brackets where the holes come through. that way, I can use bolts on these holes, up from the bottom. unfortunately, photobucket is not working for me right now. I will have to post pics. later.

veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:13 am

That's interesting, Dave. An exact fit, or nearly that, would probably save a lot of time and work.

Any year Liberty would do, I suppose? I don't think that vehicle changed much over its production life. I think it's been superceded by the new Cherokee, anyway.

Looking forward to the photos.
    diamond dave
    diamond dave

Post by diamond dave Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:29 am

here are a couple pics of the install. I used bolts coming down for the rear holes, but , found it to be easier to use bolts up from the bottom for those two, as I stated earlier.

Best way to mount a trailer hitch... Hitch5

Best way to mount a trailer hitch... Hitch4

Best way to mount a trailer hitch... Hitch3

Best way to mount a trailer hitch... Hitch2

Best way to mount a trailer hitch... Hitch7

Best way to mount a trailer hitch... Hitch9

Best way to mount a trailer hitch... Hitch6

Best way to mount a trailer hitch... Hitch8
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:29 am

Great photos, Dave. is there a brand or part number on that hitch? Lots of atermarket ones out there, although that triangulated design looks familiar from the ones I've seen online so far.
    diamond dave
    diamond dave

Post by diamond dave Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:00 pm

im pretty sure mine was a uhaul brand. but it was a little crusty when I got it, and I cleaned it up a bit. theyre all pretty similar. there's actually a recall with the liberty, and they put a hitch on it to beef up the rear end and protect the fuel tank. this one apparently, also protects the hell out of my fuel tank too.
    diamond dave
    diamond dave

Post by diamond dave Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:02 pm

uhaul pn #78262
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:33 pm

Nice work Dave! Looks like you're good to go!  cheers 

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:56 am

Looks Great Dave..!!!...Saves a lot of Guessing,Grinding, and Welding,... I am going that route also..... Very Happy 

Post by diamond dave Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:33 pm

I used it yesterday to move around my large jayco popup. it didn't flex at all when I put it on there. pulling it was what I had in mind when I installed the hitch, but, we don't use the camper, and just stay in the van. so, I sold the camper today. I guess I will have to just build a cycle trailer to haul the bike on vacation . I don't it to go to waste.
    VanHoosierdaddies
    VanHoosierdaddies

Number of posts : 97
    Registration date : 2015-12-28

Post by VanHoosierdaddies Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:02 pm

Hey all, I realize this is fairly old post. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this same U haul hitch 78262 would also work on a 61 Econoline?

Thanks,

Jerry
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:01 am

I ordered hitch #13245 from Curt manufacturing on wed got today it`s a class 3 receiver hitch
    to fit jeep liberty, cost 138.00 shipped.  their website is curtmfg.com.
    thanks go to diamond dave for doing the trial fit, and the heads up on this hitch.
    VanHoosierdaddies
    VanHoosierdaddies

Number of posts : 97
    Registration date : 2015-12-28

Post by VanHoosierdaddies Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:44 pm

panelmanrd wrote:I ordered hitch #13245 from Curt manufacturing on wed got today it`s a class 3 receiver hitch
    to fit jeep liberty, cost 138.00 shipped.  their website is curtmfg.com.
    thanks go to diamond dave for doing the trial fit, and the heads up on this hitch.

Looks like you have a G van, do you happen to know if this will work on my 61 E?
    boogieman
    boogieman

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2015-10-12

Post by boogieman Mon May 09, 2016 3:36 pm

alright something is wrong here, i have a '68 and ordered the blitz/magnus hitch off fleabay for 2008-2012 jeep liberty. the same application as the curt 13245 and the uhaul number..it is too wide for the frame rails!!!! arrrg. i guess ill be having to cut and weld this thing afterall...
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon May 09, 2016 6:32 pm

get a hitch assm. off any 1967-1982++ chev/gmc van. Check it out for fit. Likely a simple mod if even needed I have one yet have not stuck it under the early as yet. Im thinking it will fit fine.mines on a 1982 chev conversion van.
    boogieman
    boogieman

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2015-10-12

Post by boogieman Mon May 09, 2016 8:30 pm

im stuck with this one, ill make it work but wanted to post my experience...not sure we got all the numbers and applications worked out..unless i got a mismanufactured one..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:41 pm