VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
diamond dave
Dodger 359
6 posters

Van-tilation options?

Dodger 359
    Dodger 359

Number of posts : 94
    Registration date : 2013-02-07

Van-tilation options? Empty Van-tilation options?

Post by Dodger 359 Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:57 pm

My 67 panel seems to be breezy up front with vents and windows open, but gets pretty warm for anyone setting in the back. What are some options for air circulation in the back?
    diamond dave
    diamond dave

Number of posts : 565
    Registration date : 2012-04-24

Van-tilation options? Empty Re: Van-tilation options?

Post by diamond dave Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:32 pm

do you have any roof vents of any kind in the rear? I have two small vents in mine. one at the front and one at the back. they are two direction vents. that means that they can open to the front or rear. I open the front one in the front, to draw air in. and the rear on towards the back, to let the air out. it makes a nice flow.
    do your rear doors have windows? or is it a full panel? if there are windows, you could get some pop outs for them.
    Dodger 359
    Dodger 359

Post by Dodger 359 Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:52 pm

I do not have roof vents and my windows are fixed. I have read that pop out cause exhaust to come in while driving. Is that true?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:18 pm

,,,,you can tape some plastic bags to the ceiling and drive it with the front windows and vents open to get an idea of what the air flow is then bungee the side and rear doors open a little with a 2x4 stuck in them to see what the air flow and smell would be if you installed swing out windows or roof vents in there,,,,,just run some tests,,,,,see if things get better.......I used 12 volt oscillating fans on the walls to cool things down.........
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:39 am

Dodger, I have heard as well about the exhaust. But have to say I have been driving around for years with rear pop-outs and "never" had that issue. I do believe if you have your exhaust piped out the back is when you run into this problem. Mine ports in front of the rear wheel on the driver's side and have never had exhaust get sucked in.

Simply put, that hot air needs to be vented somehow......

~Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Van-tilation options? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Dodger 359
    Dodger 359

Post by Dodger 359 Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:23 pm

Thanks for your ideas. I will give them a try. My exhaust exits in front of the rear tire on the drivers side as well.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:54 am

Dodger 359 wrote:I do not have roof vents and my windows are fixed.  I have read that pop out cause exhaust to come in while driving.  Is that true?

I switched my rear door windows from fixed to popout, had no choice here in GA since its so dang hot. There is a very minor whiff of exhaust leaving from a dead stop but other than that I have no issues with exhuast coming inside.

Note however that I run side pipes so my exhaust is blowing out in front of the rear tires. If your pipes come right out the back you may have a problem.

If pop outs arent an option Ive seen small sun roofs cut in back there before and it seems like it would work.
    Gileadgarage
    Gileadgarage

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2013-09-11

Post by Gileadgarage Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:41 pm

You could always install some 12V fans, I see some adjustable, chrome ones on ebay that look pretty cool. Probably not as good as window open, but may do alot.

A vent/fan in the roof would be good too.

I have a window van and only open the side windows, have not tried opening the rear because I was worried about fumes, I would certainly try it if i had no side windows though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 6:14 am