VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Numbers, types, versions to buy, or not to buy ...

Gordon_M
    Gordon_M

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2014-03-23

Numbers, types, versions to buy, or not to buy ... Empty Numbers, types, versions to buy, or not to buy ...

Post by Gordon_M Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:46 am

Good morning all from cold, windy Scotland, where for once it isn't actually raining ( yet )

I've asked these questions elsewhere and been a little underwhelmed by the feedback, maybe they will do better here:

Pickup, Panel, Wagon, Sportsman - what are the relative production percentages ?

I'm still saving to add my first A-100 to the Dodge collection, and I'd rather like an early slant six three speed manual pickup, just wondering if any particular configuration is rare / desirable / impossible to get ?

I'm thinking an early one would be that much simpler - single circuit brakes and so on, and a manual would have a similar transmission to my '39 and '40 Dodges ( I have zero experience with maintaining automatics and experts are fairly thin on the ground here in Scotland )

Any particular years, engines, production plant to look for, or avoid? Whatever I get will just be kept or put back to stock as round here that keeps the maximum value in the vehicle if you have to sell it.

I do like the idea of a V8 auto, just don't know if I'd like to live with one, as round here it would be very expensive to mend if either the engine or the transmission stopped talking to me - hence my focus on a slant six manual.

All advice welcome
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Numbers, types, versions to buy, or not to buy ... Empty Re: Numbers, types, versions to buy, or not to buy ...

Post by dix Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:16 am

I don't have production #'s the slant 6 3 speed is most common, both trans the auto and 3 speed were only used in the a-100 pickup and vans and the a108 vans but not used in any other car or truck. i'd say a spare 3 speed is easier to find then the automatic, ( no one removes a automatic to install a 3 speed ) every one does the 3 speed to automatic swap. the master clyinder and other up grades were made by the end of 1967, the slant 6 engine and the v8 tends to last a very long time the slant 6 should have less overheating problems, I hope this helps point you in the right direction.

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2014-03-23

Numbers, types, versions to buy, or not to buy ... Empty Thanks Dix

Post by Gordon_M Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:05 am

Heart wants a V8, wallet wants a slant six.  In addition it seems like there are more original trucks with the six in, and a good percentage of the V8 trucks started off as sixes and had the V8s retro-fitted some better than others, maybe.

Getting something registered and insured here is much easier if it is fully original than if it has been modified ( such as fitting a V8, even if properly done )  

I've had a look at the manual and the guts of the three speed manual transmission are no big deal to me - already had a couple of trucks with those gears, just with top-mounted gearshift.  Looks like the transmission is unique but only because of the rear adapter to the hanger mount. Conversely I've never owned or worked on a Dodge with an auto box ...

Never owned a slant six either, but got five flathead 230s in the garage at the minute so I'd guess mechanically some similarities there too.  As to lasting a long time, my '39 pickup has the same T72 code engine now as it had when it came down the line.  A lot of my Power Wagon chums have slant six and V8 trucks so I'd guess spares should be no big deal.

Thanks again - anyone else have anything to add?  Oh, and does Chrysler Historical have Build Cards for our trucks like it does for the '39-'47 series ?

Sponsored content

Numbers, types, versions to buy, or not to buy ... Empty Re: Numbers, types, versions to buy, or not to buy ...

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:44 pm