VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
sasktrini
Nightmoves
fmc56
RipVanArkie
donivan65
crazee
10 posters

64 Econoline straight axle rebuild

crazee

Number of posts : 331
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

64 Econoline straight axle rebuild Empty 64 Econoline straight axle rebuild

Post by crazee Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:45 am

My new 64 panel has a front end issue common to these old girls............SLOPPY STEERING. Dangerously sloppy. She wants to dart off to the side if I hit a pot hole or bad surface. Not safe over 40mph at all.

So.........first order of business is a fix. I decided rather than just replacing what is bad...tie rod, drag link, king pins..........I'd be safe & smart and do it all. Be done with it and no worries later.

I've got a few estimates of maybe up to $500 labor if I supply the parts!!!!!!! EEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I'm a good wrench but have never done a set of King Pins.

Is this something a home mechanic can do?

What's involved step by step?

What kind of tools?

I don't mind the work if I can do it. Be a sense of satisfaction..........I'd also know it was done right and I'd save a bundle.

OPINIONS please. Especially from anyone that's done this job.

Smile

THANKS.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

64 Econoline straight axle rebuild Empty Re: 64 Econoline straight axle rebuild

Post by donivan65 Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:18 am

First of all, what type of bushings can you get? Bronze ones last longer but can be harder to install in that they might need to be reamed out to fit the kingpin after they are pressed in. (A machine shop can just run them through their connecting rod resizer to get them to the right size). And if you get the nylon ones, they would just snap in and you would be done. BUT getting the old kingpins out might be a problem,,,,sometines they are rusted in place and wont come out,,,,,and if you beat on them, they flare out and you just make things worst. But it just depends on if the van wants to co operate,,,,,,,if not, break out your wallet. This is a Chevy set up,,,,,,should be about the same as your Ford.......

64 Econoline straight axle rebuild Kp_110

64 Econoline straight axle rebuild Kp_210

64 Econoline straight axle rebuild Kp_310

64 Econoline straight axle rebuild Kp_410

Post by Guest Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:11 pm

My steering was bad, too. turned the steering wheel for about 30°
    and nothing happened.
    checked my tie rods for play and the pitman arm (which was loose)
    I started to replace the kingpins myself and just glanced at the shop manual. when I tried to put the new ones in i realized that I needed to have the correct size reamer for the bushings (they came 30 thousands smaller from rockauto).
    So I took the spindles and kingpins to a machine shop ($40).
    Really easy to put back together.
    When everything was together i realized that the axle bushings for the king pins were worn out, too. I have yet to find a shop to replace these for a reasonable price.
    Steers much better now, just a little play.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:45 pm

So are you saying you got bushings in the axle in addition to the 2 in the spindle?
    crazee

Post by crazee Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:28 pm

My question too!!!
    Like where the axle fits into the spindle has a bushing?

I think I'll block mine up..have a good look see. Then likely go buy a torch, pullers & etc. Do it myself.

Worse gets to worse I guess I could take the axle to a machine shop and have the crap pressed out and in. then reassemble myself.

That should save a bunch plus I can clean and paint all this stuff before it goes back. Paint my belly pan and such too.

Hell, it can't be as bad as the half shafts I just replaced in my old Spitfire.

And I'll have new tools afterward and know it's all done right.
    Smile

I also think I'll go with the nylon bushings as that will make it an easier job. And with proper maintenence they should last just fine.

Whatcha think?

Maybe take pics while I'm at it and post em for the next lucky person to do this.......<wink>
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:24 pm

I would say you are ready to roll,,,,,I don't know that there is a bushing in the axle,,,,,could be if it wore out and someone put a bushing in there to save the axle. And you could start out by undoing the caps, knocking out the pin, (which might be tapered), and put a jack with a socket on it to press the kingpin up and out. Or it might just fall right out and break your toe,,,,,,,

64 Econoline straight axle rebuild Kp_for10
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:19 am

I think they might be referring to the washer/spacers that are between the axle and spindles (top and bottom).

I need to do this with my Chevy now and rebuild the spring like Donivan has.

Good Luck!
    Rip
    crazee

Post by crazee Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:04 am

donivan65 wrote:I would say you are ready to roll,,,,,I don't know that there is a bushing in the axle,,,,,could be if it wore out and someone put a bushing in there to save the axle. And you could start out by undoing the caps, knocking out the pin, (which might be tapered), and put a jack with a socket on it to press the kingpin up and out. Or it might just fall right out and break your toe,,,,,,,

64 Econoline straight axle rebuild Kp_for10

HEY........you have the LINK for that?
    And how about the Nylon Bushing type?
    Can't seem to locate that.
    THANKS.....
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:33 am

The bronze bushings might just fit right in without any reaming,,,,I have not seen the nylon ones for your van yet,,,,,,the website is www.partsamerica.com home of the Checker/Kragen/Shuck/O'reiley /Murrays stores........
    crazee

Post by crazee Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:52 am

donivan65 wrote:The bronze bushings might just fit right in without any reaming,,,,I have not seen the nylon ones for your van yet,,,,,,the website is www.partsamerica.com home of the Checker/Kragen/Shuck/O'reiley /Murrays stores........

COOL.........I guess around my area Parts America is called "ADVANCE AUTO" I just found out. GOOD GUYS TOO! Smile

Now if I could just locate a nice picture by picture instruction on doing King Pins and the rest.............................
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:12 am

Just jump right in on it,,,,,,we are here if you run into any problems. You need to jack it up, pull the wheel and hub off and see what is next to undo the top and bottom caps on the spindle. You might see that the wheel cylinder and steering knuckle are in the way. So you probably got to take off the whole backing plate assembly. Take those 4 bolts out of the backing plate so it looks bare like my pictures,,,,, Then that pin that holds the kingpin shaft in needs to come out, it probably is tapered, so beat on the smaller end to knock it out. You are better off having the new kit next to you so you can recognize what you are doing. But the whole deal is, get that shaft out which lets the spindle come off with the bushings inside it. Its not too complicated once you start it. It's just that if it is rusted, that
    will make the job really hard to get it all apart.....
    crazee

Post by crazee Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:36 pm

Thanks man........
    I do not have a garage ( building one this spring) but I'm gonna jack it up in the driveway.......set it on blocks. And do a good look see to try & identify all issues wrong before I start.

Then I'll start pulling her apart.

I'll take LOADS OF PICS...........post em as I go and ask LOADS OF STUPID QUESTIONS.........:p

Should make a good how2 thread by the time I'm done for those that follow.

I figure I'll do the drag link, tie rods and stabilizers too while I'm at it.

Check the wheel bearings & brakes, etc too!..............Clean & paint it all up.

Be done with all that in front for a long while.

I looked long & hard to get this van...........She's gonna get everything done right and kept FOREVER!

Thanks again...............you guys are great.

Special thanks to you Donivan65!

Smile
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:59 pm

That's why eveyone comes here,,,,,,to have a VANtastic time,,,,,to see vans, buy vans and fix vans. Everything is about Vans,,,,we don't care if they are pretty, ugly, run or are junk,,,,,just keep all that van stuff coming at us!!!!!!
    crazee

Post by crazee Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:54 pm

YEP.....................Smile
    fmc56
    fmc56

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by fmc56 Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:42 pm

Total performance makes a stainless steel / plastic kingpin setup but only for the 61-63 axles. I have installed one set and they went together rasily, still had to ream the bushings though.
    Fred
    crazee

Post by crazee Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:54 pm

fmc56 wrote:Total performance makes a stainless steel / plastic kingpin setup but only for the 61-63 axles. I have installed one set and they went together rasily, still had to ream the bushings though.
    Fred

Wonder why only for those years??????? STRANGE!

Post by Guest Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:48 pm

donivan65 wrote:So are you saying you got bushings in the axle in addition to the 2 in the spindle?

Correct, it was worn out and the previous owner put bushings in there.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:00 pm

Just as long as they didn't add the bushings to make the wrong sized kingpins fit,,,,,,,,,,
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:09 pm

Don...Someone once said'you've got a picture for everything".They were right ! it's like you've documented Everything with pics. And we preciate it.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:44 pm

I just try to provide a starting point for the replys and answers,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:17 am

econorat wrote:
    donivan65 wrote:So are you saying you got bushings in the axle in addition to the 2 in the spindle?

Correct, it was worn out and the previous owner put bushings in there.

So what about this van,,,,,,,you put new kingpins and bushings in it and it still is sloppy because of those bushings added into the axle,,,,,,,is this an original axle,,,,,I don't know that they ever made an axle bushing repair kit,,,,,,you might have a custom made bushing that a machine shop made if you got the original and not some kind of aftermarket solid axle,,,,,,

Post by Guest Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:17 pm

Correct, it's the original axle and a machine shop fitted new axle bushings.
    I haven't found a shop yet that is able to replace it and if I am probably better off finding a used axle from pull a part.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:55 pm

So do both sides have bushings? And how did they do it,,,,2 short bushings on each end? I don't see how the pin would hold anymore if the axle was drilled out oversized for bushings,,,,,,and I cant see how the axle, or those bushings would wear out,,,,,,,the kingpin bushings turn,,,that shaft just sits solidly locked to the axle by the pin,,,,,,,,,the kingpin does not turn unless you got problems with that pin.

Post by Guest Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:56 pm

-both, yes.
    -two short bushings pressed in and honed to king pin size.
    -it's not holding anymore, it restored the original size to the king pin.
    -the van had probably 400k miles on it, they do wear out.
    -true, they don't turn but they are holding force, like ball joints .

The van ran 40 years for Delta airlines, everything is very worn out.
    They rebuilt the 240 three times, which I had to throw away.

Cheers Smile
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:01 pm

Then if they are worn out, then your Camber is off, and maybe Caster, and tires will be wearing out faster,,,,,,I guess we need to find you another front axle. Now what choices does he have?????? 1961 to 1967?????

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:48 pm