VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

front air vents?

64 Hooch Hauler
    64 Hooch Hauler

Number of posts : 84
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

front air vents? Empty front air vents?

Post by 64 Hooch Hauler Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:07 am

My 65 is very drafty, ice cold air coming from under the dash. I closed the rectangular vent, by my feet. Where else to look? Its a ton of air coming in.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

front air vents? Empty Re: front air vents?

Post by Digz Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:32 am

This is whats behind the dash.
    front air vents? Dash_o10
    Unless one of the seams under the windshield is opening up the only other hole should be the heater box. Maybe around the wiper shafts? There is some sheetmetal in the nose that directs air around , possible rust through? Haven't seen that before tho.
    64 Hooch Hauler
    64 Hooch Hauler

Post by 64 Hooch Hauler Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:59 am

Thanks! I'm betting loose wiper mount.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:28 am

take the fan motor out and stuff a rag in there to see if thats where the air is coming from,,,,,,
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:22 pm

Are the baffles intact inside the heater box duct?  They are only spot welded to the control levers, mine where both broken loose after 50 years of use/neglect.  I was able to repair them with pan head screws and washers to form a clamp to reattach them to the lever shaft.  (brazing would be better if you have a welder, I don't) They should also have felt seals around them so you can shut off the outside air coming through the fan with the right side lever to the off position.  The vent door on the drivers side also had a rubber seal or air will come right around it, 1/4" x 1/2" stick on weatherstrip fixes that, I needed that too....
    66BC
    66BC

Number of posts : 159
    Registration date : 2010-01-05

Post by 66BC Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:05 pm

My Brake master cylinder floor plug...the metal part is rotting away so I started messing with it and chipping away at it and has never really fit in snug like it did back its day. The other day getting on the freeway and obviously going faster all of a sudden felt like an airplane losing a door and air just blasting in. My plug was lose enough that the air just blew it out the way to the side but I hadn't noticed yet. I thought something went lose and that air was coming from under the dash. But I quickly remembered I messed with the plug and I never put the floor mat back on. I looked down by my feet and sure enough the exposed hole was there. The air was coming through the master cylinder opening. Just sharing this one, just in case its a similar situation.
    64 Hooch Hauler
    64 Hooch Hauler

Post by 64 Hooch Hauler Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:39 pm

I think it's in the vent system. Ill sort it out when it's not single digits out.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:23 am