VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+18
Digz
jimthefred
m1dadio
66mnecotruck
Wheelie
mikeysly
Bruce67Econoline
Donn
Joe Van
kookykrispy
G-Man
vanner68
EconoUSAparts
dodge man
dutchman101
dix
back2thewoods
wideload
22 posters

CRITICIZING VANS FOR SALE

wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

CRITICIZING VANS FOR SALE  Empty CRITICIZING VANS FOR SALE

Post by wideload Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:30 pm

Just thought it was time to put something out there about this topic. It seems to me that there is a lot of this going on. I just don't understand the point of doing this if your not interested in buying the van or haven't been ask your opinion by someone who is interested. Bashing any van seems to me to be a good way to run off a current member of the forum or possibly prevent a future buyer from joining the forum. Everyone has their own opinion about every van but I don't think it's good policy to be so negative about something that your not directly involved with. When the time comes that you need to or have to sell your van how would you feel about a group, such as this forum, that possibly prevented the sale because of their negative criticism. Anyone can find something that they don't like or something wrong (in their opinion) with any van.

I'm sure that my thoughts are really going to "stir the pot" but I've been there.  If you can't say something positive then why say anything (unless ask).

back2thewoods
    back2thewoods

Number of posts : 842
    Registration date : 2008-05-26

CRITICIZING VANS FOR SALE  Empty Re: CRITICIZING VANS FOR SALE

Post by back2thewoods Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:17 pm

I agree. awhile back I had badmoon rising for sale, took a lot of flack, from a lot of you here. and it was truly a good project for the price.someone good at rust repair would have gotten a good running v-8 with a cool interior, and boy did I get bashed. I love this forum and have dealt with a lot of great people, great tech advice, great vans, keeping these earlys alive is what its all about. one mans trash is another mans treasure.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8728
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:40 pm

I always liked bad moon, when she went up for sale i sent it out to a lot of people ,hoping some one would jump on in, did you sell it ?? Wideload glad you put this up, When i tryed to put a base line with photo's thats all i heard was noise, when the photos and prices were on vans that sold , it appears every one want to buy them for 10 cents on a dollar, just like a gallon of gas ,the prices keep going up.study  cheers cheers 

Number of posts : 107
    Registration date : 2013-07-14

Post by dutchman101 Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:14 pm

Im with you on that not into bashing vans or vanners I am new to the site but have been a vanner for 35 years in that time I have seen some real hack jobs that they think were cool but if I did not like it I did not slam it and I also thought BAD MOON was well worth fixin  cheers 
    dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Post by dodge man Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:48 pm

how can anyone knock one of these old girls, I find it amazing that there are so many people finding fault with some ones hard work, just to get one running after its sat for years is an ability not many people have, like my mother always said if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything,
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:07 pm

I don't have a problem with people pointing out things that others may not realize is wrong or incorrect about a vehicle for sale. I think anyone who is new to these vehicles would appreciate the heads up on it and avoid a possible bad purchase. That to me is different than actually trash talking someones vehicle.
    I think the biggest problem I see is people seem to undervalue these vehicles in general. Build a nice one, do it right getting all the details correct and see how much time and money you have in one. No reason to dump it off cheap just cuz some people are "cheap" and don't realize how nice the vehicle really is. If you want a nice ride then cough up the coin and quit bitchin. Either that or build one if you think everything is so cheap and easy to do. That's my 2 cents.
    back2thewoods
    back2thewoods

Number of posts : 842
    Registration date : 2008-05-26

Post by back2thewoods Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:36 pm

not to get off subject, the status on badmoon, a guy put a down payment on it in late nov. and its still sitting in my driveway, he's got 1 more month if he doesn't, come get it and pay off balance, he'll forefeet his deposit and it will be up for grabs.i really didn't want it sit out for a winter...
    vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by vanner68 Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:06 pm

I've got to agree with Econo, pointing out poor repairs, or areas that appear rusted/bent or just plain wrong comes under 'constructive criticism'.

When it come to early vans, we owners are the only 'experts' out there. Don't believe me? Try to get a van appraised...

Now, saying something is ugly is an opinion, and should be regarded as such.

And then- there are the occasional WTF vans that pop up from time to time....
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:08 pm

I look at it this way, bashing a van for sale and the new owner comes here sees the post about his van and we never see them again, I try to say something nice or don't say anything at all. I still think Badmoon was a deal
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:13 pm

A deal that was just a bit beyond my budget..... well a LOT beyond my budget, since my budget was whatever scrap metal I could cash in....
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:23 pm

Again Chris, analyzing what is being offered up for sale is pretty common place at any site. Done in an informative way is a benefit to members who come to this site for help in locating a good one. Obviously done in a mean fashion it would turn people off. The truth is simply that,the truth and it shouldn't offend people. There's 2 sides to the coin. I feel kinda obligated to share my experience with others who may not have a clue as to what they are looking at. That is another function of this site, to help others locate decent vehicles. I think there's some "middle of the road compromise here" if people just use some common sense and courtesy.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:30 pm

I agree Tim don't want someone looking to buy a total piece of crap, many listings are over priced some under (not as many as there use to be). Instead of bashing maybe we should give them a idea what that project will cost to finish
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:44 pm

I don't consider constructive criticism bashing if done in a nice way. Obviously there's more than one way to guide someone to a good vehicle. I don't have the miracle answer here, maybe just everyone should think before they rip the hell out of someones ride purely for their own amusement.
    One thing that is my pet peeve though is when a seller deliberately misleads someone in their add. Admittedly I'm gonna call em out on it if I see it. I hate dishonest sellers.
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:56 pm

We're talking about vans that are for sale in a real way.  We're not doing anyone a favor by trying to sugarcoat some van for sale by saying its a good deal on a nice van when it really is an overpriced P.O.S.

If you put your van up for sale on a public market site, such as Craigslist, or ebay, its going to get talked about… and critically discussed.  If you don't want that, don't put it out in the public eye.  Sell it privately to a friend or something.

Its very worthwhile to talk about vans for sale when they come up.  There is a whole lot of junk out there that has been abused, neglected and unfortunately butchered (poorly customized).  

If a van is nice or is clean and has good potential, and is a good deal, that certainly will be discussed too.  And then it will usually sell very quickly!  Lots of detailed pics, of the good, the bad and the ugly will help sell a van, no matter what its condition.  I have sold vehicles online successfully, and I always post a TON of pics.  If I sell a vehicle on ebay, I will post up at least 40-50 photos.  I'm not exaggerating.  I have no idea why someone would attempt to sell something online and then not put plenty of pics up to try and showcase it and try and show everything you possibly can.  I just don't get it.  I have sold nice cars, and also rusted piles of junk.  I sold a rusty hulk of a '62 dart on ebay.  I listed it honestly, with lots of photos.  The guy who bought it lived in Finland and had it shipped there. He spent twice on shipping compared to what the car actually cost him. He took a chance and bought a car on the other side of the world relying solely on my description and photos. Ultimately he was very happy with it and thanked me for being honest about the rust damage it had. He left me positive feedback praising me for the vehicle being 'exactly as described'. 

I get highly suspicious when a seller is trying to hide stuff by not posting enough pictures, and making unrealistic claims in the ad.  The only thing that is really going to get bashed is a dishonest seller trying to play games and misrepresent what he has for sale, or somehow try to dupe an unsuspecting buyer by hiding the defects the van has, or not fully showing them or fully disclosing them.  

The fact is, there is a high potential to get ripped off if you buy a van that has been misrepresented, or has hidden damage or rust or whatever.  Rust repair can cost thousands of dollars, or become so extensive that the van is no longer worth it.  I feel discussion of all those aspects of any van for sale is welcome and quite appropriate.  The buyer must absolutely beware when looking for a van.  A critical discussion of vans for sale on this forum is very helpful.  Its usually coming from guys who have 'been there' and 'done that', having bought a van with hidden damage or other flaws that were not properly disclosed, and feel the need to pass along their thoughts in hopes to help others avoid a similar ill advised fate.

Please, lets not let the P.C. police run the show around here.  Trying to regulate what people say about vans for sale is just going overboard.

I don't agree that anyone here is 'bashing' vans for sale.  If there is an example of "bashing", I'd like to see it, so we can discuss what was said critically.  If anyone has a link, please post.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:45 am

"[quote]" kookykrispy.....I don't agree that anyone here is 'bashing' vans for sale.  If there is an example of "bashing", I'd like to see it, so we can discuss what was said critically.  If anyone has a link, please post.................                                                                                                                                  Sorry Guy's this was in the G section Only lets start with theses.... This poor thing used to be a 1st gen.  
    What a waste......Hey it's got gull wing doors, she might be able to fly when you run it over a cliff! Idea...... some things should just be =CRUSHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  affraid  ......... I hate Scooby vans and get insulted when my van is called a Scooby van its a f**king dodge the mystery machine was a chevy 2 entirely different vans.......I texted this cat with some questions about his van and this guy is way put out to answer simple questions goodluck dealing with this d-bag........  Negative $1000 for the Scooby reference though scratch....That thing looks like an abortion......Dude, a year with that? Then you might be done fixing the rust dripping from under the bondo, covering that stupid vertical side window (looks like a glass refrigerator door at a liquor store) and fixing the rounded rear end. It looks like a bad VW.  .....Dude! WTF are people thinking????......F that guy. That van isn't worth what he's asking.......No rear door handle or license plate light. Guess this is a daytime only drive Guy's either got buyers remorse or he's a flipper......JJUUNNKK ...."300,000 miles approximate throughout the full life of the vehicle.""NADA guides average retail for this van is $5,175"Yea, NOT  affraid   NOT THAT VAN!!..LOL....That has to be the worst van.......................DO I need to go on A Van's and E Van's also.???...

Last edited by JOE VAN on Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:45 am

JOE VAN I would agree with about half of that being rude or bashing,the other half isn't so bad. Stating facts isn't bashing so no harm there. Rudeness in any fashion should be discouraged. I agree, I've seen it, BASH HAPPENS. Best we can do is try and be aware of what we say and if someone is way outta line a mod. can remove it if its considered inappropriate conduct. I used to have a shirt that said "Don't be a dick". Maybe we should all try and remember that,lol.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:15 am

Thanks EconoUSAparts I will take being half right... Smile .. And I did not mean to call Anyone Out.!!!. But this a BIG issue we need to Nip in the Bud we all have a opinion and can express it but when people start going Over Board and Bashing a Van because it it not there Taste it makes the Person and this Site look Bad and in a few cases have Discouraged the Sale and Possible New Member's...Dix had a Good Idea and started a New Thread to get Some Kind of Current value on theses Early's witch is WELL OVER DUE and it went South...I have GOOD reason why I joined VV and not any other Web Site for that same Issue (Bashing).!!!..What might be a Piece of Junk to Someone may be a Great find to Someone else.!!!. And for the record I am not a Member of the PC Police..LOL.. Smile .It's..JMO...
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:46 am

I wouldn't say the pricing thread went south, just that a general guideline was posted that most agreed with.

As far as bashing a seller that won't answer questions, bash away! If you are selling ANYTHING, you have to be a salesman. That means answering questions., Nobody's junk is so great that paople are waiting in line waving wads of cash, everybody likes to know exactly what they are getting.
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:00 am

JOE VAN wrote:"
                                                                                                                                     Sorry Guy's this was in the G section Only lets start with theses.... This poor thing used to be a 1st gen.  
    What a waste......Hey it's got gull wing doors, she might be able to fly when you run it over a cliff! Idea...... some things should just be =CRUSHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  affraid  ......... I hate Scooby vans and get insulted when my van is called a Scooby van its a f**king dodge the mystery machine was a chevy 2 entirely different vans.......I texted this cat with some questions about his van and this guy is way put out to answer simple questions goodluck dealing with this d-bag........  Negative $1000 for the Scooby reference though scratch....That thing looks like an abortion......Dude, a year with that? Then you might be done fixing the rust dripping from under the bondo, covering that stupid vertical side window (looks like a glass refrigerator door at a liquor store) and fixing the rounded rear end. It looks like a bad VW.  .....Dude! WTF are people thinking????......F that guy. That van isn't worth what he's asking.......No rear door handle or license plate light. Guess this is a daytime only drive Guy's either got buyers remorse or he's a flipper......JJUUNNKK ...."300,000 miles approximate throughout the full life of the vehicle.""NADA guides average retail for this van is $5,175"Yea, NOT  affraid   NOT THAT VAN!!..LOL....That has to be the worst van.......................DO I need to go on A Van's and E Van's also.???...
    [/quote]

This is exactly the type of comments I was referring to. I called it "bashing" you can call it what ever you want but I don't consider it constructive criticism. I'm definitely not the "PC police" and to the best of my knowledge no one appointed any of us the "Van Police" either. It's good to be able to help a prospective buyer by pointing out problems with a van when ask by the prospective buyer, but wait until they ask!!! These type of comments only hurt the seller (who could possibly be a member here) because most of the comments are made as soon as the van hits the for sale ads and no one even knows if there is a prospective buyer involved. If a buyer wants an opinion and is familiar enough with forums to sign up it's pretty obvious they can get all the opinions they want just by asking.

kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:33 am

JOE VAN wrote:"
    " kookykrispy.....I don't agree that anyone here is 'bashing' vans for sale.  If there is an example of "bashing", I'd like to see it, so we can discuss what was said critically.  If anyone has a link, please post.................                                                                                                                                  Sorry Guy's this was in the G section Only lets start with theses.... This poor thing used to be a 1st gen.  

These quotes are taken out of context, without reference to who said them and where or when they said them, or to what van they were referring to. This poorly punctuated strung together babble means nothing.

I asked for links so we could examine the vans that were being discussed, and talk about the exact quote in context of who said what on a case by case basis. If you want to take stuff out of context and string them all together for shock value, then the quotes have no relevance.
    Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Post by Donn Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:40 am

I think you are being overly sensitive . The van in question was obviously not a member here.
    The front end was done in pour taste, it looked ridicules to most of us that commented on it. I did say "us" as I was one of the offenders. If you do a custom look like that you will have some, not sure how many, like it and some who hate it. Deal with it.
    I have my pickup done as a gasser, front end up in the air. I have had people say to me why would you ruin the look of that old pickup by doing that? I didn't cry about it, it's cool they don't get it. I  like they don't.
    This van was not put into the "members" forum and bashed. That would be a different story.
    Scooby vans, come on.. most of us here don't like them. Maybe no one wants to say so in this post but it's true. I would say we as a hole are a very positive forum, the exception being Scooby's or over the top ugly customs.
    Everyone does not have my great taste.
    Go ahead and bash me, I'm ready..
    "
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8728
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:27 am

Donn i like the look that you wanted and built, the best part is with about 1 days work yours can be put back to stock, (Dare to be different,) As far as the Scooby vans go, W e have 1 at the van show every year at Butler, And he wins something in his class, for the most part we have to look at the entire build, inside/outside/wheels paint/ and also theme, In a show the use of 5 colors of paint trumps 1 color Also the inside is almost allways done, I'd rather see people all saying thats a scooby van , opposed to a child molesters van or any other bad things TV makes them out to be,
    People relate to cars and tv, Bullet, mustang, knight rider , firebird , starsky & hutch, Dukes of hassard, it's just a way for people to brake the ice and start a conversation

Post by vanner68 Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:04 pm

Dix- that particular Scooby van is the one that changed my outlook. It was done as a family effort, because they really like the whole Scooby Doo history and feeling. That I can respect. I would be shocked to that van up for sale any time soon.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Post by dodge man Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:20 pm

CRITICIZING VANS FOR SALE  17436610
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Number of posts : 809
    Registration date : 2014-01-25

Post by Bruce67Econoline Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:42 pm

I am guilty of the gull wing door joke. It was not a great van in my opinion. The quality looked shoody at best, and over priced again my opinion
    I am new and it will not happen again. Lesson learned.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:16 am